Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i though i would post a quick picture of my latest newly acquired mod. As most of you may know i normally like to take modding that bit further and a new clutch is impending on the JAF. Well the clutch is on order more details of that when it arrives but heres one part which is the new Kalmar Union Flywheel. Made from a solid billet of steel and weighing in at just 6.75kg, it looks great and now cant wait to get it fitted.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
keep us posted ads , re gearbox noises on tick over.

looks nice and snug in its little box,shame to fit it really

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 5 Feb 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will do, going into unknown territory here with the ST but should be no noisier than the helix kits.

It will drive like a dog lol

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
So what difference are you expecting it to make Ads? Id associate lightened flywheels with high reving low torque engines rather than low reving motors with masses of torque?

·
Registered
327 Posts
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 5 Feb 2010, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well i though i would post a quick picture of my latest newly acquired mod. As most of you may know i normally like to take modding that bit further and a new clutch is impending on the JAF. Well the clutch is on order more details of that when it arrives but heres one part which is the new Kalmar Union Flywheel. Made from a solid billet of steel and weighing in at just 6.75kg, it looks great and now cant wait to get it fitted.

No wonder carbon splitter is taking time to put into production, your to busy putting new toys on your lovely
looking
(lol) if i do so say so my self. Any update on the splitter by the way, everyones waiting for this

·
Registered
150 Posts
so what clutch are you going to fit with the solid flywheel, as the damping is usualy done by the dual mass and the centre plate is a solid type (no springs) if you put a un sprung clutch centre on that it will make for a interesting drive! they do this conversion on the transits where you remove the dual mass and fit a solid flywheel and sprung centre plate, but ive heard they drive awfull. how much does a standard flywheel weigth? the flywheel on my bike (rgv 250) weighed 1.2kg and i lightened it to 700g and it revs like a
, but the crank, pistons and rods where all balanced at the same time, this needs to be done in my opinion to get the most benefit. good luck with the mod though, i love it when people go outside the box and try something different, my bike is a bit special, daylight mot 120kg wet with 60bhp of snorting 2 stroke power, look out for it on country roads! if you see it behind you pull over because its coming past

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(pepsisteve @ 5 Feb 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so what clutch are you going to fit with the solid flywheel, as the damping is usualy done by the dual mass and the centre plate is a solid type (no springs) if you put a un sprung clutch centre on that it will make for a interesting drive! they do this conversion on the transits where you remove the dual mass and fit a solid flywheel and sprung centre plate, but ive heard they drive awfull. how much does a standard flywheel weigth? the flywheel on my bike (rgv 250) weighed 1.2kg and i lightened it to 700g and it revs like a
, but the crank, pistons and rods where all balanced at the same time, this needs to be done in my opinion to get the most benefit. good luck with the mod though, i love it when people go outside the box and try something different, my bike is a bit special, daylight mot 120kg wet with 60bhp of snorting 2 stroke power, look out for it on country roads! if you see it behind you pull over because its coming past

Lightened flywheels belong on high reving bikes and CTRs! I would be interested to see if it makes any difference though! The point about the solid drive is a good one Steve! Adam was one of the most vocal about clunky gearchanges and drivetrain snatch (and got the Vibratechnics mount made) so it will be good to hear his opinions lol!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(pepsisteve @ 5 Feb 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the flywheel on my bike (rgv 250) weighed 1.2kg and i lightened it to 700g and it revs like a
Had the same done on my race bike many years back, maybe even more taken off it because all the magnets were taken out and the width machined right down to the ignition pick-up trigger. It revved like a TZ!

I got used to keeping a little family of batteries charged

Steve you used to drag race yes? my brother does lot of engine work in that field....Fast By Wayne?

not let him loose on the ST yet but he did my 600RR and boy did it go!

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I cant begin to imagine how it will drive to be honest. The lift off should be very interesting. Scary really.

·
Registered
150 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 5 Feb 2010, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Had the same done on my race bike many years back, maybe even more taken off it because all the magnets were taken out and the width machined right down to the ignition pick-up trigger. It revved like a TZ!

I got used to keeping a little family of batteries charged

Steve you used to drag race yes? my brother does lot of engine work in that field....Fast By Wayne?

not let him loose on the ST yet but he did my 600RR and boy did it go!

mine has had 3 of the magnets removed so it will still charge a battery and has been machined back to the ignition trigger, sorry have not heard of your brother, ask him if he knows mark fisher, thats who used to do mine.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
Have been down the lightened billet flywheel and uprated clutch route before wth the 170 and it wasn't great with forced induction, but then that car easily revved to 8000. I think a 14 or 15 lb flywheel may be to light with the rotating mass of the crank and internals. With the 170 we eventually went with a slightly heavier flywheel (not as heavy as the dual mass) and solved problems we were encountering with that particular installation.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have the Helix kit fitted to my car and can't say that it makes the car undrivable as most seem to suggest on here. Yes the clutch is a lot heavier than normal but to be honest after a while you don't even notice it. The flywheel fitted to my car is a bit heavier than the one offered by Don by almost 1 kg.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts