Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my recent circumstances of the breakdown of my realtionship, (which for those of you who read the thread, I've only just left hospital after two operations on an extremely rare condition where stress and other similar factors, can cause a form of thrombosis on the brain) the fact I'm leaving the army so got shed loads of time off and will now have even more due to the operations, Has left me rather bored!

So I'm planning a road trip of some sort and really fancy Belgium as I've been before, now what I was wondering is how much tobacco I can actually bring back with me.

The internet has some pretty conflicting stuff and the HMRC website last time I checked said that there is no 'limit' as such but you must be able to prove that its for personal use.

It does however mention that a reasonable amount is 3kg.

How exactly would you go about proving its for your own use?

How much have you guys that have been over brought back?

Last time I went was in 2009 and the law actually was 3kg then.

Thoughts, experiences folks.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea but most of them programs are old....

So much info on the web states that the LAW is 3kg, but HMRC themselves say there is no actual limit but 3kg is reasonable and it must be for your own use, but how do you prove it?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
I think it all comes down to what you can explain away as personal use. Not like you're going in a van or anything. I'd work out how much you smoke in a year and not go over that amount.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,605 Posts
You might find someone asking the question as to why someone with a thrombosis would be importing large quantities of tobacco for "personal use".

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You might find someone asking the question as to why someone with a thrombosis would be importing large quantities of tobacco for "personal use".
It isnt like I'm going over tomorrow......

I dont smoke that much at all, but when you consider that last time I went was over 4 years ago..... (it was 2008 not 2009 that I went)

Also since when do customs go through your medical history?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
http://www.hmrc.gov..../arrivingeu.htm

Although there are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring in from EU countries, customs officials are more likely to ask you questions if you have more than the following:
Goods brought to the UK from the European Union
Until 30 September 2011
From 1 October 2011
Cigarettes
Cigars
Cigarillos
Tobacco
3 kilograms
1 kilogram
Beer
110 litres
110 litres
Wine
90 litres
90 litres
Spirits
10 litres
10 litres
Fortified wine (for example port or sherry)
20 litres
20 litres

That help?
This is correct, anything above and they then have reason to question you. It seems unless you can prove both where you purchased it, and for personal use, they may confiscate above the above levels.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,605 Posts
It isnt like I'm going over tomorrow......

I dont smoke that much at all, but when you consider that last time I went was over 4 years ago..... (it was 2008 not 2009 that I went)

Also since when do customs go through your medical history?
Customs wouldn't have that knowledge at all Rob. I merely posed the question for the benefit of this audience because you shared that bigger picture with us.
As thrombosis has the potential to be fatal, I struggle to understand why anyone who suffers from it would wish to increase one of the risk factors.
Perhaps you can tell I'm a lifelong non-smoker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts