Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having the ST for nearly 10 months, I am slowly starting to dislike quite a few things about it.

The worst bit must be the rattles. How do you guys live with it? My much cheaper Fiesta is so much quieter, and every day I seem to collect a new one. I just dont think that a car that cost about 20k should rattle, unless its been put together very badly.

Things just stop working randomly. Today its the oil temp gauge. Which by the way started to work again after 3 or 4 seperate runs.

The leather seats seem to be peeling off at the drivers seat base.

My seat creaks like someones having sex on it.

The sat nav keeps rebooting randomly, particularly as I drive in the maze of roads in and around london. And the vol control sticks quite regularly.

The worst bit is that Ford seem to be incompetent and cannot sort any of these problems out.

9 months of ownership and I think I have had enough. How do you guys cope?

Anyone want to buy a 09 black ST3 260 with just 9k on it?

Does anyone know of any decent dealerships in the SE London/Kent area that can help sort these problems out.

Dont get me wrong, its still great to drive, but I want a proper car, not a tin can that goes fast. Wish I had bought the GTI instead now.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You must have bought a bad one mate as mine has 35k on it with no rattles, squeeks, seats have a problem with the base breaking but mines been perfect for 4 years, the leather is wearing , buit show mw a leather interior on a similar value car that doesent...

Need to get a better garage to sort your issues mate. Im sure of of the guys in your area will put you in touch with a good garage !!!

Hope you get them sorted so you can enjoy what is a great car !!!

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
sounds like you've got a friday evening build number mate.
my friend has a gti and it rattles to mate.
its all the push/click fittings. soz to hear about your woes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
i have exactly the same feelings over the ST now!! My seat has taken 2 yrs ot sort with repeated visits to ford. Its ruined 2 yrs of ownership really as it just becomes a nuisance!

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE(RIK @ 10 Feb 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You must have bought a bad one mate as mine has 35k on it with no rattles, squeeks, seats have a problem with the base breaking but mines been perfect for 4 years, the leather is wearing , buit show mw a leather interior on a similar value car that doesent...

Need to get a better garage to sort your issues mate. Im sure of of the guys in your area will put you in touch with a good garage !!!

Hope you get them sorted so you can enjoy what is a great car !!!

All cars rattle a bit, electronics fail and leather wears, but what bothers me is that Ford cant seem to sort it out. My BMW had the odd rattle too, the nav unit failed, but you let them know and they sorted it out for you.

Help, I need a decent dealership in my region.

Someone on here once said, "Ill give the 911 that was broken down by the side of the road a miss and have the ST instead". Currently, unless these problems can be sorted out, I'll have the broken down 911 please. You can have my ST instead.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Its a shame for you and I'm personally hurt by your comments! I love my car and I've had no rattles or problems (touch wood) so I would hope you dont think the whole range is like that. As with most things in life its pot luck so if you still like the car as a whole I suggest you trade it in for another one. I'm sure you cant be that unlucky again!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Craig_SG1 @ 10 Feb 2010, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its a shame for you and I'm personally hurt by your comments! I love my car and I've had no rattles or problems (touch wood) so I would hope you dont think the whole range is like that. As with most things in life its pot luck so if you still like the car as a whole I suggest you trade it in for another one. I'm sure you cant be that unlucky again!

Well coming from a BMW to a Ford, I wasnt expecting the greatest build quality, but its a definite definite step down. Im not talking about loud rattles which are there all the time. Its the rattles that pitch up when you are on a slightly uneven surface. The Beemer was dead quiet even in that scenario, but this is irritating me. Maybe I was expecting too much. Maybe I should go drive another demonstrator and see if I have a lemon?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Shame mate. Must have been built on a friday then

Mines got 15k on the clock and is an 07 and it's as tight as a duck's

I really feel for you because it takes the joy out of driving, but dont give up, try another garage.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(indyjukebox @ 10 Feb 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well coming from a BMW to a Ford, I wasnt expecting the greatest build quality, but its a definite definite step down. Im not talking about loud rattles which are there all the time. Its the rattles that pitch up when you are on a slightly uneven surface. The Beemer was dead quiet even in that scenario, but this is irritating me. Maybe I was expecting too much. Maybe I should go drive another demonstrator and see if I have a lemon?

I have a 09 ST from new and it did have some rattles for a while but they have seemed to have settled down a lot now. I had one when i first got it comming from behind the cd player and my local dealer sorted it, although it did feel a bit up hill to get them to do it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
QUOTE(indyjukebox @ 10 Feb 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well coming from a BMW to a Ford, I wasnt expecting the greatest build quality, but its a definite definite step down. Im not talking about loud rattles which are there all the time. Its the rattles that pitch up when you are on a slightly uneven surface. The Beemer was dead quiet even in that scenario, but this is irritating me. Maybe I was expecting too much. Maybe I should go drive another demonstrator and see if I have a lemon?

330d that i test drove had 18k on it and drove like a wheelie bin. So fridays at bmw must be the same.

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts

may be a silly question mate but have you checked your tyre pressures?
if they're to hard it might explain your rattles on slightly uneven surfaces.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(STIOM @ 10 Feb 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>330d that i test drove had 18k on it and drove like a wheelie bin. So fridays at bmw must be the same.

Well I dont know who drove that car before you did, it could have been abused for all you know. Mine hasnt been misused at all. Im sure the rattles can be fixed, if only my dealer would put in an effort. But it does take the fun out of ownership. If I can locate a decent dealer, then I may just keep it. Other wise its going to be bye bye to the ST.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not knowing who you have been using but here`s the ones I know of - Allens of Romford (mixed reviews) Rates of Grays,Dagenham Motors and Essex Ford also known as EAG.

If I were having issues and a dealer could not sort it then I`d be writing letters to Ford Customer relations and the Dealer Principal of the dealer concerned.

Mines 3 years old and it fine although there is one creak from the passenger door card but otherwise it`s a superb car and I love driving her.

·
Registered
372 Posts
QUOTE(kzfocus @ 10 Feb 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm getting worried now. I've not even collected my ST yet!

dont worry mate, my
has been great *touches wood* over nearly 3 years, no rattles etc.
This kind of post is pretty rare on here.

Yours will be great too im sure

oh, and op, dont get rid, youll miss it

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi,
Essex Ford in Laindon/Basildon are really good imo (right next to Ford's Dunton research centre). Ive never had a problem that they can't sort out.

On the other hand Dovercourt, now owned by lookers is
, imo. Everytime Ive been there in my
or previous cars they look at it for a day then say there is no problem and if it occurs again then bring it back. This was especially worrying when I had a 57reg 1.6tdci focus that kept cutting out when you went over 2000ish revs! I think they thought I was making it up, its only when I refused to take the car back until it was fixed that they took out and inspected the whole fuel system. I think they charge Ford directly for warranty costs, so they want you to keep coming back so they can charge Ford for the parts/labour over and over again.

Another example of Dovercourt/Lookers incompetence - My dad had an S-Max about a year ago and the washer fluid pipe unclipped itself so when you tried to squirt water on the screen it just squirted on the floor under the bonnet (note the pump was working). After Dovercourt looked at it they said they had to replace the pump and it was covered by warranty, therefore charging Ford for a replacement part that they didn't change. My dad being a Manager at Ford and a chartered engineer tried to find the source of the problem and asked to see the damaged pump. Yea you guessed it, they misplaced and couldnt find the "old-broken" pump.

Essex ford have loads of courtesy cars and again sorry to keep going on about dovercourt, but twice ive been there and booked a courtesy car and then they turn around and say they have double booked it, so I don't get one.

Rant over

Hope you get your car sorted

·
Registered
252 Posts
I dont see how people can claim the rattles must be a friday car, just look at the number of posts on rattles in the forum and everyone I ever speak to with one says it has some rattles.

The ST although made out of good materials from a quality point of view, was not put together with the same level of quality imo, maybe a car thats done 9k in its life will not have loosened up yet but if its 3 years and 40k old like mine it will rattle and as you start to try and cure them you see why from how the panels fit together.

I am also slightly falling out of love with my ST, its thirst combined with the ever rising petrol price and the fact I do 15k a year is starting to chafe when I could save over £100 a month just in fuel by having a diesel, then my alternator goes and its happened to so many people it shows a clear lack of testing.

Still as clarkson says with a ford you get the ride quality of a VW and the handling and involvement of a lotus for a lot less than either and it is great to drive and I will see most things sub 20k as a step down

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(indyjukebox @ 10 Feb 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After having the ST for nearly 10 months, I am slowly starting to dislike quite a few things about it.

The worst bit must be the rattles. How do you guys live with it? My much cheaper Fiesta is so much quieter, and every day I seem to collect a new one. I just dont think that a car that cost about 20k should rattle, unless its been put together very badly.

Things just stop working randomly. Today its the oil temp gauge. Which by the way started to work again after 3 or 4 seperate runs.

The leather seats seem to be peeling off at the drivers seat base.

My seat creaks like someones having sex on it.

The sat nav keeps rebooting randomly, particularly as I drive in the maze of roads in and around london. And the vol control sticks quite regularly.

The worst bit is that Ford seem to be incompetent and cannot sort any of these problems out.

9 months of ownership and I think I have had enough. How do you guys cope?

Anyone want to buy a 09 black ST3 260 with just 9k on it?

Does anyone know of any decent dealerships in the SE London/Kent area that can help sort these problems out.

Dont get me wrong, its still great to drive, but I want a proper car, not a tin can that goes fast. Wish I had bought the GTI instead now.
well ive had my
since sep 2006 and also had none off these proplems the only problems ive had was back in 06 i snaped the drive shafts fords sorted it on warrranty been fine since also i had a few maf censors go but only since the cr330 up grade
and thats all so either you got a bogie , i would be down fords most days to get it sorted

1 - 20 of 22 Posts