Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my ST today which has a dreamscience chip (not sure which one). In sixth gear if you floor it and spool the turbo right up the car seems to judder 2-3 times. Is this normal? It was raining heavily so not sure if it was a traction problem?

Cheers in advance.

Adam

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,446 Posts
when you say judder do you mean like a thump as the revs build up mate?
if so then you have a missfire!
probably a dodgy spark plug.
i had this in mine a while ago. just got some new plugs. problem dissapeared.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i had the same when my old clutch was slipping badd, the clutch would slip, revs would go up and if i kept my foot down then the car would judder horribly, thought the car was gonna fall apart lol

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,446 Posts
QUOTE(STadam @ 24 Feb 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes that sounds a bit like it. Did you change the plugs yourself?

yes mate. did them myself. takes about 30mins if you have the proper tools. you need to remove the top intake pipe, then the plastic covers off the engine. each plug has a coil on top, secured with a small bolt. once you take the coil off you need a proper spark plug socket to get the plug out, as they are recessed quite deep down. i got rs plugs from pumabuild. £48 delivered.

when putting the new plugs in tighten them hand tight + quarter of a turn with the socket.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
our lassee other day I thought it may be the traction control almost kicking in, remeber the roads are slippy at the moment with all the salt.

I reset the ECU (fuse 26) and turned off the traction then went for a spirited run and all fine

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
fuse 26 under the bonnet. just take it out for 30mins. won't do your remap any harm. just clears faults. it also memorises your driving style so when you reset, it will clear any memory & start to memorise your throttle inputs etc.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I re-set the ECU and the missfire is still there. The car has just done 35k so would this be about right if the spark plugs were on the way out?

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
QUOTE(STadam @ 28 Feb 2010, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well I re-set the ECU and the missfire is still there. The car has just done 35k so would this be about right if the spark plugs were on the way out?

yep. exactly the same mileage as mine. when they went.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all. Fitted my new RS spark plugs today and WOW can't believe how it's instantly cured the misfire I had. Thanks for your advice guys, I'm one happy bunny this evening! The ST was running really poorly before hand so I'm well chuffed. It now feels more responsive and I'm not scared to put my foot down now in all gears!! Thanks again; another reason why it's a tenner well spent joining this forum!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.