Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Before and after recently I had two new tyres replaced on back, the rear tyre on driver's side I am told the TMPS sensor is leaking air and noticed is dropping 10-12psi in space of two weeks meaning I have to keep topping it up. It's due to go back to Ford on 24th for a few days to diagnose ongoing Tyres Pressure sensors not detected fault. I assume the tyre fitter when they did the soapy water test meant the the TMPS stem/valve not the sensor that's leaking air? As I was told they told they couldn't replace it only with standard rubber ones meaning taking sensor out. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the TMPS valve/stem be replaced every tyre change and that tyre fitter would do this?

It says on my invoice X 2 (cap and core if TMPS), if that is case surely when went back to tyre fitter to report or the air escaping causing the check tyre pressures warning to come on after topping them to 42 and 38PSI as recommended that it wouldn't cause the NSR to drop down from 38 to 26 in space of two weeks. But they did the test and pointed it at the TMPS sensor.

Does anyone know if these stems replacement valves are compatible with MK3 ST 2017? According to eBay they check compatibility says they are?

4 Replacement OE TPMS Tyre Pressure Sensor Valve Stems Ford B-Max | eBay

Thanks

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
What i do know is they need mapping in by Ford ! Expensive job

I deleted the sensors on forscan

·
Premium Member
2015 (65) ST-2 TDCi 185ps Estate in Deep Impact Blue
53 Posts
Shortly after getting my ST 2015 in March last year I found most of the metal valve stems to be leaking air (Seems to be a known common problem with most Fords around this age).
I had all 4 metal valves replaced with rubber valves at my local Kwik Fit, they were able to reuse all 4 of the original TPMS sensors from the metal valves to the rubber valves, and no remapping / relearning of the TPMS sensors. Just reset the TPMS system to clear the warning on the dash.
All perfect since, no TPMS warnings and tyres retaining pressures fine.

·
Premium Member
2015 (65) ST-2 TDCi 185ps Estate in Deep Impact Blue
53 Posts
Look like they will be. There's a Compatibility Chart on that advert, which shows the 2017 Petrol & Diesel ST model.
The ones I had fitted on mine were supplied and fitted by Kwik Fit, they showed me one very briefly, but from memory they look the same, the silver screw bit on the end is what secures the TPMS sensor. Looking back at my Kwik Fit invoice, looks like I paid £4.75 + VAT per valve, so those ones on eBay are good value. If you get them then hopefully you can find a good fitter that's happy to use parts that they're not supplying, I know some garages can be a bit funny about fitting items they don't supply.
All the best with getting it sorted, let us know how you get on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts