Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Formerly known as wabbit1
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

The ST exhaust has 2 lambda sensors, can they be used in either location on the exhaust ie can the one on the DP be taken out and put behind the cat?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
A good question, but normally the sensors have different part numbers and are priced differently too.

I would suspect that they are different sensors given that they work on voltages and that the difference in the lengths of the cables (and the connections are different) would affect the resistance.

But it would be interesting to know all the same

·
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good question, but normally the sensors have different part numbers and are priced differently too.

I would suspect that they are different sensors given that they work on voltages and that the difference in the lengths of the cables (and the connections are different) would affect the resistance.

But it would be interesting to know all the same
That's a good way of explaining it

Does anyone know if they have the same FINIS codes?

·
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's not tried yet mate. I was trying to take them out my standard system. One on the DP came out easily. The one in the CAT is not wanting to move

I just wanted an extra to take down if the one in the Magnex gets damaged taking it out. Did your tech guy have any issues with yours?

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
He's not tried yet mate. I was trying to take them out my standard system. One on the DP came out easily. The one in the CAT is not wanting to move

I just wanted an extra to take down if the one in the Magnex gets damaged taking it out. Did your tech guy have any issues with yours?
not at all mate, we sprayed it with a little bit of Wurth rust off and cracked it off with one of those odd shaped lambda sockets.

·
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do believe the FINIS for No.1 sensor is 1367823 and No. 2 is 1580153.
Thanks Ryan.

I had a look at the plugs on the two sensors on my standard exhaust and they are different. Oh well, here's hoping no2 sensor comes out the Magnex cat so I can fit the spacer.

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
Good luck Nathan mate

Reminds me of when my car snapped all three down pipe bolts ...........cars! It's a love / hate relationship at times

·
Registered
127 Posts
hey guys, just on topic I need a new bank one sensor, but the supplier has asked if i want the 4 or 5 wired sensor.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
only difference is one has a longer wire then the other, both have four wires and have the same probe
From what i know the hego sensors work by making a comparison of the oxygen in the exhaust gases and the air outside the engine and then generating a voltage that is sent to the PCM which is then interpreted by the PCM as either too lean or too rich and it then adjusts the fueling accordingly.

Now given that generally the voltage is less than 1 volt (i think they may actually be something like 1.1volt) then the longer the wires the more resistance so to me that would mean that there is a chance of the hego sensor reporting a voltage at the correct rate but it not being received at the same rate at the PCM, i would imagine that the wires (if the theory of resistance is correct
) would have to be a set length for such small voltages specifically if we are talking less than a volt and the variations for too righ and too lean are less than .45 of a volt.

It may well be that there is something a bit more complicated going on though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts