Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys I have a problem with my mk3 diesel focus st. Intermittently it throws up engine service now on the dash which causes the car to have a loss of power but its not limp mode, its more like a limiting of air flow through the car.

Diagnosed as possible EGR by 2 garages. Replaced no difference. Boost solenoid also replaced no real difference. Smoke Test showed no boost leaks. Throttle body cleaned, then replaced as it was cheap incase this had a fault. No difference. Suggested it could have had a bad remap. Factory map loaded on to the car. No difference.

codes that are getting thrown up now are

P02FA Diesel intake airflow position sensor minimum/ maximum Stop Performance

P02E3 Diesel Intake Airflow Control Circuit High

P003A Turbocharger/supercharger Boost control A position exceeded learning limit

Also very intermittent P027C Fuel Pump Control Module "B" Control Circuit Low.

When Engine Service Now comes up and the car is turned off and then back on it will go away and then come back some time in the near future.

Any suggestions guys? I've been trying to solve this for months now starting to do my head in lol.
It's your intercooler 99% .
The active grille / Kysor grille wears it's way through the bottom fins but it doesn't show up on the smoke test as the rubber seal on the active grille manages to block the split whilst doing a pressure test .
Have a look for any signs of oil splatter on the intercooler through the front bumper .
You may need to remove your front bumper for further inspection.
I hope this is your fix mate , good luck.

As for the other members who were upset that I hadn't revealed my fix immediately all I can do is apologise, I wasn't certain my car was fully fixed at that point as I hadn't put everything back together and road tested the car .

That being said ,I think the way most of you responded to me was very unwelcoming seeing as I'm a newbie .
I know where I'm not welcome.
Hope the OP fixes his car ..

·
Registered
679 Posts
The active grille / Kysor grille wears it's way through the bottom fins but it doesn't show up on the smoke test as the rubber seal on the active grille manages to block the split whilst doing a pressure test .
Have a look for any signs of oil splatter on the intercooler through the front bumper .

As for the other members who were upset that I hadn't revealed my fix immediately all I can do is apologise, I wasn't certain my car was fully fixed at that point as I hadn't put everything back together and road tested the car .

That being said ,I think the way most of you responded to me was very unwelcoming seeing as I'm a newbie .
Some interesting info there - I certainly wouldn't have thought intercooler.. but every days a school day as they say! With this info in mind, I hope you both get you cars sorted and running perfectly again!

Takes a big man to apologise, top stuff! I must admit I read your post before Sean added his and as I read it said to myself 'well come on tell us then' lol which I'm sure everyone else did as well hence the response you got.

As regards you not being welcome I do not agree, you own an ST and clearly have knowledge and enthusiasm for the car... members like that are always welcome on any car forum! I think the problem arose with your retaliation to Sean after he asked a simple question that all of us had probably asked in our head after reading your first post (as I mentioned, I had done exactly that!) - people were only unwelcoming to you, because you were offensive to a long term forum member and mod,, I think on any forum with long term members, we'll all be agreed on the fact they stick together when such things happen!
The guys here are always very welcoming to new members - especially if their introduction is done in the correct way!

You've apologised.. take it on the chin and lets all move on, you're most welcome here mate.. we all share an interest/obsession with the same cars :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some interesting info there - I certainly wouldn't have thought intercooler.. but every days a school day as they say! With this info in mind, I hope you both get you cars sorted and running perfectly again!

Takes a big man to apologise, top stuff! I must admit I read your post before Sean added his and as I read it said to myself 'well come on tell us then' lol which I'm sure everyone else did as well hence the response you got.

As regards you not being welcome I do not agree, you own an ST and clearly have knowledge and enthusiasm for the car... members like that are always welcome on any car forum! I think the problem arose with your retaliation to Sean after he asked a simple question that all of us had probably asked in our head after reading your first post (as I mentioned, I had done exactly that!) - people were only unwelcoming to you, because you were offensive to a long term forum member and mod,, I think on any forum with long term members, we'll all be agreed on the fact they stick together when such things happen!
The guys here are always very welcoming to new members - especially if their introduction is done in the correct way!

You've apologised.. take it on the chin and lets all move on, you're most welcome here mate.. we all share an interest/obsession with the same cars :)
Thanks very much mate .

·
Premium Member
2015 (65) ST-2 TDCi 185ps Estate in Deep Impact Blue
222 Posts

Thanks for posting up the details on your findings with your car. As a fellow diesel ST owner, I’m always interested in any information like this on other owners experiences.
Hope you manage to get yours sorted and your feedback is also useful for the OP getting theirs sorted too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys I have a problem with my mk3 diesel focus st. Intermittently it throws up engine service now on the dash which causes the car to have a loss of power but its not limp mode, its more like a limiting of air flow through the car.

Diagnosed as possible EGR by 2 garages. Replaced no difference. Boost solenoid also replaced no real difference. Smoke Test showed no boost leaks. Throttle body cleaned, then replaced as it was cheap incase this had a fault. No difference. Suggested it could have had a bad remap. Factory map loaded on to the car. No difference.

codes that are getting thrown up now are

P02FA Diesel intake airflow position sensor minimum/ maximum Stop Performance

P02E3 Diesel Intake Airflow Control Circuit High

P003A Turbocharger/supercharger Boost control A position exceeded learning limit

Also very intermittent P027C Fuel Pump Control Module "B" Control Circuit Low.

When Engine Service Now comes up and the car is turned off and then back on it will go away and then come back some time in the near future.

Any suggestions guys? I've been trying to solve this for months now starting to do my head in lol.
I experienced the exact symptoms as you describe here and , after changing the maf and checking almost everything else I found it to be the intercooler .
Now I can't say for certain that this will be what is wrong with your car , I can predict that there must be other tdci owners who will get this issue.
I'm attaching pictures of the damage to my intercooler caused by the active grille basically wearing its way through the plastic end tanks and eventually destroying the lower part of the alloy fin , allowing a massive air leak to occur .

Hope this helps you or some other members .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 (65) ST-2 TDCi 185ps Estate in Deep Impact Blue
222 Posts
OMG, that's a right ole mess, no wonder you was having problems. What caused all that oily sludge mess on it as well ? Can't say that I've had these symptoms with my car, but will definitely be checking my intercooler now to make sure mine isn't going the same way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OMG, that's a right ole mess, no wonder you was having problems. What caused all that oily sludge mess on it as well ? Can't say that I've had these symptoms with my car, but will definitely be checking my intercooler now to make sure mine isn't going the same way.
I know , it was a total mess .
It's normal to have a bit of oil running around the system but it was blowing out of the holes in the intercooler.
I'm amazed that I wasn't get the engine light constantly but it would go for days with no issues.
Madness.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts