Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help?
Recently I fitted a K&N Gen II kit to mt ST (no other mods yet) And it all seems ok, Other than the fact that driving to work today and scroling through my trip computer it read a rather alarming 13.2 MPG........Previously it would hover around 22 Mpg as most of my driving is around town.
Could this be a computer fault?? I will have to wait untill my next fill up to get an accurate idea of what she is actually doing.
Any help or advice would be great.

·
Registered
658 Posts
i have the K&N fitted to mine and it made no difference to my fuel consumption.
Try pulling your Kam fuse for 15 mins to reset all your settings.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Or you've had the battery disconnected while you did the job? fuel computer does go a bit wonky for a while if the battery has been off.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I'd leave it and see if it settles down initially.

If it continues, I have heard before that a Maff sensor that is playing up can cause silly fuel consumption so you may need to look and see if it has become soiled after fiiting the K&N.

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE(hjcrichard @ 4 Jan 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd leave it and see if it settles down initially.

If it continues, I have heard before that a Maff sensor that is playing up can cause silly fuel consumption so you may need to look and see if it has become soiled after fiiting the K&N.
Would that cause the car to over fuel as i jumped into the car, today after letting her sit idle for a couple of days due to the weather, just to tick her over for a few minutes and the car gave of a strong smell of fuel i presumed from the CAT converter. Do these cars suffer like that?

stuart

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Was it a secondhand kit? If so have you washed and re-oiled the filter? Ive used the K&N for 43000 miles with no problems or excessive fuel consumption (except on track where it hits 7.5mpg lol)! If as has been suggested you disconected the battery and reset the consumption then used it on short journeys in sub zero temps i would expect the fuel consumption to be bad!
QUOTE(SL270 @ 4 Jan 2010, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Would that cause the car to over fuel as i jumped into the car, today after letting her sit idle for a couple of days due to the weather, just to tick her over for a few minutes and the car gave of a strong smell of fuel i presumed from the CAT converter. Do these cars suffer like that? stuart
When my MAF sensor failed the only thing it did was turn the ESP off permanantly and light up all the warning lights! The car ran perfectly other than that!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Depending how long you've had the car sat warming up that'll have an mpg effect too. Maybe not enough to cause the mpg to plummet but has been know when cars been in for services etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can see its not a fault with the computer as it has done nearly 1/4 of a tank to 24 miles......... The funny thing is that it runs fine, so proper confused now. will take it appart at the weekend and see what I see..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts