Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Focus ST2 2007
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Following a service, a knocking noise has developed from what i believe is the front N/S wheels. I've checked the drop links (solid) track rod ends (brand new) wheel bearings (zero play) and the new under trays (can't see anything rubbing).
Car also been lift back to original stance as springs from previous owner was too low.8
Had a new driveshaft installed as the gator was split but knocking is still present. Oil and transmission oil was changed too.
The knock speeds up as you get faster and no play on the steering wheel. Has no effect on the cars performance other than annoying me.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,248 Posts
So just to clarify - do you get the knock over bumps/lumps or does it happen irrespective of the road surface - only really changing as you go faster/slower?

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
843 Posts
stick your head by the gap by the top of your engine & the fire wall, have someone turn your steering wheel side to side, i had the same thing and once i did this i found my steering rack was the problem to my knocks.

I replaced both shafts,wheel bearing,drop links and top strut bushes with OEM parts and still got the knock and found when i knocked the arm/bar it knocked.

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,726 Posts
Anonymous knocking noise that annoyed me after some work being done was the cross over pipe not fully pushed down onto the turbo (silicone pipes) and it was knocking on the top of the bulkhead area.

My knocking wasn't the same as your description, was more noticeable at slow speeds though.

Probably worth a check 😂

·
Registered
Ford Focus ST2 2007
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers, hasn't lost power but I'll bare it in mind.
Got a feeling it's from the back somewhere, a friend told me to check the rear springs as the housing/plates crack/wear and I have changed them not so long ago

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cheers, hasn't lost power but I'll bare it in mind.
Got a feeling it's from the back somewhere, a friend told me to check the rear springs as the housing/plates crack/wear and I have changed them not so long ago
Did you manage to eventually solve this? I'm having a similar issue just now after having my n/s driveshaft, tie rod, wishbone and drop link replaced. driving me nuts! Exact same symptoms though so hopefully you could point me in the right direction haha

·
Registered
Ford Focus ST2 2007
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you manage to eventually solve this? I'm having a similar issue just now after having my n/s driveshaft, tie rod, wishbone and drop link replaced. driving me nuts! Exact same symptoms though so hopefully you could point me in the right direction haha
I thought i had responded to this! Unfortunately not, still knocking on the flat and speeds up as the car does, n/s driveshaft was replaced but the knock was there prior and is still present. Due MOT next month so will need to spend some money on it either way. Let me know how you get on

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought i had responded to this! Unfortunately not, still knocking on the flat and speeds up as the car does, n/s driveshaft was replaced but the knock was there prior and is still present. Due MOT next month so will need to spend some money on it either way. Let me know how you get on
**** 😂 im due mine in April too and can't seem to find what the knock is either! Will let you know if I figure it out, good luck with the mot and thanks for the reply 👍

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry guys forgot to update!

The noise was a wheel bearing! N/S Front.
Changed on Sunday and the noise stopped! But i can still hear it in my head.......

Cheers
Glad you got it sorted! I ended up changing both driveshafts which helped but funnily enough it still knocks on corners and I've got an advisory for a front wheel bearing... Will get changed this week so will hopefully sort mine too 🤞

1 - 16 of 16 Posts