Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I took delivery of a 12 mth old ST yesterday, it came with the manual but no audio manual, I have ordered one from ebay, but in the meantime being a girl and not doing waiting, I wonder if anyone can tell me how to use my ipod? I purchased a lead from Halfords yesterday which plugs into the single round port in the glove box and into my ipod but no sound is playing even tho the stereo is set on the AUX setting. When I plug my iphone in I hear a faint bit of music but over the music is a sound like a loud heartbeat??????? Help?!

·
Registered
544 Posts
What cable did you buy exactly? Is it a 3.5 jack to jack lead?

Like this?

219tryvnjML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I would recommend trying another cable if it is. (don't buy it from halfords because they probably charge a fortune for such a small cable. Try any electronics store, Argos might even do it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
MK3 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
8,494 Posts
Argos do sell the lead that you need i bought one then found the same lead in the ipod box so wasted about £10 but you have to turn the volume right up on the ipod and you have to use the ipod to change tracks and albums,probably easier to put it on shuffle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers everyone I will try it, come to think of it I do think ive got a white lead in my ipod box!!!!!!!!!!!! HALFORDs charged be about a tenner for a cheapy nasty looking black jack to jack lead!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same problem. I was plugging my USB lead into the socket under my arm rest but not hearing any sound. Do I need that other lead going from my headphone socket into the car too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I didn't even know about a USB socket under the arm rest!! Mine is in the glove box it's a circular White socket and now I've turned up the volume on my iPod it works! That's from the socket to the iPod and then placed in the glove box but on shuffle. However from the socket to my iPhone is not so successful it's a faint sound with a loud heartbeat kind of sound ontop of it, not sure the problem there. Was also going to say I presume the iPod only works if charged and that it doesn't charge from the car???

What cable did you buy exactly? Is it a 3.5 jack to jack lead?

Like this?

View attachment 38447

I would recommend trying another cable if it is. (don't buy it from halfords because they probably charge a fortune for such a small cable. Try any electronics store, Argos might even do it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Socket under the arm rest?? I didnt even know there was one
I dont use the ipod unless its long journeys with family onboard. I find the volume very poor as you are using the power from the ipod rather than the headunit, plus its arkward chaging tracks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mmmm still have the same problem not with the ipod Ive cranked up the volume and it works although its a bit tempremental!! But plugging it into my iphone is a different matter, still not much sound and a loud noise over the top??!!! I JUST WANNA LISTEN TO MY MUSIC!

·
Registered
552 Posts
only have a socket in the armrest if you have the ipod holder in there.. it was an option.
if you do have that socket, it will also charge the ipod.

can be retrofitted though.. but its not cheap

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can charge the ipod using the usb under the armrest. This allows you to control the ipod through the headunit. But you still need a 3.5 jack to jack cable for he audio. You can buy a lead from Ford but cannot be bothered getting the finis code from the leaflet in the car lol

·
Super Moderator
MK3 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
8,494 Posts
You can charge the ipod using the usb under the armrest. This allows you to control the ipod through the headunit. But you still need a 3.5 jack to jack cable for he audio. You can buy a lead from Ford but cannot be bothered getting the finis code from the leaflet in the car lol
You should have the 3.5 jack to jack with your ipod its in the box

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought a USB charger for cigarette lighter socket in centre console so I can charge from under armrest and a 3.5 jack lead that is 1.8m long from Tesco's £14 which I routed back through blanking plate in glove box over and then under edge of centre console.

Then I unclipped gear lever trim and in centre console where drinks holder is I have a removeable cup holder which I drilled a hole under, large enough to allow jack plug through then put cup holder back. This way Ipod sits on cup holder and I have some control advancing songs etc with ease and can charge Ipod when necessary again with ease.

When I remove the Ipod I can easily lift the cup holder and push back the wire just leaving the jack plug laid in the bottom of centre console and then replace cup holder. This leaves no wire showing and hopefully prevents some scrote from trying to nick the hidden Ipod. It took about 20 mins to do and is alot easier than having Ipod in glovey and less expense than upgrading head unit or leads to it.

Don't know if it's of any interest to any one if it is I'll put some pic's together.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i got a nice fm transmitter that plus into 12v socket under the armrest. it charges the ipod, plays music through the radio and no wired mess. cost me €50 but definitely worth it. Also RDS compatible so shows the song title on the radio display:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've only had my car a couple of days so I may not be the best person to comment but I thought I'd share my experiences anyway. I'm currently running my ipod using the white ipod lead and a 3.5 jack lead plugged in under the armrest. The sound quality is quite poor but it does work.

I have ordered a lead that plugs into the ipod connector and then splits into a usb and 3.5 jack. When it arrives I'll let you know how it works. I'm hoping this will improve the sound as it will take the sound input from the ipod like my ipod dock in the house does??

ipod_connector.jpg

I've had a thought with regards the non-charging as well. Some of the newer ipods(latest nano for example) don't charge on my bose ipod dock and I'm wondering if the same thing applies??

Thanks,
Ash

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts