Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Got my Black Focus ST-2 two weeks ago and so far loving every second of it, and stumbled across this forum and joined immediately:)

BUT I have just noticed what appears to be a pretty major problem concerning a leak along the passenger side of the car.

Having only had the car for a couple of weeks I haven't had too many passengers to taxi around and so it wasn't until my girlfriend lifted her handbag from the passenger side footwell today on the way over to town did she notice that the footwell was soaking. On checking the rear passenger side footwell it was even worse, an actual pool of water was visible. Both the driver's side footwells are both dry so the problem only appears to be on the passenger side of the car.

On arriving home I checked the boot and so I found that there was a little water resting on top of the metal and some water had soaked into the passenger side's carpeted surround.

Anyone had any issues or heard of anything like this before, would be great to hear from you guys

Many Thanks

Martin

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Martin. Sorry to hear of your woes, unfortunately I can't help much having never owned a Mk2. I can only guess it's a dodgy seal somewhere. I have also seen this issue caused by missing rubber plugs in the floor of the car, leaving a hole which allowed water in - that was in both front footwells of a Mk2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Sean,

Cheers mate, i'll have a look under the car tomorrow to see if I can spot anything untoward.

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
Hi Martin and
along to the club mate

As a start are any parts of the door panels wet at all fella? Are the drain holes on the bottom of the doors clear and free from debris? They could be clogged up and the water isn't draining out.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If its anything like the Mondeo problem it may well be worth checking the pollen filter behind the glove box.

If the seal is perished or the filter isn't seated and sealed correctly then water can get in and soak the passenger side of the car

But given that there is water evident in the boot area on that side of the car it will be well worth checking the boot seals too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, overwhelmed with the responses here, thought you's was all be out on the
, but i suppose we're all responsible ST owners here!

I've just been on the phone to one of my mates and he's guessing that with the amount of Rain and high winds recenetly (alot of debris flying around) we've had on the Island it could very well be blocked drain holes.

Cheer's Mick, i'll keep the Pollen Filter in mind as well.

Happy New Year to you all when it comes!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah sorry, forgot to mention that it's got a sunroof and there is no moisture at all on or under the door panel, seals all look in good nick, Water just seems to be pooling in the very bottom of the footwells.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
In the boot there is a plastic vent that sits behind the bumper. On this there are rubber flaps that sometimes stick up. When I changed my rear bumper I discovered my boot carpet was wet through and that one of the flaps was jammed open. Since straightening these flaps there has been no further re-occurance. You will need to remove your bumper to get to them tho. See pic.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Car

Attachments

·
Formerly Known As Shep4785
1,421 Posts
Wow, overwhelmed with the responses here, thought you's was all be out on the
, but i suppose we're all responsible ST owners here!

I've just been on the phone to one of my mates and he's guessing that with the amount of Rain and high winds recenetly (alot of debris flying around) we've had on the Island it could very well be blocked drain holes.

Cheer's Mick, i'll keep the Pollen Filter in mind as well.

Happy New Year to you all when it comes!!
Don't rule out the roof rails, I had a small leak on the passenger roof rail that was getting into the boot.

·
Registered
520 Posts
sunroof drain holes are blocked i bet, put a length of wire down it to clear it , or remove the a pillar cover you will see where it enters the car pull apart the pipe and blow like a good un lol it will unblock it

the drain ports exit the car at the footwells so maybe the cause

·
Registered
535 Posts
I changed my rear lights over and when I put the new ones on next day boot was flooded and car was steamed up.
turned out to be the plastic plugs that the mounting screws go into, had hardened and where no longer sealing properly ,this will leave 2 holes straight into the boot soaking the side carpet on the way down

If it is nice simple ,cheap fix

Just a thought as you said water in the boot

·
Registered
335 Posts
My last car was a 10 year old mg zr which i understand is a lot older
but my boot used to fill with water it starts to absolutely stink the car out after a bit.

I changed the seals on my rear lights and the problem stopped i understand that the ST is probably newer but could be worth a try.

As to the passenger footwell I cant really help sorry mate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts