Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all has anybody had a lpg conversion done on their st or does anyone know if it can be done
with mods ie bluefin sports cat exhaust intercooler induction kit will it be worth doing do about 12-13k
a year car is a 05 with 33k on clock any advice would be welcome ....

Cheers Paul

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,603 Posts
There's been a fair amount of discussion on this.
Try entering "LPG Conversion" into the search box and you'll find a number of related threads including the one with the pics of the broken engine mentioned above.

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE(clarkyp @ 6 Jan 2010, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all has anybody had a lpg conversion done on their st or does anyone know if it can be done
with mods ie bluefin sports cat exhaust intercooler induction kit will it be worth doing do about 12-13k
a year car is a 05 with 33k on clock any advice would be welcome ....

Cheers Paul hi i have a focus st 2 and have had it converted and dne about 13000 miles with no trouble the car runs fine and theres no noticable loss in power that i can tell anyhow it cost me £1500 to get the work done i have had / got 1 problem with the car i that the mil light came in last week i have just obtained an odb reader and its telling me i have low fuel rail pressure on the petrol side suspect pressure switch

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I read a thread on lancerregister about lpg conversions. They are really good nowadays and at that point the only obstacle was getting it to work on variable valve timing engines - his evo wasn't, it was just brought up in general discussion.
You do the same mileage as me and I fill up about once a week. So if you half that you are saving 25 quid a week so it will take a year or so to pay for itself

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(bigogger48 @ 7 Jan 2010, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi i have a focus st 2 and have had it converted and dne about 13000 miles with no trouble the car runs fine and theres no noticable loss in power that i can tell anyhow it cost me £1500 to get the work done i have had / got 1 problem with the car i that the mil light came in last week i have just obtained an odb reader and its telling me i have low fuel rail pressure on the petrol side suspect pressure switch

Can i ask who did the conversion & do you know what system was used i intend to keep my st for at least 3-4 year before i change & in that time i may have to move jobs so would deffo pay for itself & can i ask what sort of warranty came with it

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Think about resale too, you're drastically narrowing down the potential market so that needs to be factored into the price. I personally think it's a waste of money unless you're doing moon mileage and which case why by turbo charged petrol car in the first place?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a LPG ST 2 and it worked great but I am not driving the car right now and I have only had my car for 1500 miles.

It's an Landirenzo sistem with Flashlube and when I used it across germany it worked flawless. Spending 30 euros on a full tank for a 225 hp car was very funny.

·
Registered
319 Posts
[quote name='davo1983' date='7 Jan 2010, 08:16 PM' post='637903']
Why buy a 2.5Ltr turbocharged petrol engine then want an LPG conversion?

Coz it sounds good, goes great but has sh#t fuel consumption, think thats a good reason.

As for the landy v8, well its sounds great, goes badly on road and goes off road when it breaks down (a lot) and thats before the head blows or the block cracks and before the lpg is fitted. But when everything is going all right 25-30mpg (with fuel cost equiv saving) from a 2.5 ton 4x4 aint that bad, so a 1.4 ton hot hatch getting 40+mpg equiv sounds quite appealing if thats what you want.

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE(clarkyp @ 7 Jan 2010, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can i ask who did the conversion & do you know what system was used i intend to keep my st for at least 3-4 year before i change & in that time i may have to move jobs so would deffo pay for itself & can i ask what sort of warranty came with it Cheers Paulautogas 2000 near thirsk done mine theres no need for a flash lube as the valve seats are hardned and the pressure from the turbo will blow the oil back into the bottleQUOTE(christiano @ 7 Jan 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>x2
50 p per ltr

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Who would want to buy a 2.5 turbo and then convert it to LPG?

I'd imagine someone who wants a quick car but wants cheap pump prices

Seems quite simple to me. Nothing to do with Carbon Footprint etc. If you do the mileage then it's worth looking into

I was also reading on the Evo website that a decent mapper can map the car so that its runs almost identical power to petrol. Seriously what's not to like?

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE(Mark83 @ 7 Jan 2010, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Think about resale too, you're drastically narrowing down the potential market so that needs to be factored into the price. I personally think it's a waste of money unless you're doing moon mileage and which case why by turbo charged petrol car in the first place?

i would remove the lpg kit and fit it to my next car

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(christiano @ 7 Jan 2010, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Agreed Simo,

If you want a quick car with cheap pump prices personaly i would be looking at VAG or Bimmer diesel's. Just my opinion tho

Where you getting your 60p diesel from?
It's about the same price as 95 RON petrol round here

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(christiano @ 7 Jan 2010, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You will be getting 50+ mpg with a diesel compared to the 25 min from the
. That is twice the mpg and round here even Shell Vpower aint £1.20 per litre.

You still get the same mpg from LPG as petrol roundabouts. So you get 250 miles out of a tank and it costs you half the price - so obviously 2 LPG tanks will cost the same as one tank of petrol

500 miles from 50 quid in an ST puts things into perspective

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.