Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Club Members,

I am on a mission to reduce in car noise and smoothen out the ride. Over the years the noises have been getting louder and rougher, this is from the road, bumps and general rattles and squeaks as the entire car decays with age.

When I first picked it up it handled lumps and bumps like a champ, most road noise was deadened and I could hear myself think. Now it sounds like I'm driving around with the windows open, seized suspension and tyres made of rocks.

I have started first with getting tyres that have good performance and low DB. I have GY all round they are reported to be slightly quieter than contis. Although I'm not sure they are quieter, might try contis again in the future just to see.

I have no suspension mods, that's all standard. Why does going over a ridge in the road seem so harsh now days? even lumps and minor bumps seem like huge pot holes???

I'm going to be looking at the exhaust soon as this DS system is beyond a joke, I will probably change make. It has nothing to do with fitting as it was put together by Torque of the Devil who were more than capable, and even though they don't exist anymore, they are probably still more capable than most out there. BUT I will be getting it checked over anyway at SCC...just incase

Internal noises I am working on reducing, like little rubber stickies under the arm rest as that sometimes bounces up and down, I have removed all loose change in the various little cubbies I have about. I have put anti-slip rubber matting in the glove box to stop things sliding around. The boot I am also keeping tidy and having nothing rolling around in there.

What else can I do to remove/reduce noise? Have my bushes had it, it that why bumps feel like hell? would eibachs improve anything? Would fitting an antiroll bar assist in anyway?

*Please omit the following from your suggestions and replies:
1. Turn the radio up
2. It's a ford, deal with it.
3. Headphones
4. Stop your wining
5. Sell the car (although it's starting to look like my only way out)

Thanks,
D.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
For the suspension I would say look at bushes and ball joints, check that the dampers are still damping effectively.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
take the carpets up and dynamat the whole floor and boot area then refit the carpets
I have a roll of this black foamy sound deadening stuff, I will give it a go. I will try under the rear seats and under the boot carpet I guess. Sounds like a good idea.

·
Formerly Known As Shep4785
1,421 Posts
I know what you are saying about the rattles as mines the same. In regards to tyres I've noticed less rattles going from Michelin PS3's to Dunlop 4D's (winter tyres) must be that the tyre wall is a lot stiffer on the Michelins.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what you are saying about the rattles as mines the same. In regards to tyres I've noticed less rattles going from Michelin PS3's to Dunlop 4D's (winter tyres) must be that the tyre wall is a lot stiffer on the Michelins.
Dunlop 4D have a db noise rating of 69 and the Michelin PS3's have 71db. But that is enough to notice. Daaan-Saaf though it isn't worth running winter tyres really.

·
1,421 Posts
Dunlop 4D have a db noise rating of 69 and the Michelin PS3's have 71db. But that is enough to notice. Daaan-Saaf though it isn't worth running winter tyres really.
Its not the DB rating (I can tell they are quieter) but also get less rattles over bumps. Some tyres have harder side walls than others and this is a contributing factor.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not the DB rating (I can tell they are quieter) but also get less rattles over bumps. Some tyres have harder side walls than others and this is a contributing factor.
Yeah I suppose if we are talking winter tyres, but nearly all the performance tyres on 18" Alloys are very low profile and the difference between their walls cushioning lumps would be so minor. If I purchased 16's or 17" alloys then the walls would be quite large.

I could try running 32PSI rather than 33PSI. That would create a squidgier tyre that might absorb some lumps n bumps.

·
1,421 Posts
Yeah I suppose if we are talking winter tyres, but nearly all the performance tyres on 18" Alloys are very low profile and the difference between their walls cushioning lumps would be so minor. If I purchased 16's or 17" alloys then the walls would be quite large.

I could try running 32PSI rather than 33PSI. That would create a squidgier tyre that might absorb some lumps n bumps.
I run 225/40/18 winter tyres.

·
Registered
732 Posts
tyres suited for wet weather like a uniroyal rainsport for example have very soft sidewalls. They give a very floaty feeling though. I had them on the back of my st for a couple of weeks they were terrible!

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
I'm popping to SCC in the next week or so, I will get them to have a good look at me bushes and ball joints.

How do I check if the dampers are working effectively? If I push down on the car it returns to it's height with no bouncing or anything.
That's basically the test I think - when you bounce the car it should return to normal without continuing to bounce.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's wrong with your DS exhaust? Drone or just too loud for you?
When I first start the car in the morning, it's like a huge sub in the boot on a constant frequency until the revs settle. It's so bad that when you talk you can hear your voice waves bouncing! crazy.

If I have a single passenger in the car and we are on an incline then the drone returns and makes it impossible to hold a conversation without actually shouting! no lies. Even worse with a full car.

But if no load and cruising then totally silent, like it should be.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Regarding trying to reduce some bass coming from the rear, I cleared out the boot and lifted the black matting to revel an almost perfect bass speaker. If you press on it it flexes quite easily, if you bang on it then you suddenly realise that this needs to be sorted.

I will be buying some Dynomat or similar, seems to be some good alternatives with good reviews (eg. FATMAT). I will cover the entire area.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Go for dynamat xtreme, you don't really need much to make a big difference. You can get a sheet off ebay for about £11, 3 or 4 sheets at most in the boot area will be enough!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts