Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with only a K&N induction kit and DSCI race+ I experience severe wheelspin in 1st 2nd and even 3rd when wet or just a bit damp, in the dry it spins and the tyres jump and bump in 1st and second very bad
, I try and control my throttle as best as possible and dont believe in traction control (it just slows it to much) but obviously feel that an lsd is the best step forward to eliminate this. I would like to know what makes are recomended, Quaife seems to be the one that pops up in all web serches but I was just wondering if there are any other out there that I should be considering??

Thanks people

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(bigdcroad @ 28 Jan 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>with only a K&N induction kit and DSCI race+ I experience severe wheelspin in 1st 2nd and even 3rd when wet or just a bit damp, in the dry it spins and the tyres jump and bump in 1st and second very bad
, I try and control my throttle as best as possible and dont believe in traction control (it just slows it to much) but obviously feel that an lsd is the best step forward to eliminate this. I would like to know what makes are recomended, Quaife seems to be the one that pops up in all web serches but I was just wondering if there are any other out there that I should be considering??

Thanks people

Quaife is the most commonly used and having had one fitted in November i can thoughroughly recommend it! There is another one thats a different design but i can remember what its called offhand! Give Don Kalmar Union a PM though as im sure he has them in stock! Apparently they are well known in the Volvo tuning world!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(bristewart @ 29 Jan 2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So going back to the Quaife LSD... does this really eliminate wheel spin and loss of traction on a heavily modded car?
i.e. with ESP on if you plant your right foot does the ESP still kick in?
And with ESP off, is there any wheel spin?

No it doesnt eliminate it completely! Mine will still spin the wheels in first in the dry but as soon as its in second no wheelspin! Traction coming out of bends is 100% better! Mine would spin the wheels in 4th in the dry before fitting the Quaife! The only downside is that when it does break traction rather than the inside wheel just spinning the whole front of the car washes out but you really need to be trying hard to make it do that! I have found that the ESP actually works better with the Quaife too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 28 Jan 2010, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quaife is the most commonly used and having had one fitted in November i can thoughroughly recommend it! There is another one thats a different design but i can remember what its called offhand! Give Don Kalmar Union a PM though as im sure he has them in stock! Apparently they are well known in the Volvo tuning world!

Where did you have yours fitted? I cant seem to find anyone willing??

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(bigdcroad @ 29 Jan 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Where did you have yours fitted? I cant seem to find anyone willing??

Profile Automotive (Wolf) also fitted mine! Its a bit of a journey but Gary and the gang do a great job! Give him a ring on 0161 406 9797 for a price!

·
Registered
150 Posts
guys i run a gearbox company in northampton! we dont supply the diffs but can certainly fit them for anybody on here, would sort you out a real good price as well, quaife diff is a tortion diff, they tend to get tighter the more they spin, plate lsd diffs are set on the bench using different thickness shims to set the rquired breaking point usualy the one we do for a 205 rally car he has 2 diffs one for gravel one for tarmac. we have fitted a few diffs for cosworth development cars as well with the MTX75 gearbox and a few nobles as well that run the same box. anybody wants some tech on gearboxes just pm me.
steve

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(pepsisteve @ 31 Jan 2010, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>guys i run a gearbox company in northampton! we dont supply the diffs but can certainly fit them for anybody on here, would sort you out a real good price as well, quaife diff is a tortion diff, they tend to get tighter the more they spin, plate lsd diffs are set on the bench using different thickness shims to set the rquired breaking point usualy the one we do for a 205 rally car he has 2 diffs one for gravel one for tarmac. we have fitted a few diffs for cosworth development cars as well with the MTX75 gearbox and a few nobles as well that run the same box. anybody wants some tech on gearboxes just pm me.
steve

Good work Steve! Dunno if youre up for it but im sure the forum would welcome a resident transmission expert! Drop HJCRichard a PM and im sure they could set you up with your own bit like TonyST has for spare parts enquiries?

On a seperate note have you done much work with the MT66 gearbox? I think you meant the Nobles run this box so have you done any with uprated bearings etc?

·
Registered
150 Posts
the only thing that bothers me with the 6 speed volvo gearbox is that there are no parts available from volvo, havent had a ST box in at work yet so not sure if you can get them from ford, has anybody had any gearbox work done before on here? syncros, bearings etc

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
To date and to my knowledge Volvo have never made available parts for their later gearboxes to the extent that some of the bearings are even captive Volvo parts.

However, it is my understanding that most all current manufacturers will only supply new for old replacement boxes, although there is a good spread of pattern parts about for the more popular manufacturers' transmissions.

These gearboxes are however currently made at a Getrag plant in Germany as Ford sold off a share of Volvo's own transmission plant in Skovde to a consortium involving themselves, Dana and Getrag and to my knowledge only Getrag's high end stuff is now built in Sweden having been transferred from German plants.

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
150 Posts
QUOTE(menzies26 @ 1 Feb 2010, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have tried to get parts for the Gearbox from Ford and they don't do anything for them, they will only supply a brand new box.

its
isnt it, we cant get any bits for 2 of the 3 bmw mini gearboxes, later volvo's, 6 speed vauxhaul astra's. it's a
getrag thing. dont have any probs with peugeot, citroen, fiat, kia, hyundai, just the germans! i was talking to a mechanic the other day and he said that you cant buy any internal engine parts for late fords as well. engine only.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.