Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Mac OS X 10.7.5 Clone Help

499 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kayzw 
#1 ·
I know this may be a long shot asking for help here but here it goes.

I have a Mac Book aluminium late 2008. I have started to run out of space on my hard drive so i thought i would by a bigger one.
My original hard drive is 160gb and my new hard drive is 750gb.

I cloned my old hard drive to my new hard drive last night using an integral cloner. Put my new hard drive into my mac, all went well and powered up ok. Checked the disc space and as i thought it said only 160gb. So i rebooted into recovery mode and opened disk utility. I went to partition and resized the disc to 749gb.

Once resized i went to click apply but it was still greyed out so i couldn't apply the new partition size. I hoping someone on here can give me a hand, if not looks like a trip to the apple store!

Thanks

Kieran.

#3 ·
That is an option. I only have the mac at home. I could get my work windows 7 laptop. Im going to boot into recovery, plug the new HD via USB then install OSX on it. Im not sure if time machine backs up my programs like Microsoft office etc? If not it may be a long eve reinstalling all my other software. Thats why i was hoping the cloning would work.

#4 ·
this may be because the partition is in use. I've done many hard disk upgrades on Macbooks, but I cant remember the exact procedure, which means it was probably easy to forget! There are two options to work around the host OS effectivly locking the partition table, and these both involve booting via alternative media. Hold down the option key when powering up to see the alternative boot device menu.

1) boot the machine with the OS X installer CD and run disk utility and do your resize
2) boot the machine with the OLD hard disk in a USB / firewire caddy, open disk utility and do your resize.

Hope that helps a bit, let us know if you have tried that already though.

krisL

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi krisL,
I had already tried the second option and didn't work. I have reformatted the new hard drive and downloaded lion again last night. Finished installing it this morning. I'm now waiting for time machine recovery to complete and will see where I am. It says about 4hrs. Do you know if time machine restore will restore my applications, layout and previously installed software like Microsoft office?

Update: All ok, back up and running once time machine restore finished. All applications and software restored ok.

Thanks for your replies and help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.