Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my car off at the dealers today to get my new windscreen fitted. I needed a courtesy car so last night I dug out my licence and insurance certificate ready for my day in a 1.25 fiesta. I got to the dealers at half 8 and the service fella said he would have to ring my insurance to check that it was ok for me to be insured on their courtesy car. Had to wait till 9am as that's when my insurance brokers opens. Anyway my insurance company wanted to charge me £25 for 1 days insurance on the fiesta! I presume this is just an admin fee but has anyone else had to pay their insurance company for a dealer courtesy car?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 13 Jan 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my insurance company have just given me a free cover note and faxed it to my dealers, it must be an admin fee.

Your insurance company must be better than mine Phil

I think your right with the admin fee but Im not happy about it really.

·
Registered
249 Posts
think its another way insurance companies have found to fleece us abit more lol! This has been around for a while tho, my fiesta
was getting the alternator changed a few years ago and i needed a car from them, they phoned my insurance then, think i was with Admiral at the time, they wanted to charge me too.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 13 Jan 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All you can due is querry the charge and maybe they will waive it for you? All the ford dealers i have used all need you to supply a cover note.
Cheers Phil I will do, it's not really that I'm that bothered by paying £25 I just think that it's a bit steep for a 2 minute phone call and a little bit of paper work to get insurance on a 1.25 fiesta for a day.

That's the least of my problems now as I have just received a phone call from Polar Ford saying that they will not be fixing my heated screen as it's not the screen that's the problem (which is what they supposedly diagnose in December) it some wires to the screen thats the problem and due to my mods they will not fix it under warranty!! Even though my mods are mountune, full exhausts, chequers, wheels ect. which have absolutely nothing to do with the wires to the screen! They seem to be putting the problems down to my mods!! Bit of a joke really!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I had to take out extra insurance when I had a courtesy car last year - I believe it was required so the car still had fully comp cover while I had it for a few weeks. Cost me maybe £20 per week while I had cover through Adrian Flux but I changed brokers partway through the use of the courtesy car and it was foc once I'd changed to Privilege.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(thestumper @ 13 Jan 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Even though my mods are mountune, full exhausts, chequers, wheels ect. which have absolutely nothing to do with the wires to the screen! They seem to be putting the problems down to my mods!! Bit of a joke really!
Why am I not surprised? I'm from Warrington and they're the last dealer i'd ever consider using.

Try Evans Halshaw in Northwich.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 13 Jan 2010, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why am I not surprised? I'm from Warrington and they're the last dealer i'd ever consider using.

Try Evans Halshaw in Northwich.

I have heard bad things about them but its just easy for me to get too and they didnt say anything about the mods back in December when it was in then. I have spoke to Simon at Evans Halshaw in Blackpool who did the Mountune for me and he said he wouldnt refuse it, but would have to have a look first. Its just the hassle of getting to Blackpool and back to work on a weekday.

QUOTE(choccymonster @ 13 Jan 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you ever find yourself in this position again, try these guys --> http://www.tempcover.com/

They do short term instant insurance. i.e. for borrowing someone else's car etc etc.

I just got a quote for a new shape (Mk 7) Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec fully comprehensive for £15 for one day all in.

Cheers Choccy.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,392 Posts
Some companies automatically include cover for loan cars.
Norwich Union is one example that comes to mind (or at least they did the last time I used them).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Evans Halshaw in Ashton-Under-Lyne used to make me swap my insurance over. Useless

Sidney Jackson near Macclesfield covered me on their insurance when I dropped my car off the night before for it's service. They were also very cheap and I'd strongly recommend them

Chris

·
Vendor
720 Posts
The garage should be supplying the insurance for the courtesy car on these type of issues.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Last couple of times I've had a car at the dealers, the guy I usually deal with just chucked me the nearest set of demonstrator keys and said use this until it's done, you'll be covered under our insurance!

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Dealers used to provide insurance cover for courtesy cars, but this is rare nowdays.

Now I assume the following:

1) If the car is in for service work and I require a courtesy car I expect to have to provide insurance myself (eg tempcover.com as previously mentioned)

2) If the car is for any insurance repair I expect the insurance company to provide cover under my current policy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.