Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
after i had my sportcat/downpipe combo fitted the light came on, collins said it was probably a bad seal so get garage to take off and refit with new gaskets which they did and everything ok, now 2 months later its back on, done the kam fuse but it only stays out for about 50 mile before coming back on, couldnt be the gasket again could it? or is there some other common problem i should be looking for? booked into ford on wednesday as the xenons have stopped self levelling, will ask them to diagnose it but as soon as they see a modded car they just seem to lose interest, {no doubt lights will have stopped working cos of the eibachs and mil light is because of the exhaust, any excuse for them not to fix things under warranty}

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
If its a 100cell cat then highly likely it will just keep coming back on. Mongoose cats are 100cell and can bring the lights on ive seenit quite often now.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
yep, mines on all the time. i just ignore it! have heard it may may be the MAF sensor that needs cleaning/adjusting but i may be thinking of another issue!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
200 cell cat is whats fitted, i fitted it on the assurance the light wont come on which collins insisted it wouldnt, may have to invest in a scangauge or something as hate warning lights on the dash

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Well the mil light only comes on when the emissions isnt right. So you may have a dodgy lambda, best get it on an emissions testing machine and see what lambda number youve got, should be about 1

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
If you can get someone with a DS handset or a Scanguage to read what the DTC code is! That should give you a clue! The 200 cpi cat should not bring on the MIL light! Im running a 100 cpi that did for a couple of weeks after a service bring it up but only after about 400 miles having cleared it! It stopped doing it after a while! Might just be a faulty sensor?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 28 Dec 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you can get someone with a DS handset or a Scanguage to read what the DTC code is! That should give you a clue! The 200 cpi cat should not bring on the MIL light! Im running a 100 cpi that did for a couple of weeks after a service bring it up but only after about 400 miles having cleared it! It stopped doing it after a while! Might just be a faulty sensor?

i was hoping that when its in on wednesday for the lights if they dont fix it they will at least tell me what the problem is

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
As fishy said it may be the lambda sensor on the cat? If so it will show up on a fault code reader.

I know Janspeed had a dodgy batch of cat's a while back which kept throwing up faults, not heard of any faults with mongoose though?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I got a full Mongoose system fitted with a sports cat and up to know the Mil light has never come on.

Done a few thousand miles with no issues.

I don't know if mine is a 100 or 200 cell.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yes all MOT stations carry an emissions machine.

Your lambda should be between 0.97 - 1.03, 1.00 is bang on but anywhere between 0.97 and 1.03 is acceptable.

Also get them to check the CO it should be as close to 0.00% as possible (max allowable is 0.20%)

And get them to check the HC it should be as close to 000ppm (max allowable is 200ppm)

Plus get it code read as there is over 1100 fault codes that can bring the MIL light on.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Ive had my 100cell GGR sportscat fitted since june and the MIL light has never come on !!!!

As said mate get the emissions checked out and then have them check for the fault code !. It maybe the lambda sensor itself as they can get damaged when removed / refitted into the cat.

Hope it gets sorted mate !!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wel after much argueing with ford about who should pay for the 1 hr labour as the mil light is due to exhaust and therefore not under warranty{ i won btw}
its showing up as P0420 CATALYST SYSTEM EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHHOLD now how right or wrong the ford tech diagnosis is i dont know but here is his version as he put it to me "the sensor that should take the reading as the gases leave the cat looks to be in the wrong hole, therefore its getting its 2nd reading from before the cat, so the reading for the emissions is the same as going in as it is going out {decat?}"
that said, at the rear of the cat there is a blank for a sensor but the wire on the 2nd sensor doesnt look like it would reach this rearmost plughole anyway, can anyone shed any light as i dont know wether he was just
off or what

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Ah-ha! That'll be it mate.

Your Ford techie is right, the sensor should be in the hole past where the cat section is - this does at first look too far for the cable to reach but it does if you pull the plug out of the retainer at the back of the subframe, then also pull out the fir-tree clip holding down the O2 sensor lead. Then reach back into the subframe and on the O2 wiring going up to the engine etc there's a clip securing the cable onto one of the mounting studs for the front arb - you can either try and open this retainer up or pull it off the stud, either way this gives you enough slack to connect to the right point for the sensor.

With the length of cable hanging down from the sensor if you've left the fir-tree clip attached you can pop a small hole in the heatshield and secure it there.

Hope that helps, i did see photos of the longer routing for the sensor maybe in a post fishy make ages ago but not sure.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cheers troy
back to motorscope it is then as i,m not paying someone to fit something for me and then have to **** about with it myself, btw if the sensor is in the wrong hole what should be in the hole that its in now {if that makes sense}

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE(loko @ 30 Dec 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cheers troy
back to motorscope it is then as i,m not paying someone to fit something for me and then have to **** about with it myself, btw if the sensor is in the wrong hole what should be in the hole that its in now {if that makes sense}

additional hole for exhaust temp sensor or air fuel ratio sensor when used with dashdaq ( or similar ) etc....!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts