Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a corsa 1.2 sxi for my 17 year old daughter, she is currently learning and still on her provisional licence.

1: If i buy the car before she passes her test, how do i insure it so that i can take her out on L plates, is it in her name or mine ?

Thanks in advance

·
1,285 Posts
Insure it in your name and add her on as a named driver with a provisional licence. That covers her to drive the car BUT you must have held your full licence for 3 years (and be over 21
) in order for you to instruct her.

She will have to be supervised at all times when driving and that MUST be done by a driver who has held their licence for 3 years and is over 21.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
293 Posts
happy new year smoggy.

just spoke about this last night. mate bought a focus on a y plate for his son who is learning now and only pays £20 a month for insurance . if he wants his son putting on the insurance they have quoted him £90 a month just so he can take him out on the policy.

he has told them to stick it and leave his son learning with a instructor

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies

She currently has an instructor, we wanted the car as an extra incentive for her to pass, will cost her £1300 to insure herself.(3rd party,fire/theft )

Have told her i will buy car for her, but she must insure it, when she has passed.
I would like to take her out for xtra practice/confidence, just not in the

Thanks

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
alot of insurance companys dont like you to put young drivers on your policy now hence why the prices are rising. it would be better to get a policy for her in her name on a provisional licence and she will also be building NCB.
the way i got my mrs insurance down when she was 19 at the time is to get a policy in her name and we added her mom on it as 2nd driver.her mom has had a clean licence for many many years and it bought it down by £300 lol and i went on it too which bought it down £100.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'd do it in her name - add yourself as a named driver, but she should be able to have her own policy as a provisional license holder.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Definately do it in her name, then she can also build her no claims. Thats what I did.

Its a bit pointless putting it in your name for her, as she will probably be the main driver, so her as a named driver would be wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again everyone for your replies in her name it goes then, now i just need to find a nice 1.2 sxi corsa in black or silver....

Happy new year to you all.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts