Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought myself some K-Sport calipers from JW Racing and this is a short note to thank Lee for his usual first class service. I am extremely happy with the brakes so here are some pictures:

Packaging was spot on....mind you, the brakes travelled 7,500 miles to Singapore!!

Sneak Peek + Cosworth Pads

Standard Calipers....6.80kg with brakepads. Standard disc weighs in at 8.65Kg.

Fitted Perfect.. ! 4.0kg with brakepads...forgot to weigh the K-Sport Disc but they felt slightly heavier, maybe 9-9.5Kg ?

Woohoooo....Finally!!

Hmmm....got to paint the rear to complete the look, me thinks.

Quick Comparison !

I have put 500 miles on them carefully bedding them in....they were squealing like a pig when I first used them but they are getting better. Spoke to Jonny who gave me some top tips about "scorching the pads"....did a few cycles of that, took the pads off to clean them up & some copper slip and they are almost completely silent now except for when I apply steering lock and touch the brakes...cringe. I think the Cosworth pads are too tall, need to source for some "lower profile pads" ??

You see what I mean

Otherwise big thanks to Lee for being a top bloke and last but not least, Jonny who has always been giving me good advice and helping me out with stuff !

Cheers

·
Registered
920 Posts
Bought myself some K-Sport calipers from JW Racing and this is a short note to thank Lee for his usual first class service. I am extremely happy with the brakes so here are some pictures:

Packaging was spot on....mind you, the brakes travelled 7,500 miles to Singapore!!

Sneak Peek + Cosworth Pads

Standard Calipers....6.80kg with brakepads. Standard disc weighs in at 8.65Kg.

Fitted Perfect.. ! 4.0kg with brakepads...forgot to weigh the K-Sport Disc but they felt slightly heavier, maybe 9-9.5Kg ?

Woohoooo....Finally!!

Hmmm....got to paint the rear to complete the look, me thinks.

Quick Comparison !

I have put 500 miles on them carefully bedding them in....they were squealing like a pig when I first used them but they are getting better. Spoke to Jonny who gave me some top tips about "scorching the pads"....did a few cycles of that, took the pads off to clean them up & some copper slip and they are almost completely silent now except for when I apply steering lock and touch the brakes...cringe. I think the Cosworth pads are too tall, need to source for some "lower profile pads" ??

You see what I mean

Otherwise big thanks to Lee for being a top bloke and last but not least, Jonny who has always been giving me good advice and helping me out with stuff !

Cheers
Are you running any spacers with those wheels?

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
Brakes look awesome and a great addition to your car, as said once you paint the back calipers it will look even better

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Hey Feroz. When you say the pads are too tall, were they just tight when you slid them in? Pads vary a little from different manufacturers but you can just file a little off the edges. The Pagids need a little filing off the tabs at the back so they slot in further. The EBCs fit without any fettling. There's 2 patterns of DS2500 available and one is quite a bit cheaper than the other but both fit perfectly.
Cheers,
Jonny.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Those wheels look the shiz.

I've always worried that aftermarket alloys on a 5 door will look stupid, but you've proved me wrong.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey Feroz. When you say the pads are too tall, were they just tight when you slid them in? Pads vary a little from different manufacturers but you can just file a little off the edges. The Pagids need a little filing off the tabs at the back so they slot in further. The EBCs fit without any fettling. There's 2 patterns of DS2500 available and one is quite a bit cheaper than the other but both fit perfectly.
Cheers,
Jonny.
Hi Jonny

Sorry for dropping off the radar, been flat out at work.
The Cosworth StreeMaster pads are a tight fit so it was a bit fiddly to get out...needed a bit of wriggling and some patience.
I will file them down the next time I inspect the pads. Regarding pads being to tall, have a look at this picture.

See how the friction material on the Cosworth pad extends all the way to the top-edge whereas on the blue pads, it stops about 3mm before the edge. The strange thing is the brakes only squeal(excruciating) at slow speed(25-30km/h) and only if the car is turning Eg going down a multi-story carpark or turning into a driveway etc. Otherwise they are quiet. By the way, I have not tried the blue pads("lower profile") yet so I do not for sure whether they are any better.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Hi Jonny

Sorry for dropping off the radar, been flat out at work.
The Cosworth StreeMaster pads are a tight fit so it was a bit fiddly to get out...needed a bit of wriggling and some patience.
I will file them down the next time I inspect the pads. Regarding pads being to tall, have a look at this picture.

See how the friction material on the Cosworth pad extends all the way to the top-edge whereas on the blue pads, it stops about 3mm before the edge. The strange thing is the brakes only squeal(excruciating) at slow speed(25-30km/h) and only if the car is turning Eg going down a multi-story carpark or turning into a driveway etc. Otherwise they are quiet. By the way, I have not tried the blue pads("lower profile") yet so I do not for sure whether they are any better.

Cheers
Pad patterns vary make to make but in your photo, the blue one looks more normal to me. Why have cosworth/ferodo made the material short at each end? Anyway, this shape wont affect the noise but the pad being tight in the caliper will. File the edges so the pad is free from jamming.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Loving the k-sports mate. You running B12's aswell? Stance looks quality.
That's just how I want my 5 door PB to eventually look, maybe with red calipers tho. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is on my list of upgrades in the not so distant future :-D Looks fantastic, only hoping that the standard OE wheels can handle the size of these suckers.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
This is on my list of upgrades in the not so distant future :-D Looks fantastic, only hoping that the standard OE wheels can handle the size of these suckers.
If you have a prefacelift (which im guessing you dont lol!) you need at least a 20mm spacer on each front to clear them! Somebody else said that the facelift wheels fit without spacers though? We have not tried this however so cant really comment!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have a prefacelift (which im guessing you dont lol!) you need at least a 20mm spacer on each front to clear them! Somebody else said that the facelift wheels fit without spacers though? We have not tried this however so cant really comment!
You've given me some hope yet ;-) And yes I have the facelift model so here's hoping I don't have to change my wheels just yet... Otherwise some BBS one's are on the way - so not so doom and gloom!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts