Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huge noob question here..

Just got my first ST, which is also the first perfomance car ive owned (driven others but theyve been company cars) so the first that i can modify if i want to.

Im interested in getting a Dreamscience Strategem handset to use the perfomance plus map and have the ability to reset to stock, say for driving up to the in laws in scotland (then remapping once there to chuck her round the winding roads).

Is this something i need to declare to my insurance company, if so is it something that has a major impact on price?

I currently pay £500 to admiral for an all singing and dancing policy, £100-£150 on top i wouldnt mind but i wouldnt want it doubling.

Cheers all, sorry if this is a stupid question and/or answered elsewhere, i did do a search but couldnt find it mentioned elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
It MUST be declared! It will increase the premium IF they cover modified cars. You may find you cant do the remap until you can swap company at renewal time. I also had an issue with one company not insuring the remap if you haven't had it for over 12 months, crazy but true!

·
Captain Slow
16,287 Posts
Defiantly tell your insurance company of ANY modifications you do to the car matey
. You may find that Admiral do not insure modified vehicles though, I'd double check with them first before parting with any cash.

Also if you do go down the re-map rout I wouldn't worry too much about flashing it back to stock, mine's had various DS maps on for the last 30 months

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
First of all. Get the remap done. You won't regret it as it completely transforms the car. And by the way, you won't return to stock after you remap. But if you do it only takes 4 minutes.
You will find that second hand DS units appear in our classified section very regularly. As long as they have a least 1 life remaining it'll be OK. But the more lives the better for resale purposes.

Yes, you have to declare to insurer as your policy will be invalid if you don't. Give Admiral a phone and ask them how much extra for adding ECU remap. You talking approx 260 BHP with remap compared to 225 without.

It might be worth giving our club sponsors a phone. SKY, ChrisKnott and/or Greenlight. All are very mod friendly and give paid-up owner members a healthy discount.

Regards

Allan

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
It might be worth giving our club sponsors a phone. SKY, ChrisKnott and/or Greenlight. All are very mod friendly and give paid-up owner members a healthy discount.

Regards

Allan
For me, none of the club sponsors could get within 15% of the price I received from Adrian Flux. Don't just ring these, get prices from everywhere you can think of, it may be a pain but my last renewal was £1100 and I got it down to £480 and I got PNCB, legal cover, Mrs Dave added, EU cover and lower excesses!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers chaps. Ill give admiral a ring on Friday when my gf isnt around to scowl at me

If its a no go i guess ill see out a years insurance with them and just save up over the year and go nuts then!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh sweet, ta mate, didnt think of trying that

Excellent stuff, looks like that new £1300 PC i was gonna get is on hold then

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bleh, called Admiral last night and they are not willing to cover it. They said they 'might' if it was being done by Ford themselves (!).

Ah well.. guess ill get a year under my belt in the ST with them and switch to a mod friendly one at renewel.

Ill just have to get that PC i want and tweak that instead

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Its strange that Admiral wont cover the remap as they are owned by Elephant who i was with last and they insured everything apart from my intercooler, that included a full exhaust system, eibachs, remap (mod c), ds cais, dv26 dump valve, but not the intercooler.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i did mention that i was aware of others that had mods covered on the same car, he just said he couldnt comment on individual cases but he did say they were tightening up on covering all mods as its not something they are comfortable insuring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts