Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - only had the ST a couple of days and although impressed with the standard performance, I am a bit disappointed by the lack of boost in standard form.

As I have now spent up buying the car, its gonna be a few months before it gets booked in for a remap - in the meantime I was wondering if it is advisable to fit a manual boost controller on the Focus?

I have previously had one fitted to an Impreza, and the results were staggering for such an inexpensive piece of kit. You just need to be careful not to run too much boost!

Is this something that is a big 'no-no' on the Focus, or can they be safely fitted? If they can, what is the advisable pressure to safely run with a standard map?

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
138 Posts
Tbh for what i imagine that would cost you, you'd be able to pickup a second hand Dreamscience unit which will provide you with a few different maps to suit your driving style/mood.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
After being enlightened by the recent Dream Science Performance Ford article about remapping I think if you do manage to increase boost levels on the standard map you will find the performance does not increase much as the ECU will still be working to it's original torque targets and will reign in performance by keeping other factors such as ignition and fuelling under control.

·
Dreamscience Flash
2,446 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 17 Nov 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After being enlightened by the recent Dream Science Performance Ford article about remapping I think if you do manage to increase boost levels on the standard map you will find the performance does not increase much as the ECU will still be working to it's original torque targets and will reign in performance by keeping other factors such as ignition and fuelling under control.

You need to raise the limits, in a Euro 4 car you cannot exceed them

Also the ST225 runs 14.6 to 1 or lambda 1 at wide open throttle which is very lean due to Euro 4 emmission regs, you don't want to be upping the boost without adding more fuel or you will damage some internals potentially.

All the best

[email protected]

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Dreamscience Flash @ 17 Nov 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to raise the limits, in a Euro 4 car you cannot exceed them

Also the ST225 runs 14.6 to 1 or lambda 1 at wide open throttle which is very lean due to Euro 4 emmission regs, you don't want to be upping the boost without adding more fuel or you will damage some internals potentially.

All the best

[email protected]

Cheers Jared,

Remap it is then!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts