Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Premium Member
Alan St500
I don鈥檛 know the answers to your questions bud but I would advise against reboring the already Parmesan based liners just get them replaced if it comes to that 馃憤

Premium Member
Alan St500
I rubbed the rust spots down with some emery paper but they''ve left very faint pits that can just be felt with a finger.
I really can't be * be * removing the block to rework or replace it, so what do you guys think? Salvageable or scrap?
What scrap the whole car ? You鈥檙e most of the way to fixing it lol if the rest of the car is sound then get new liners in there

Premium Member
Alan St500
I've rebuilt a few engines so aware of the cost which is why relining is preferred route as a I can keep pistons and just fit new rings.
Apologies Teflon if I sound frustrated, I'm not, I just don't understand how barring the engine over will get rid of those rust pits. If a gentle rub with some emery paper exposed them, then IMO scraping them with piston ring would also do the same.
Either way it would leave pits and comprise new rings.
I've now removed everything from the block and will try lowering it and sliding it under the wheel arch the next week. There's a machine shop nearby in Daventry that might be able to re-line. If worse comes to worse, there's a good used block on eBay for 拢230
Iirc if you get another block you have to get another part with it as they are machined to only work with that engine, sump 馃head馃 someone will tell you correctly though bud @Alb is the man to ask 馃憤

Premium Member
Alan St500
I know blocks are usually matched with the crank shaft ladder, or in this engine it's part of the lower housing as it's all bored as an assembly. If that's the case, it's fine as eBay block comes with it. But if it needs matching head or something else, then that's not good at all and will seriously screw things up.
Non ST - 2.5T S Max Engine Rebuild it鈥檚 in that thread somewhere bud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts