Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just found one of the small bolts and washers which attach through the L Bracket are both missing. Heard a loud metallic ping come from the engine/front, couple of months ago and couldnt find out what had caused it, guessing it was the bolt/washer falling out! Trip to [email protected] tomorrow to fix it as cant see it on the floor tray.The arrows show what should be aligned with the bolt and washer.
May be worth everyone checking theirs

mike

Attachments

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
Blimey...

The K&N airbox has moved a lot?

If the hole in the airbox and the bracket on the engine are so mis-aligned, perhaps that is what caused the previous bolt to "ping out"?

I would take a look at the other mounting brackets and slacken them off a little to get everything sitting square. I (well, Gary at Profile) put a spacer on one of my mounting brackets to get everything sitting a little neater, and thus with less stress all round.

Best of luck getting it fixed. Hope the bolt didn't strip the thread in the K&N box on the way out.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Probably just needs another bolt in there Dave and tightening up nice and firm. If the bolt from the side of the box goes walkies then the K&N is only supported by the MAF/flexi-pipe to the cold air pipe, and the other K&N bracket which is attached to the body bracket with a flexible rubber bush to allow for engine movement. I tried mounting my modded K&N set-up just with that bush and it dropped down way too much
It'll have just sagged with the weight.

Nice M6x10 or M6x15 bolt should do the trick plus a flat washer and spring washer if you so feel the need. Got thousands of them lying around here

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
I had the exact same happen to me

What i found was the best fix was i cut down the OE bolt down to about 6 or 7 mm in length then used loctite when refitting, touch wood ive had no issues since but i do check it quite often

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I never had that happen to me when i had the K&N fitted.Maybe taking back to where it was fitted to ask them if there is a problem with the alignment. That way it should not happen again if there is.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The [email protected] was fitted by one of the forums sponsors
whom over the last year have had a wad of cash off me! I will email them to inform them of the problem and see how common it is although recently my enquiries are not being responded too
and my business is now going elsewhere
As for fixing it i was going to try a longer bolt and loosen the other bracket a bit, so it sits more evenly between the two and is not being "pulled" in any 1 direction.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Just take care the bolt isn't too long and it pushes through the plastic housing of the filter box. Don't see it being a design issue, simply not been tightened properly imho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.