Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an issue with my car failing to start which turned out to be my instrument cluster. I sent it to ECU Testing but unfortunately they were unable to repair as the unit was not powering up.

I understand that I can replace the clock cluster perhaps with a used part (if I can find one) and get someone to do a "suck and blow" / reprogramming.
  • If my old unit is not powering up, is this possible if I get a replacement unit? (i'm guessing they get the data from the clock cluster, please correct me if I am wrong)
  • Does the clock cluster have to be the exact part no as my clock cluster i.e. 6M5T-10849-PG ?
  • Any recommendations where I can get hold of a clock cluster and any garages / services that can do this within the Braintree / Chelmsford area?
I am absolutely green with this kind of issue and would appreciate any comments with any options that are available to me.

My Focus ST is a MK2 06 plate.

Many thanks in advance.

· Registered
2007 3dr Focus ST performance blue
70 Posts
You can change with any ST cluster from the market, personally I would go for a facelift big screen one (saw a few on ebay/marketplace). The programming can be done even at home with basic tools as long as you have at least two keys. Otherwise, you should find mobile locksmiths that can come to your home.

· Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
27,793 Posts
Have a look at these threads:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I bought a vLinker FS USB cable and tried connecting using ELMconfig (ver 0.2.17c).
I tried to read the HEC config or even the VIN but am getting the error “incorrect response from adapter to request st gtc 30:O”
The cable appears to work and connect with forscan fine.

Any ideas?

· Registered
2007 3dr Focus ST performance blue
70 Posts
Check the engine type to be sure it matches. Elmconfig is notorious for being a pain to connect. Usually it needs drivers and you need to make sure you select the right port from the startup menu. If you don't have a "com" port then i'm pretty sure the adapter is not properly configured. Open device manager with the cable connected and select update/install driver -> search online for drivers. If i remember correctly that worked for me.
Also, you may want to look into installing forscan and applying for a trial license in order to do the pats programming procedure. (Forscan has some good tutorials on both procedures on their forum)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New instrument cluster fitted and car running.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

If anyone is having an issue or wants to update their cluster, I can recommend CustoMod.co.uk where I purchased the cluster along with his programming service over the internet (which also includes obd cable).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts