Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks due to this weather i thuink its killed my st, the car conked out on the way home this morning while going throu a deepish puddle( came jst under the front bumper, it wont start, any recommendations?

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
Could be a number of things Shaun, I take it you still have power in the car?

The starter motor sits quite low down, you could have shorted that out or you could have sucked up water! Have you checked the fuses under the bonnet?

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
oh dear, If its sucked water up trying to start it up could of messed things up further.

Have you got the DS CAIS fitted by any chance?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah have got a home made version of it. just took it out and water on the maf sensor.the car did have power but started acting all dodgy,

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
Remove the top cover and you'll see the five coil packs. Unbolt these and then remove the plug. Do one at a time!

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
personally i think these low induction kits are a very bad idea
I've got an open induction kit, I drive it at a fairly fast speed last night through standing water, spray was well above the side of the car guess what...................

Nothing happened. Car carried straight on at same speed no issues.

It's a bad idea to drive a car through deep water no matter what induction kit you have unless you have a 4x4 which sits high.
To the OP. hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I've got an open induction kit, I drive it at a fairly fast speed last night through standing water, spray was well above the side of the car guess what...................

It's a bad idea to drive a car through deep water no matter what induction kit you have unless you have a 4x4 which sits high.
ok

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Speed is the only key to it, if you slow down once you are in the water too then you stand an even bigger chance of sucking water up through these DS type affairs.

I have no problems driving through deep water with the AS CAIS as its drawing its air from the grille and slam panel, just as well because round my way the roads can flood quite badly and you don't really know when it's going to happen with weather like we have been having

But the key if you are going to go for it, is to maintain a decent level of speed and preferably follow someone else through where possible as they clear a lot of the water out of the way (just don't hope they bottle it and slow down
).

Best of luck to the OP though, i know my anus would be nipping at the seat

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I have no problems driving through deep water with the AS CAIS as its drawing its air from the grille and slam panel,
Dont be so sure! A standard car hydrolocked its engine once! Dont forget if you hit a puddle the bow wave will rise up the front of the car and can easily enter the standard intake! Our AS RS kit also draws air from the same place and after driving up to JAM-Sport on a very wet day we found nearly an inch of water inside it! That was without going through and deep standing water!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
There is deep and then there is deep!!! If its higher than the hub of my wheel then that is too deep as it will be coming in through the doors

·
Registered
495 Posts
there was alot of water coming out of the intercooler. removed the spark plugs and tried turning engine over, refitted spark plugs, tried turning engine over, its trying to start up but think will need to let car dry over night or so. got insured on my mums car for a week (good thing its a focus but only the 1.6)
(think i have annoyed gary with the phone calls,wont answer now)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts