Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this may be the reason for my occasional ESP system fault?
Bluefin stage 2 and k&n gen2 induction kit

·
Banned
7,732 Posts
Yes it's called an RS maf but isn't as simple as just popping it in. I'm running around the 300bhp mark and mines holding up.

ESP faults can be from a whole multitude of things starting from unequal tyre pressures and tracking being out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
have you done anything about the K&N mod for your gen2?

I know some cars seem to suffer with the gen2s, some dont have any issue at all.

Only reason I ask is the issue seems to surround laminar airflow across the maf element with the gen2. because the maf sticks straight into the side of it, there is nothing to direct the airflow in a nice smooth airflow pattern across the maf, where as if you look at the factory scarebox there is the trumpet on the end of it plus a joiner hose, which helps straighten out and provide smoother airflow across the AFM, which in theory helps it read better.

If you've not constructed something already by way of a K&N mod it maybe worth investigating to see if this helps with your issue?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
With some slight modification, the trumpet from out of the stock airbox can be fitted into the K&N gen 2. The MAF sticks into the box and you can get a short piece of silicone in there with 2 clamps and secure the trumpet to it. A friend here did it and his drives smooth. Heavily modded, still no flat spot. It worked with KO4 and also the DS hybrid.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
ESP system fault can be a million different things, you need to get the fault codes read.

You cant fit the RS MAF without getting a map which is specifically written for it, and I think Collins are currently the only ones who do it. There is no benefit at all of fitting the RS MAF to a normal ST though.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
It's just inside the outlet of the stock air box, just before the MAF. It's there to smooth air flow into the MAF.

The K&N intake has a shockingly bad air flow because of the box the ECU mounts in. This trumpet installed on the inlet end of the MAF makes all the difference.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
ESP system fault can be a million different things, you need to get the fault codes read.

You cant fit the RS MAF without getting a map which is specifically written for it, and I think Collins are currently the only ones who do it. There is no benefit at all of fitting the RS MAF to a normal ST though.
Pumabuild can do this too

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I've seen RS turbo running properly with an ST MAF, why would you try to fit an RS MAF?

It's best to have a MAF that is not too over spec for your engine. It must cope with max throughput on the coldest day at heaviest load and have a little safety margin, but going too big means reducing it's resolution, affecting light loads reading accurately.
IMO, there's no real benefit of an RS MAF in an ST.

·
Gok Wan
2,642 Posts

Collins don't do the Rs maf for the st engine yet they are working on it

It's pumabuild that do the map for the Rs maf for the st engine

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's just inside the outlet of the stock air box, just before the MAF. It's there to smooth air flow into the MAF.

The K&N intake has a shockingly bad air flow because of the box the ECU mounts in. This trumpet installed on the inlet end of the MAF makes all the difference.
so what exactly does it look like?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts