Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the perf+ map with ds stratagem unit, wow the car has come alive! Cant belive i took so long to do it.

After a 20-30min drive i was playing with all the different menus on the device and i noticed that it was reading my oil temp at 150 degres! Surly this isnt correct, my gauges on the car were reading just under half way.

Which will be more accurate?

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,189 Posts
Just installed the perf+ map with ds stratagem unit, wow the car has come alive! Cant belive i took so long to do it.

After a 20-30min drive i was playing with all the different menus on the device and i noticed that it was reading my oil temp at 150 degres! Surly this isnt correct, my gauges on the car were reading just under half way.

I think the Stratagem unit plugs in to the OBD port and therefore should be the most accurate of the two.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea what to do.
Does anyone else have the same unit? And does theirs work?

·
Registered
10,290 Posts

Is it degrees farenheit.....?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why are you worried about the oil being 150o? I would have thought that was ideal tbh, as long as it's not over about 200 I would suggest it's normal.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
As fair as I remember the ST doesn't have an oil temperature reading device. It uses the combination of other things like, air, water etc and uses algorithm's to give you an estimate. I might be talking utter
though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a good point. But when i was flicking through the menus it actually said "oil temperature too high" Thats what made me notice it as i wasnt paying to much attention, just having a quick look at everything.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
As fair as I remember the ST doesn't have an oil temperature reading device. It uses the combination of other things like, air, water etc and uses algorithm's to give you an estimate. I might be talking utter
though.
Correct. But I'm sure it's going to be 150 degrees farenheit, which is 66 degrees celsius which is about right maybe?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Mine usually sits below half way, I would say around 1/3 when it's warmed up. Wouldn't worry to be honest

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
though.
thought the gauges on top of the dash gives you correct oil temp???

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
The gauges on the dash are as accurate as Michael fish is with the weather, it's just a guesstimate which the ecu calculates from several different sensors.

The only way to get an idea of the temp of the oil ect is to get an obd scanner thingy such as a scan gauge or something like dash commander on your phone but even then I wouldn't be sure they are 100% correct

·
Registered
1 Posts

Got my Stratagem Ultra this week running the DSCI map at the moment, what a difference.

Noticed the oil temp warning before I even started the car. Having read up elsewhere, that reading / sensor (?) is designed to work with an external oil cooler kit, if you have got one fitted, otherwise it can be muted.

There is mention (in a round about way) in the description of the Dreamscience External Oil Cooler Kit, last but one paragraph.

http://www.dreamscience-automotive.co.uk/ford-focus-rs-mk2/performance-upgrades/850-oil-cooler-kit.php

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my Stratagem Ultra this week running the DSCI map at the moment, what a difference.

Noticed the oil temp warning before I even started the car. Having read up elsewhere, that reading / sensor (?) is designed to work with an external oil cooler kit, if you have got one fitted, otherwise it can be muted.

There is mention (in a round about way) in the description of the Dreamscience External Oil Cooler Kit, last but one paragraph.

http://www.dreamscience-automotive.co.uk/ford-focus-rs-mk2/performance-upgrades/850-oil-cooler-kit.php
Oh that all makes sense now! Thanks mate

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If you look at the temps on your menu on the dash computer it will read about 140 degrees , not sure where it gets the temps from, any engine which runs over 101 degrees will go onto limp mode so it will be ok, on the DS ultra the engine temp is about right with the temp on the dash about 86 degrees.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts

http://www.dreamscie...-cooler-kit.php
I think you need an external sensor connected to the unit before it can read the oil temp?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts