Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Insurances renewal is comming up soon and basically i'm in limbo because of a pending claim, which effecticaly means i have 0 NCB at the moment. Anyway adding my mum as a named diver drastically reduces the quotes i'm getting. Couple of questions tho

if shes on my policy and makes a claim will that affect my NCB?

if i make a claim will that affect her NCB? (on her main car seperate policy)

will she need to tell her current insurerers shes a named driver on my car?

Never had a policy with a named driver or been a named driver before so dont really know much about it. The second question is the main one though becuase i dont want anything i do to affect her policy really.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,437 Posts
My take on this:

If shes on my policy and makes a claim will that affect my NCB?
She can't make a claim, only you can as the policyholder.

If i make a claim will that affect her NCB? (on her main car seperate policy)
No.

Will she need to tell her current insurerers shes a named driver on my car?
Normally, Yes

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Alb @ 13 Jan 2010, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My take on this:

If shes on my policy and makes a claim will that affect my NCB?
She can't make a claim, only you can as the policyholder.

If i make a claim will that affect her NCB? (on her main car seperate policy)
No.

Will she need to tell her current insurerers shes a named driver on my car?
Normally, Yes

thanks, can't help but think it sounds too good to be true

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,437 Posts
I've found previously that being a named driver can reduce the premium on your main insurance.
Must be about the risk being shared.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Alb @ 13 Jan 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've found previously that being a named driver can reduce the premium on your main insurance.
Must be about the risk being shared.

ha cool, she'll like that

·
Vendor
708 Posts
if shes on my policy and makes a claim will that affect my NCB?

The answers are -

YES

NO

NO

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE([email protected] @ 13 Jan 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if shes on my policy and makes a claim will that affect my NCB?

The answers are -

YES

NO

NO

cool thanks

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE([email protected] @ 13 Jan 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if shes on my policy and makes a claim will that affect my NCB?

The answers are -

YES

NO

NO

Really on the last one? As it is a material fact and therefore they should be informed as driving the vehicle she is only a named driver on there is risk to her primary policy! At outset most insurers ask if you have access to any other vehicle for this very reason!

·
Vendor
708 Posts
QUOTE(Si @ 13 Jan 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Really on the last one? As it is a material fact and therefore they should be informed as driving the vehicle she is only a named driver on there is risk to her primary policy! At outset most insurers ask if you have access to any other vehicle for this very reason!

If someone is a named driver on someone's policy, it has no bearing on their own policy. Obviously if they have an accident as a named driver, they must notify their own insurers.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
1 We all agree if she make a claim this woudl effect your NCD and you would have to declare the accident at renewals even if she is no longer on your policy.

2 If she makes a claim on your policy this will not reduce her NCD but it may effect her likelyhood to get protected NCD if she attempts to move her policy at renewal (I think this is morallywrong but it does happen
)

3 She should obviosuly answer all questions correctly at any quote/renewal however is this a material fact, I dn't tink so. If you are a named driver on a policy there is no risk to your own seperate policy, only risk would be if that first policy refused to indemnify your liability which assuming the policy was taken out correctly would not happen, in any account their only posible risk would be as domestic insurer (forgot what it is now refered to as
).

If they have driving other cars extension then there would be a risk if not named or indemnity is refused but as there is no duty to disclose number of cars you may or may not drive using your DOC I still say this is not a material fact.

The simple answer is, put her on your policy just in case she has to drive it and enjoy the reduced premium as a result. Then don't let her drive it
. If she ever has a claim on her own policy see what this does to your next renewal and decide if you want to keep her on or not

1 - 11 of 11 Posts