Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm looking at getting the RS clutch kit with LUK flywheel from A&K asap. 2 questions...
1) Is the LUK flywheel a poor option to the genuine RS/ST?
2) Has anyone gone for this option?

I'm thinking that my genuine ST flywheel should not be super worn (69k on the clock) and I might get it lightened a balanced...if it's rated the same (or is the same..) as the RS flywheel. Then I'll have a new LUK flywheel for sale. :)

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Lots of people used LUK with no problems, should be no different from what you get from Ford / Volvo. I used a genuine Ford DMF when I did mine but only because I got it very cheap from a scrapped Focus RS with very low mileage on it, where I was doing all the work myself it was worth the risk. Maybe not so much if you are paying a lot in labour.

The Focus ST DMF has a different spring rate vs the RS. Some people have fitted the RS clutch to their existing ST DMF with no issues. Whilst not impossible, it's not practical to lighten / balance a dual mass flywheel so I wouldn't bother looking into that. If you want to track it just look at a solid flywheel conversion but neither that nor a fiddled DMF will be any good on the road.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
(y)The Luk Flywheel looks pretty much excatly the same as the Ford one. The Ford parts are made by Luk but if you compare the clutch plate and pressure plate they look quite different. There are companies selling what they describe as a Luk RS clutch kit that comes with a different branded slave cylinder, this is not an RS kit as Luk only sell the RS kit with an FTE branded slave as a kit. We have now stopped doing the Luk clutch kit itself and will only be supplying the genuine Ford clutch kit either with a Luk flywheel or a genuine Ford flywheel. The ST and RS flywheels are different by the way but only in as far as the strength of the springs as teflonbilly has pointed out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've read recently that lightening the flywheel can make it rattle on tickover...not something I could put up with. :unsure:

I believe it's a £200+ difference between the LUK flywheel and genuine RS (when comparing the kits). If guys are using the LUK flywheel with their RS clutch upgrades with no problems then I think that's the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I've read recently that lightening the flywheel can make it rattle on tickover...not something I could put up with. :unsure:

I believe it's a £200+ difference between the LUK flywheel and genuine RS (when comparing the kits). If guys are using the LUK flywheel with their RS clutch upgrades with no problems then I think that's the way to go.
I'm reasonably certain there is no physical difference between LUK and Ford/Volvo DMF except the main dealer tax. Andy is a parts supplier and says that the RS clutch from Ford is physically different from the LUK part, although the genuine Ford/Volvo parts are made by LUK still. It's possible that the RS clutch kit you would get from Ford could be supplied by LUK marked up for something like the Volvo V70R, it's been debated on here and other sites a lot with no real answer. As Andy said, the slave also differs and you really do want the FTE part for peace of mind so do what I did and make sure you get the genuine Ford clutch kit.

There is nothing practical to be achieved by lightening a DMF - it is just an expensive, unreliable and quite ineffective way of achieving the same thing as a solid flywheel conversion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts