Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a sub and am for my ST, question is where do you route the power cable from the battery and phono leads etc. I dont want to be breaking any panels as i dont know what i am doing.

any help or pictures would be a great help. Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Hello mate just done this to mine not sure if your running standard stereo or upgraded one?
the power cable is easy to do remove the passenger carpet which hides the fusebox.Turn the two black screws which hold the fuse box up so then it drops down.
The next thing i done was to undo the for nuts which hold the fuse box in postion then the whole fuse box assembly can be dropped down which will make it really easy to get power cable from bulkhead.
Then lift bonnet and look at the battery area look to left of batteru on the bulk head and you will see a rubber grommet this is where the power cable enters the car.Once you have pushed the wire into the grommet you can now go inside the car and get hand right upto the gromment and find the end of the power cable.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
yes i am using the standard stereo as did not want to change the look all you have to do is buy a converter which you link into your rear speaker outputs which then gives you an rca output aswell which you run to your sub amp

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh thanks for that info mate, well I'm waiting on delivery on a new headunit so is not standard. How dis you run the wires down the side of the car?

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
well run the power and the remote wire down passenger side and run your rca leads down drives side to cu out the interference the side panels just pull them and should not break the clips.

·
Registered
379 Posts
QUOTE(adrian2006uk @ 30 Dec 2009, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes i am using the standard stereo as did not want to change the look all you have to do is buy a converter which you link into your rear speaker outputs which then gives you an rca output aswell which you run to your sub amp

have u got any pics or anything to say what and where the wires are that you connect to?

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Sorry have not got any pictures but it is easy as i was doing a few other jobs i had removed both rear quater panels inside so i had excess to the rear speaker leads.If you dont want to remove the rear panels then you could remove the stereo and splice into the rear speak wires from the stereo end.
http://www.darvex.com/SGN11/Stinger+Line+O...+Convertor.html
the link is the converter i used but you can get different ones from most stereo shops without a problem.
Two white wires from converter join into the left rear speaker.The two grey wires join into the right rear speaker and the brown wire you can run to earth which will stop interference.
Then just plug in the rca leads and the amp will run along side the rear speakers.With the sub box i went for it came with bass controller so it gives you some control over the box as doing it from standard stereo you do loose the control over the subwoofer.Which i fitted inside the ash tray hidden out the way.
If you need and more info just pm me so i know you want more info on subject

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I did mine about three months ago, I found the easiest way to wire in the RCA connector was to splice the wires on the back if the standard HU. I then run high quality shielded RCA leads with the power lead (I have no interference issues at all!) and they just tuck under the trim just inside the door sills. The trim is quite tight so holds the cables perfectly and is not visable at all.

I thought it would take me ages to fit but to be honest I did all the wiring in about two hours. I even ran the power via a switch hidden inside the armrest, as I dont always want the sub to be on.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 31 Dec 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sorry ive never ran a sub off a standard head unit before, what would i run the remote cable off? thanks

There is no remote connector as on other aftermarket HUs. On mine I connected the remote wire to the middle of my main power lead. then ran the remote wire to my centre console , inserted a switch , then ran it to the sub. The sub is "controlled" by the switch (on/off, as I don't have the sub on that often), and by the HU for bass (via the tone button). Seems to work fine. Bit of a workaround to not having the remote connector.

Sounds a bit complex but it isn't I'll try to do a quick diag and edit this post soon, but I'm at work so be patient!

EDIT:

·
Registered
379 Posts
QUOTE(darrenx @ 31 Dec 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Has anyone got any pictres to show where you run cables from? I would be running power, rca and switch on from my after market alpine.. thanks all.

run from where? the headunit?

RCA's down one side, power down the other, and the "switch on" (i presume remote wire) is on the loom at the back of ur headunit..

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(darrenx @ 31 Dec 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Has anyone got any pictres to show where you run cables from? I would be running power, rca and switch on from my after market alpine.. thanks all.

If I did take pictures all you would see are the panels! Wires are all hidden behind them and I aint going to be taking them apart anytime soon! Its really easy mate just pop the bonnet, look behind the battery for the large rubber grommet, this is where the power goes from the battery.

Then take out the glovebox and route the cables down either side of the car, RCA one side, power the other, (although all mine go down the passenger side, I have a very high end RCA cable so no interference). All you need to do is tuck the cables under the plastic trim just inside the door sill.

Removing the glovebox and having the HU out you will see that there is a massive amount of space to work/feed cables.

·
Registered
786 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.