Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the most recent mod I've done is courtesy of @Mart1976 is a new crossover pipe that gets rid of the MAF block and is meant to make the car run smoother and help those that are mapped. I had a dreamscience induction kit with an open cone down behind the fog light, which i had removed to aid cool air and heat soak. Whilst it did do this, it also had a few flat spots/hesitation on WOT and even light acceleration like pulling out of my drive or junctions.. weird. I always put it down to boost solenoid, recirc or a boost leak somewhere and it was quite disconcerning as I had checked all of these and they all appeared and functioned to be fine. I'd said to Marty that I wanted his crossover, trusted him as he is a friend and lives nearby so he said he would lend me a trial pipe up until my actual one comes just so I know I'm happy and can adjust for anything in the future.

Whilst the fitment takes a little adjusting with those like myself with the RS airbox, the quality of the kit is second to none. Down to the welds, paint quality and even the small bits like the maf extension clips are really well made and just.. well clip. Not like some others I've tried where they don't actually clip in or pop after a while.

Immediately after fitting I went for a spin (mainly down to me adjusted the silicone turbo to crossover pipe, wanted to make sure the jubilee is on properly and doesn't just pop off on boost) and the hesitation was gone. No flat spot on light acceleration either and the car felt more like it should have (and what I remembered when I first got it mapped). I let it warm up and then took it to my nearest A road and floored it on the slip road and 2nd to 3rd the car just picks up and goes. Sooo much smoother and no lag, it just flies. The more and more I drove it the better it got. It helps having it mapped by MSD as they're self learning maps and I know the ecu adjusts for mods to some extent anyway but after a week the cars even better. Back to how it used to be!

All I can say is thankyou @Mart1976 for your quality part and thankyou for lending it to me. There's pictures below for those that want to have a look at the crossover, just excuse the lack of an engine cover as I'm in need of a new set as the blue has bubbled and flaking off.. looking horrendous!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Ive got the wisbech which has the maf at the back to hide the extension and ive ditched the airbox and gone for the bdp ramair filter,seems to run much better imo!!
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Bumper

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
1,183 Posts
It would seem that running the maf away from sharp bends or curves smooths out the airflow which isn't a problem until you move away from the standard airbox. Clearly the chaps at ford knew what they was doing when they designed the RS.
Disclaimer if you have an aftermarket airfilter and standard st crossover and it works well, then that's super, it didn't for me though 🤔😁

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
There's nothing standard about the crossover,its the same angle as the bd crossover,just my pic doesnt show that so well,google wisbech v3 crossover for a better view than mine

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
1,183 Posts
There's nothing standard about the crossover,its the same angle as the bd crossover,just my pic doesnt show that so well,google wisbech v3 crossover for a better view than mine
I'm fully aware that your crossover is not like the standard ST one, my comment is aimed at the standard ones with the maf situated near the airfilter causing hiccups and flats pots.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I'm fully aware that your crossover is not like the standard ST one, my comment is aimed at the standard ones with the maf situated near the airfilter causing hiccups and flats pots.
Im with u now,it really has made a difference,it wasnt untill martin brought it to my attention of the crossover i wud still be running a standard one!!👍😃

1 - 12 of 12 Posts