Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am looking at this car soon and was wondering if anyone knows the car!

Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire Car Vehicle

It has a slight performance issue and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what the cause might be??

Under heavy acceleration the vehicle is not performing in a linear fashion, ie the power seems to surge and drop off intermittently. This can cause it to bog down and not want to rev or try to overboost but there doesn’t appear to be a logical pattern to the way it’s behaving.

Any thoughts before I view would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ken.

·
Registered
CP320
1,892 Posts
There are several common faults that affect the turbo boost on these cars which are generally all fixable at varying cost.

Is there any particular reason why you still want the car despite the issue, and has the seller offered an appropriate discount?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
[QUOTE="teflonbilly, post: 7288455, member: 273930"
Is there any particular reason why you still want the car despite the issue, and has the seller offered an appropriate discount?
[/QUOTE]

Hi, Thanks for the response! Yes, several reasons: The car is the spec and colour I want, the mileage is under 100k with almost full ford history, low ownership, and it is fairly local to me.
I won't be buying the car as a daily driver so I can investigate the fault at my leisure.

The car is too expensive at the moment (imo) I have a figure in mind I would be happy to pay but obviously I need to view it first and negotiate with the owner who comes across as a decent honest seller!!!

·
Registered
CP320
1,892 Posts
Ok going off subject slightly, but buying an electric orange car is a big risk if you want the paintwork to stay nice because all cars are prone to lacquer peel and it's very expensive to get that colour restored properly, there aren't many paintshops that will take the job on and even fewer who are competent to do it. A proper job could cost you in excess of £10k.

Not using the car daily is a big positive, and I'd say almost an essential for anyone who is serious about running one of these cars and enjoying it at the same time.

Back to the original problem you described - if it is the turbo boost being cut/lost then worst case scenario in terms of cost is a cracked manifold (meaning a replacement turbo) and best case is something as simple as a leak due to an insecure jubilee clip. Whatever it is you will find good advice and support on this site.

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
3,065 Posts
Adding to @teflonbilly s thing about the paint I had an eo which had imperfections on almost every panel except the roof so got quoted (a couple of years ago mind) £8277 for a full respray with refurbished wheels and new badges , I sold the car and was honest with the buyer about the imperfections, @Mick.M bought his brand new and his has now started to peel and he is meticulous with his cleaning and maintenance so be aware if it hasn’t got it now it will have soon 😩😩

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the useful replies guys(y)

The car had a full repaint about 18 months ago due to the common laquer peel so I'll be inspecting it very carefully, I spent many years in the motor trade so I'm fairly good at spotting dodgy paintwork and don't mind a mechanical challenge, so this will be a weekend project for me if I manage to negotiate a fair price(y)

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
3,065 Posts
Thanks for the useful replies guys(y)

The car had a full repaint about 18 months ago due to the common laquer peel so I'll be inspecting it very carefully, I spent many years in the motor trade so I'm fairly good at spotting dodgy paintwork and don't mind a mechanical challenge, so this will be a weekend project for me if I manage to negotiate a fair price(y)
Wasn’t done by tj in Telford was it ? my mate got his done there and refused the finish 3 times and is now paying to have it done again 🙈

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure where it was done, I'll ask the owner when I view, as you said previously "pictures lie" and looking at this next pic the car has obviously had paint!!

Vehicle registration plate Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

It looks fairly well done, but won't know until I see it in the flesh!!

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
3,065 Posts
Not sure where it was done, I'll ask the owner when I view, as you said previously "pictures lie" and looking at this next pic the car has obviously had paint!!

View attachment 909361

It looks fairly well done, but won't know until I see it in the flesh!!
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle
Looks similar to my mates like it has lost its unique shine to me 😩 may look ok in the flesh though 👌always worth a look you don’t have to buy it 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 909362 Looks similar to my mates like it has lost its unique shine to me 😩 may look ok in the flesh though 👌always worth a look you don’t have to buy it 👍

Yeah that looks a little flat and "dull" :( Hopefully it's brighter than that!! Will post my thoughts up on here after viewing, hopefully on Saturday (y)

·
Registered
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
2,826 Posts
Looks nice, best colour for the mk2 imho, if the paint was perfect, you’d be frightened to drive it😆, performance issue sounds like a boost leak, first port of call is all the boost hoses and clips, also the sound symposer, if still fitted could be leaking too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks nice, best colour for the mk2 imho, if the paint was perfect, you’d be frightened to drive it😆, performance issue sounds like a boost leak, first port of call is all the boost hoses and clips, also the sound symposer, if still fitted could be leaking too.
Yeah, Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines, he did mention a Slight whistle sound on and off when running!

·
Registered
Mike Mk2 ST225
3,237 Posts
A friend bought an st cheap with boosting issues, turned out to be the breather pipe going up the front of the engine had popped off.. Refitted and secured with the clip that was still there and not suffered the same issue since.

Could be that, or a sensor. Or the turbo... But if the price is right and everything else seems good, it's all fixable if that's what you want.

At this age all of these cars are becoming a pain 😂 buy they still have something about them. Especially when you see an orange one.

·
Registered
2007 mk2 pfl in electric orange
5,159 Posts
Adding to @teflonbilly s thing about the paint I had an eo which had imperfections on almost every panel except the roof so got quoted (a couple of years ago mind) £8277 for a full respray with refurbished wheels and new badges , I sold the car and was honest with the buyer about the imperfections, @Mick.M bought his brand new and his has now started to peel and he is meticulous with his cleaning and maintenance so be aware if it hasn’t got it now it will have soon 😩😩
Had a quote for mine between £8-10k

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so I have now been to view the car and although the car is lovely, I have decided to leave it and look for a different colour.
As I said before the car has been repainted about 18 months ago by a professional body shop and its been done nicely and it is quite bright but there doesn't appear to be enough pearlescent in the paint so it's not quite right!
There is also the boost problem which has been investigated by 2 garages without resolution.
Other minor niggles include a temperamental bonnet release, corroded exhaust, and a driveshaft knock.
So the hunt continues....:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts