Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt or gloss black grilles and fog surrounds?
Matt black515.15%
Gloss black2266.67%
Leave them as they are39.09%
Other (please specify)39.09%

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Morning all

I think I'm going to paint my grilles and fog surrounds in black, but can't decide what type of finish to go for.

Therefore, I would be most grateful if you would vote in my poll as to what finish you think would look best on a Silver

Any other comments such as makes of good products or any pictures gratefully received

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
QUOTE(DurhamLad1973 @ 26 Feb 2010, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im going to get mine gloss black, it really is the only option.

I see what you are saying as the gloss does look really smart, but all of the other black on the car (door pillars, wing mirror holdings) is a matt finish - and there is my dilema! Although the poll seems to agree with you that it is the only option

Thanks for the piccie Chris

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Chris @ 26 Feb 2010, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Door mirror surrounds and pillars could also be "wrapped" in gloss in vinyl to match

Ooooh, now that sounds good - I like your thinking Chris

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would leave them imo...don't have to worry about stone chips, and still looks pukka

But if we were all the same it would be a boring world!

·
Registered
46 Posts
QUOTE(NickC @ 26 Feb 2010, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would leave them imo...don't have to worry about stone chips, and still looks pukka

But if we were all the same it would be a boring world!

I know its orange but I've had all the front grilles done in gloss to match wheel colour and it looks much better than matt imo. I saw some in matt at GAT rally and didnt like them as much as mine but might be biased
Stone chips are a bit of pain but they dont really show that much until you clean it

my_st3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(audiman @ 26 Feb 2010, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know its orange but I've had all the front grilles done in gloss to match wheel colour and it looks much better than matt imo. I saw some in matt at GAT rally and didnt like them as much as mine but might be biased
Stone chips are a bit of pain but they dont really show that much until you clean it

View attachment 38015

Can you remember whose were mat at GAT? I took quite a few piccies on the day but at the time I wasn't considering do my grilles so didn't look that closely

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Satin Black Donna

Mine are done in a satin finish and I prefer that as i think the gloss looks a bit much when it's on the flat surface sections of the surrounds. I like the subtle effect of them

How long before you're getting them done? sets come up for sale on here now and then...

·
Registered
46 Posts
QUOTE(Donna @ 26 Feb 2010, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can you remember whose were mat at GAT? I took quite a few piccies on the day but at the time I wasn't considering do my grilles so didn't look that closely

Sorry not really... there were too many cars!! The orange one next door to mine had them in matt and the wheels though... it was the 330bhp with RS rear wing

·
Registered
571 Posts
Gloss black for me. I have a silver ST and my gloss black mirrors look great with the silver.

Im getting front grills, the diffuser and bottom lip done, too.

Gloss black with silver pic. Sorry the day was dull...always looks better in sunlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 26 Feb 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Satin Black Donna

Mine are done in a satin finish and I prefer that as i think the gloss looks a bit much when it's on the flat surface sections of the surrounds. I like the subtle effect of them

How long before you're getting them done? sets come up for sale on here now and then...

Any chance you could put a piccy up mate, I've seen a few gloss but don't recall a satin one. As I'm not certain on this for my own grilles yet??

·
Registered
730 Posts
Gloss all the way pal,

I'm stripping my car as she going back to standerd, I'll do a swop and cash my way if your intrested drop me a pm,

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
QUOTE(Donna @ 26 Feb 2010, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I see what you are saying as the gloss does look really smart, but all of the other black on the car (door pillars, wing mirror holdings) is a matt finish - and there is my dilema! Although the poll seems to agree with you that it is the only option

Thanks for the piccie ChrisIndeed, if you like some consistency then its better to have everything one way or another. Not mixing gloss with satin or matte.

QUOTE(Chris @ 26 Feb 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Door mirror surrounds and pillars could also be "wrapped" in gloss in vinyl to match
I think (and have been told by experts) that this is easier said than done. To do the job properly you'll need to take the pillars off. And that's the problem. And if you do, (and you're sure of what you want to do) then why not paint them. The pillars' clips brake easily (and the pillars themselves sometimes), so its a delicate job. And if done properly, then they must be glued back strongly (which means that if you ever want to take them off again, forget it, they will certainly brake up).

Its all down to what you prefer.

For something subtle but cooler : matte
For something more flashy and cool (but that will not match the other black parts of the car) : gloss
For something in between : satin black

I hope i've helped

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Gloss black for sure !!!!!

Did mine again ( been many colours
) for Ford Fair last year - sharper looking i think, but different people like different things so go with your instincts as they can always be done again -

1 - 20 of 24 Posts