Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, would like to know how i would find out if my st has been remapped and if so which type.
thought id bought a bog std 08 st2 from bristol street ford, opened the bonnet last week to find no airbox.lol and a k&n gen2 induction kit fitted, now this week have noticed that when i floor it, the boost gauge hits 1.2 bar. is this mapped?, sumone told me that as it has a dump valve fitted its overboosting, which could explain a small flat spot im noticing just as the turbo begins to wind up when i floor it...
so if it is remapped, how do i find out which type or model it is????
thanksss for any ideas

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It does sound like it's mapped but I'm not sure how to find out what map it is. The dealer should have told you about all the mods as your insurance company will need to know, otherwise any insurance you have will be void!

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
The car should have been advertised as a modified vehicle.

I assume you will have declared it as standard to your insurance company. Therefore, you will be driving the car with invalid insurance!

When you get the V5C from the DVLA you may be able to contact previous owner if they are in the phone book.

Have you searched the car for a handset?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Allan @ 23 Jan 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The car should have been advertised as a modified vehicle.

I assume you will have declared it as standard to your insurance company. Therefore, you will be driving the car with invalid insurance!

When you get the V5C from the DVLA you may be able to contact previous owner if they are in the phone book.

Have you searched the car for a handset?

hi there, i rang the insurance co. last week and told them about the K&N, as for the remap, ive looked everywhere for a handset, no joy. spoke to ford and they reckon they didnt even know it had a k&n let alone if it has been remapped. guna have to try and contact the previous keeper. have u ever heard of overboosting? and if so could that be down to the dumpvalve and be why im feeling this damn flatspot on turbo windup? many thanks, luke

·
Registered
323 Posts
QUOTE(jebrovia @ 23 Jan 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>spoke to ford and they reckon they didnt even know it had a k&n let alone if it has been remapped.

Did the garage service/ inspect it before you picked it up? how could they not know about the induction kit which is so obvious?

Sounds as though you bought a modded car which the garage didn't mention in case of putting people off

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(boost junkie @ 23 Jan 2010, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>brought it from bristol street ford in stoke?

no, bristol street, bromley.. going down there tmrw with the car. dont get me wrong, i love the car, just feel they havnt told me what legally they should have. but then again, did i ask??

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
eeerrrrr! did you not lift the bonnet before you bought it? no worries mate, you seem to have got a bargain! you could spend a small fortune on these free mods! any good tuner should be able to download your map & tell you if its up to the job. i just bought a gen 2 and you got one for free! well done that man! if your dealer had known he would probably tried to charge you more! the flat spot, are you sure its not just turbo lag,from the remap? seem to have done ok to me mate. enjoy your

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Bobster200 @ 24 Jan 2010, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How about contacting Blufin or Dreamscience or maybe Profile Automotive with the registration to see if its on their books.

good thinking batman... ill ring them mondy with the reg no. thanks

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(stingy @ 24 Jan 2010, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>eeerrrrr! did you not lift the bonnet before you bought it? no worries mate, you seem to have got a bargain! you could spend a small fortune on these free mods! any good tuner should be able to download your map & tell you if its up to the job. i just bought a gen 2 and you got one for free! well done that man! if your dealer had known he would probably tried to charge you more! the flat spot, are you sure its not just turbo lag,from the remap? seem to have done ok to me mate. enjoy your

ummmm well u see, no, after the test drive, i just fell in love, didnt even lift the bonnett. what can i say, im a sucker...
on the bargain note, they wanted 18k for the st2 and offered me 3k trade in. i stuck it to them and got 5k for my trade in and got the st down to 15k. defo a bonus in my eyes. cheers

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Did they tell you that they had inspected and serviced the car before you bought it? If they did then i would kick up a real stink as its not possible to service it without noticing that its got a K&N kit on it!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
if they had given a full service/inspection before handovev surely when they plug it into there ford computer thingy {forget what its called lol} they would have seen that it wasnt standard
and if they knowingly sold it to you like that would it not affect any warranty issues?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 24 Jan 2010, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did they tell you that they had inspected and serviced the car before you bought it? If they did then i would kick up a real stink as its not possible to service it without noticing that its got a K&N kit on it!

yep they told me it had had a full service by them the week before, checkd the service book and they have done so. its very low mileage, 4800 miles and its an 08 reg. when i spoke to them last week about the k&n they claimed not to know but did say it wouldnt affect my waranty. as for the remap or no remap ill be down there tmrw after work to get answers or give them sum hell!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
the point i was trying to make was if you should blow up your engine next week would the garage not turn around and say well its got a remap on so we arent paying for a new engine, but if you love the car as it is {and why wouldnt you} just say you will take the car as it is as long as you have something in writing off them saying it was remapped when you bought it

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am wondering if mine is tuned also..under full throttle it goes quickly to 1.2bar then drops to about .6bar after the initial surge. Did you manage to figure out if yours is mapped or not?

i love the power in the car and am worried that without the (potential) map it would be quite slow

the other side of the coin is im also worried that the clutch could start slipping with the (potential) extra torque

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.