Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Has anybody else noticed in these colder morning tempertures , that their cold engine idle oil pressure is slightly lower (3 bar) for the first 1-2 minutes after start up. After that it creeps back up to the normal cold engine idle pressure 4.5 bar . All is normal after that whilst driving. Im hoping its down to the fact its below freezing out side (cold/ice on sensor)or maybe the oil is being bypassed in the oil pump or housing . Cheers Steve

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nope if anythings its slighty higher than in summer as in it stays higher for longer because it takes longer to warm up and run thinner.

Mines always 5bar when cold...seems a bit low to be 3 when cold!

There is no sensor as such for all the pods its all worked out on calculated values from a series of sensors AFAIK.

·
Premium Member
Trevor B
1,192 Posts
QUOTE(SteveST3 @ 24 Dec 2009, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, Has anybody else noticed in these colder morning tempertures , that their cold engine idle oil pressure is slightly lower (3 bar) for the first 1-2 minutes after start up. After that it creeps back up to the normal cold engine idle pressure 4.5 bar . All is normal after that whilst driving. Im hoping its down to the fact its below freezing out side (cold/ice on sensor)or maybe the oil is being bypassed in the oil pump or housing . Cheers SteveYes, noticed exactly same thing on mine the other morning. Car is only 2 months old and 1400 miles on clock, but it is my third one. Car had not been used for 4 days and not garaged. Used daily since and not done it since. The gauges are "not true" anyway in the sense of the o/p gauge being "connected" direct to engine oil gallery. The readings are "calibrated" via ecu and sensors etc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I thought the oil pressure was an ecu calculation , so I've just checked that the sensor plugs are dry and plugged in.
Strangly i found out this morning a work mates St does a similar thing....(only when the weather is freezing outside and only for a minute or so when first started) both are 08s. I'll try it again in the morning as the weather should be above freezing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE(SteveST3 @ 24 Dec 2009, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, Has anybody else noticed in these colder morning tempertures , that their cold engine idle oil pressure is slightly lower (3 bar) for the first 1-2 minutes after start up. After that it creeps back up to the normal cold engine idle pressure 4.5 bar . All is normal after that whilst driving. Im hoping its down to the fact its below freezing out side (cold/ice on sensor)or maybe the oil is being bypassed in the oil pump or housing . Cheers Steve
Mines doing exactly the same on a 58 plate first thing in the morning when it's freezing. If it's been sat all day and I start it from cold in the evening, it goes straight to 4.5 bar mark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts