Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I’ve bought a Mk3 RS genuine spoiler, that I’m hoping to take apart to paint and fit to the ST-3.
Does anyone know how to take it apart without breaking it? The bodyshop want it separated for painting

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi folks

I’ve bought a Mk3 RS genuine spoiler, that I’m hoping to take apart to paint and fit to the ST-3.
Does anyone know how to take it apart without breaking it? The bodyshop want it separated for painting

Any help would be appreciated
Im a painter iv done a few of them. They cant be taken apart if OEM, the aftermarket ones can be. Dont even try it either, you will crack it 100 percent on the centre section if you try. Its bonded on there real good... You need to mask it off and its a pain to mask it off properly.

I take out the two bolts underneath the spoiler in order to lift the centre section (black section with two tabs coming down). This allows me to paint under them before bolting them back down. The edges need masked and you need to use numerious peices to complete this, you need to leave enough room to get in the groove so you dont cause an edge, but go close enough so you dont paint the black section. If you get overspray on the black section use a tiny plastic tool to scrape it off, once dry.

Essentially the whole black section of the spoiler needs masked and wrapped. Take the two bolts out this section to get under the part where it makes contact to the colored section. Hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im a painter iv done a few of them. They cant be taken apart if OEM, the aftermarket ones can be. Dont even try it either, you will crack it 100 percent on the centre section if you try. Its bonded on there real good... You need to mask it off and its a pain to mask it off properly.

I take out the two bolts underneath the spoiler in order to lift the centre section (black section with two tabs coming down). This allows me to paint under them before bolting them back down. The edges need masked and you need to use numerious peices to complete this, you need to leave enough room to get in the groove so you dont cause an edge, but go close enough so you dont paint the black section. If you get overspray on the section use a tiny plastic tool to scrape it off once dry.

Essentially the whole black section of the spoiler needs masked and wrapped. Take the two bolts out this section to get under the part where it makes contact to the colored section. Hope this helps
Hi Siye

I was hoping to paint it gloss black,
Have you done any in that colour?

The bodyshop said they won’t get a great finish on it if it’s one piece, but if I can’t get it apart, there’s not much I can do you know…

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi Siye

I was hoping to paint it gloss black,
Have you done any in that colour?

The bodyshop said they won’t get a great finish on it if it’s one piece, but if I can’t get it apart, there’s not much I can do you know…
Unsure why they couldnt get a good finish, they may be referring to not being able to flat and buff certain area's afterwards. I personally think you only need to flat and buff the main area's you can see (section with RS logo and edges) this will eliminate any orange peel/fish eyes etc that you can see.

I use an oven booth so my finishes are always come out decent enough, even this time of year when moisture can be an issue. I would suggest them to do it anyway, i cant see it being a bad job if they flat and buff the outer parts like i do. Iv never had an issue. The other option is paint the whole thing gloss black but honestly i dont know how that would look. Either ask them to mask it or maybe find a different painter?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unsure why they couldnt get a good finish, they may be referring to not being able to flat and buff certain area's afterwards. I personally think you only need to flat and buff the main area's you can see (section with RS logo and edges) this will eliminate any orange orange peel/fish eyes etc that you can see.

I use an oven booth so my finishes are always come out decent enough, even this time of year when moisture can be an issue. I would suggest them to do it anyway, i cant see it being a bad job if they flat and buff the outer parts like i do. Iv never had an issue. The other option is paint the whole thing gloss black but honestly i dont know how that would look. Either ask them to mask it or maybe find a different painter?

Can you pm me to see if your local?
The painter is good I’ve used him before, I think he’s just concerned about possibly leaving a rough finish, he does take pride in his work 👍

·
Registered
380 Posts
I work through insurance, although i do find time for my own jobs here and there.. im going to be flat out for next few weeks. Depends how quickly you want it done really. I would tell him to paint it. Put it on the car and 3 days later and flat and buff it on the car. Thats your best option. The parts underneeth you cant reach with a DA/BUFFER dont see much light and you honestly wont see any inperfections. If he has a booth there shouldnt be any **** in the finish either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I work through insurance, although i do find time for my own jobs here and there.. im going to be flat out for next few weeks. Depends how quickly you want it done really. I would tell him to paint it. Put it on the car and 3 days later and flat and buff it on the car. Thats your best option. The parts underneeth you cant each with a DA/BUFFER dont see much light and you honestly wont see any inperfections. If he has a booth there shouldnt be any **** in the finish either.

I’ve sent you a pm bud

·
Registered
380 Posts
I’ve sent you a pm bud
Hi mate, its not letting me send what i want to send in PM so ill reply here. Im going to be flat out for next few weeks and i cant guarantee a date or even when ill have the time as my jobs are piling up, at the minute.

The body shop that said it was "impossible" to be painted without disassembly must be be rubbish, my end result/finish on this was great it was like glass after a flat&buff. Go elsewhere and find a proper painter. I painted this one a few weeks ago from nitrious blue to frozen white. As you can see i wrapped the centre only (even wrapped it in some old xmas wrap as i ran out of the brown stuff)and loosen the bolts underneeth to get enough paint under the two parts coming down. I really made sure i base coated under them at the start too. I covered the hard to reach area's first then painted like normal. The painting part is easy, the masking is the hard part. Its time consuming to get it right with the perfect gap so you get in the grooves and dont cause an edge. I did this using MANY peices of masking tape, it requires time but zero skill.

Job turned out mint, had to use a tiny plastic pry tool to scatch the tiniest amount of overspray off the part where the black peice connects to the sides of the spoiler from the inside, i did this deliberately though as i just wanted to make sure i got deep in those grooves. Obviously if you slot the masking tape into those grooves no paint will get in and you will have an edge... An edge will possibly cause paint to come off under a jet wash etc... Its no good so i did a proper job, cleaned up after. Then the job was perfect.
Umbrella Fixture Shade Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi mate, its not letting me send what i want to send in PM so ill reply here. Im going to be flat out for next few weeks and i cant guarantee a date or even when ill have the time as my jobs are piling up, at the minute.

The body shop that said it was "impossible" to be painted without disassembly must be be rubbish, my end result/finish on this was great it was like glass after a flat&buff. Go elsewhere and find a proper painter. I painted this one a few weeks ago from nitrious blue to frozen white. As you can see i wrapped the centre only (even wrapped it in some old xmas wrap as i ran out of the brown stuff)and loosen the bolts underneeth to get enough paint under the two parts coming down. I really made sure i base coated under them at the start too. I covered the hard to reach area's first then painted like normal. The painting part is easy, the masking is the hard part. Its time consuming to get it right with the perfect gap so you get in the grooves and dont cause an edge.

Job turned out mint, had to use a tiny plastic pry tool to scatch the tiniest amount of overspray off the part where the black peice connects to the sides of the spoiler from the inside, i did this deliberately though as i just wanted to make sure i got deep in those grooves. Obviously if you slot the masking tape into those grooves no paint will get in and you will have an edge... An edge will possibly cause paint to come off under a jet wash etc... Its no good so i did a proper job, cleaned up after. Then the job was perfect.
View attachment 903975
Hi Siye
That’s exactly what I’m looking for …. I’m going to try a couple of other places to see if I can get it done elsewhere.

Thanks for the picture, as you say it’s not impossible

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi Siye
That’s exactly what I’m looking for …. I’m going to try a couple of other places to see if I can get it done elsewhere.

Thanks for the picture, as you say it’s not impossible
Its far from impossible mate. Sorry i cant be more help. Id honestly do it if i had the time but this time of year its usually always very busy for me. If you have anymore questions just ask mate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.