Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Focus Diesel newbe here.

I can't seem to be able to tell the difference in sport mode. I've changed modes with light and moderate throttle but doesn't change the way the car accelerates.

I'm comparing the sport mode to a MK8 fiesta which is noticeably better.

·
Registered
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,622 Posts
Focus Diesel newbe here.

I can't seem to be able to tell the difference in sport mode. I've changed modes with light and moderate throttle but doesn't change the way the car accelerates.

I'm comparing the sport mode to a MK8 fiesta which is noticeably better.
I would expect in sport mode to feel a better throttle response.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
It's a diesel,they aren't known or purchased for good throttle response.
Ooo. That's a little harsh!!! :lmao: To be honest the old Mondeo STD (still don't like calling it that!) would outdrag an ST24 or ST200 in first & second gear from a standing start!

Looking on the Ford website their explanation of 'sport' mode makes no reference to any increases in power:

Sport Mode - No engine torque reduction from traction control and ESC systems, and reduced ESC brake interventions to facilitate more sporty driving; ETS is disabled.

It is all about reducing the electronic driver aids/babysitting features to make the car more 'exciting' to drive. Admittedly you are driving a diesel......... :whistle:

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I had a MK3.5 diesel ST myself before moving onto petrol MK4. If you want performance and throttle response, you don't buy a diesel. Wasn't meaning to sound harsh, apologies if it came across that way!
Don't worry. We all have a little bit of a dig at the diesel 'ST's!!!

So basically the Sport buttons does F'all on the diesel.
To be fair it does the same as the petrol ST's. I put the car in 'Sport' mode as a matter of course every time I start her up a bit like I always turned off the ESC on the previous 500 every time I drove her. You only really notice it if you are pushing on a bit in that it reduces the electronic babysitting features by a tiny amount.

Now track & drift modes on the Mk3 RS are a different matter altogether!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can only compare sport mode with my mk8 fiesta which noticeably improved the throttle response. I guess on the diesel it doesn't have an affect on performance at all? So useless on the motorway for a bit of extra torque.

·
Registered
2021 Mercedes AMG CLA 35 Premium
2,034 Posts
I can only compare sport mode with my mk8 fiesta which noticeably improved the throttle response.
I guess on the diesel it doesn't have an affect on performance at all?
So useless on the motorway for a bit of extra torque.
It doesn't have any effect on performance of the Fiesta either.
This is not a magic button that boosts power. :D
It seems like your expectations and/or choice of words are wrong. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
As far as Im aware the Sport button alters the pedal map rather than the torque or power output of the engine. This more sensitive pedal map alters the feel of the power delivery. This is the case in both the Fiesta and the Focus.

·
Registered
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,622 Posts
Now track & drift modes on the Mk3 RS are a different matter altogether!!
Certainly makes a difference in track mode love snapping the back end out down Castle Combe on some of the corners :)

Dont use drift mode often only when rear tyres are at the end of their life and find a big empty car park to do some doughnuts :whistle: :lol:

·
Registered
252 Posts
This might not be fully relevent i just got a Focus ST-Line Vignale 1.5 diesel auto as my work car, this also has a sport button and i must say i was pretty impressed with how it changes the car, the gearbox changes much quicker and holds on to gears much longer in D mode in M mode using the paddles its very swift up and down the box but it does restrict you to 7 speeds rather than 8 speeds in normal D mode and you cant have 7th below 2,500rpm, the throttle responce is much sharper espeacially for a diesel , i was pretty impressed overall with Sport mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts