Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do owners think is the current 'image' of the Focus ST marque as it is now approaches 5-years old … and how have the owners of the cars also changed ?

How do the general pubic perceive our cars - both standard and modified - and what is the ST owner now seen as ?

People who bought the Focus ST when it first came out may be best placed to answer these questions, but everyone will have different experiences that will show how they and their cars are thought of …

So has the ST still got 'it' ? Is it still cool ? Is it still respected as a no-nonsense, working-man's supercar ?

Or is it dated and naff, a boyracer's car, overtaken by more modern hot-hatch coupes like the Scirocco R and Megane RS250 ?

What is the average age of the ST owner now and what do the public and other car drivers think of them ?

Give me your views please chaps.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,446 Posts
still cool in my opinion. other cars you've mentioned, don't float my boat. st does everything well, its comfortable, awesomely fast when modded, and is spacious enough. not sure you could say that about the scirrocco & the megane. still the working mans hot hatch.

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
I have one of the first batch available, I remember people taking pics of my car on the M1 M 25, nobody would do that now. Don't get me wrong i love the car to bits still, but it's deffinately not as cool as it first was, the Rs, sirocco r are way more cool.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
the ST 225 still has the stance i like ,looks agresive and still goes like stink with the corect mods put in place so no i deffo dont think you could call it dated,boy racerish etc etc .
STILL a sought after car ,drives good ,looks good,goes good,is comfortable ....what more do you want from a car !!

·
Registered
204 Posts
too many guys that haven`t shaved yet driving them round my parts that iv seen

i feel im old in it and im only just 25 lol

im enjoying the car and when i tell people what i drive they seem to know what it is and more impressed than when i say about the M3 or the Subaru`s

If only it was 4wd my only real gripe lol

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Due to the age of the first ones that rolled out the production line, you can now pick an
up for cheap money and that has meant that its once richer, older, more experienced and politer clientele has been replaced by part-time boyracers who drive it like they stole it. Whereas before you may have got the thumbsup if you blasted past someone on the motorway I think you'd now be looking at the bird instead.

I personally don't like the facelift's look, the pre-facelift looks much meaner and much more like the business. The car was meant to be a wolf with conscience (ie, looked mean, went like mad but yet, still had room for your shopping and held you and some passengers in awesome comfort) but the new look just makes it a wolf in sheep's clothing. The new looks don't look as impressive and that may have helped lower our rep on the road. Those not in the know see a normal looking Focus being driven fast and assume someone's ragging the pants off a 1.6.

I also think Ford let too many be made. I've only had mine 18 months but even I've noticed that less people are interested in watching you when they are walking by/standing at the side of the road. Again, that's probably hit our reputation. More STs gives people more chance to see one being driven stupidly.

Having said that, I'd never give my
up for any other hot-hatch, it's still exceptionally cool and very much still has all of "it". I don't care if people give me a thumbsup or the bird while I'm driving. The fact I'm driving the car I wanted for a few years nullifies what anyone else thinks. I'd only ever sell it if it started to become a target for vandals. But considering I live in a field I think I'm fairly safe on that one at the mo.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have only had mine for 18 months. but i still get peoples heads turning when i drive past and the odd motorist stopping me for a chat at the petrol station. I think it is still a very cool car and for me at least still very nice to walk back to it in a parking lot and drive home(or drive anywhere for that matter). People in my age range seem very impressed with it. I personally think hot hatches are generally very appealing to people.

Obviously as second hand prices fall it becomes a more affordable object. but that is not to say it is a bad thing. An ST is still a relatively rare sight on the roads(i have only ever seen one other white facelift on the road since i have had mine
I get quite excited when i see another facelift aswell
) so even if the odd dummy is driving one that does not tarnish the overall image of the car itself. I think Clarkson has pretty much defined the car from the outset anyway with his infamous 'ASBO' review anyway
so it does not really matter what we do TBH

P.S Before someone says 'I see ST's everywhere so there not rare' i meant in comparision to a normal golf, focus, megane, astra, 3 series etc.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
QUOTE(yoinkster @ 29 Jan 2010, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Having said that, I'd never give my
up for any other hot-hatch, it's still exceptionally cool and very much still has all of "it". I don't care if people give me a thumbsup or the bird while I'm driving. The fact I'm driving the car I wanted for a few years nullifies what anyone else thinks.

Interesting point this,

Having only owned my ST for around 3 months, I would like to believe it's still cool

But the reality is they probably aren't quite as fashionable as they were back in 05. Think most of it's thunder has been pinched by the RS. But then saying that, you can always tell the petrolheads as I find that it still regularly turns heads. However that could be because it's EO and the 'heads' in question are 17 years old

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
It probably isn't what it was.

In the same way as the new RS has the "wow" factor now, the ST had it 5 or so years ago.

Rambo is Moondust Silver and so doesn't stand out as much anyway; however a few days ago I was washing Rambo and a lad (about 11 or 12 years old I suppose) cycled past, stopped and cycled back again.

"Cool car mate", he said. "Can I look?".

Now obviously, I was immediately on full alert. 12 years old he may have been, but he may also simply have a crowbar up his sleeve and had decided that a "car jacking" was something fun to pass the time....

But no - he was GENUINELY interested, and recognised it wasn't a bog-standard Focus. He asked intelligent questions, and was (it appeared) genuinely impressed.

After he cycled off I thought, "hmmmm - what if he IS scouting for some thieving scum?" But luckily no, he is a new neighbour's son.

I was left with a warm glow.

33 years old I might be, and maybe the ST isn't what it was - but to that 12 year old kid, my car was still "cool".

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm not one of these people that worries about car image, hell I am buying a BMW 320d touring for the Mrs at the minute, and I'm 36 and drive a "boy racers" Focus ST with a dump valve.

There are plenty on here, and most car forums that do care though, and they are the same people that were on Scoobynet in 1999 when the Impreza was the latest must have toy for the IT professionals and sales managers.

They have excess disposable income so they buy the latest "hot hatch/rally rep" play toy so they can shout out how successful they are, and then a few years down the line when the car becomes cheaper they start moaning that it has fallen into the hands of chavs and its "not what it used to be", and the scene has beem destroyed, yadda yadda.

So they sell their "chav car" and buy the next play toy until that becomes affordable to the masses, then they start moaning about that - the RS and Golf R will go the same way, Evo X and GTR will follow.

It has always happened, was the same back when the 205 GTI and Golf GTI were brand new.

Me personally, I buy whatever car I fancy at the time regardless of the image it portrays, which is why I was also testing a BMW 123d coupe and 125i convertible last week to replace the ST with.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Excellent topic mate.

I would say that it's still the choice for someone who's not a brand pervert and wants a lot of bang for their buck without stupid running costs or loss of practicality.

That said it's fast becomming a chav car and definately has that reputation amoungst other car owners. Mine is always being labelled as a chav's car at work by the BMW, VW and Audi crowd. Not that it bothers me!

I think the RS really has diluted the ST brand too - there's something about owning the top of the range, the STs just don't stand out anymore.

Mine's a facelift and was the first one I saw round town for a month or so, but now there are double figures and I don't think I make a journey now without seeing another ST on the road.

I still think in years to come it will be considered a classic.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,248 Posts
Thanks for the view so far - excellent and interesting reading

Personally, when the Focus ST first appeared (and I had a modified 2001 2.0 Zetec) I thought it was an expensive, unattainable, 'supercar' with amazing power (more than the Mk1 RS !) and stunning looks. It also seemed pretty classy to me with few striped-up or modified cars around... no ASBO !

The owners also appeared quite mature and I rarely saw one being driven very fast and certainly not badly.

Within about 2 years my view had changed quite significantly though. The prices of the (used) ST had dropped and although they were still seen as a seriously quick car, their looks had started to date and I thought the EO versions now looked particularly iffy. The used prices however were still out of my range and most owners still appeared to be over-35...

At the start of 2008 I started having trouble with my old Focus and was looking for a suitable replacement. I tried several cars including an Impreza WRX, Audi A4 1.8T and an Astra 2.0T sport-hatch, before seeing a 55-plate Focus ST with just 8000m, for only £12,995.

I drove the car and was instantly smitten - great power, tidy handling, a smart interior with Recaros, well-equipped and very low mileage - just perfect.

I got my PB ST and have never looked back... the car being almost perfect to drive and own as well as being highly-respected by friends, family and even total strangers.

It's definately a car for those 'in the know' though ... quite a few people look blank when I say I have a Focus 'ST' and dont realise its performance level is similar to a 'Cosworth' which everyone had heard of.

And although I have loads of fella's ask me about the car over the last two years, now its mostly kids who look at it and ask 'how fast Mr.'

But I still love it and think it looks and goes as well as anything for the money

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE(Dream Weaver @ 29 Jan 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not one of these people that worries about car image, hell I am buying a BMW 320d touring for the Mrs at the minute, and I'm 36 and drive a "boy racers" Focus ST with a dump valve.

There are plenty on here, and most car forums that do care though, and they are the same people that were on Scoobynet in 1999 when the Impreza was the latest must have toy for the IT professionals and sales managers.

They have excess disposable income so they buy the latest "hot hatch/rally rep" play toy so they can shout out how successful they are, and then a few years down the line when the car becomes cheaper they start moaning that it has fallen into the hands of chavs and its "not what it used to be", and the scene has beem destroyed, yadda yadda.

So they sell their "chav car" and buy the next play toy until that becomes affordable to the masses, then they start moaning about that - the RS and Golf R will go the same way, Evo X and GTR will follow.

It has always happened, was the same back when the 205 GTI and Golf GTI were brand new.

Me personally, I buy whatever car I fancy at the time regardless of the image it portrays, which is why I was also testing a BMW 123d coupe and 125i convertible last week to replace the ST with.

Oooh I fancy a 123d coupe too - are we the only 2 people in the world who like them!?!

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Well like Phil I am probably one of the few that still have our original cars ... one of the 1st ...... some 4 and a bit years on.

I have never kept a car so long, I use to get bored after about 18 months .... but not with this one .... maybe as it took me 3 years before I started modding it.

Do I (oops sorry the Car) still turn heads ..... o yes .... everyday someone on my short journey gives it a 2nd look..... and I quite often get lots of questions about it. .... Maybe the cheq s... Maybe the OZ alloys ..... I just like to think its the driver !!!!.

Love it still .... !!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
QUOTE(HollST @ 29 Jan 2010, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oooh I fancy a 123d coupe too - are we the only 2 people in the world who like them!?!

I didn't like them at all, and decided they looked like a squashed 3 series coupe.

But I was over at the BMW dealers in Blackburn looking at a 3 series they had in for the Mrs, and when I walked in they had a dark metallic grey 123d Coupe, with big black wheels fitted and it looked fantastic, such a cool stance.

I asked the sales guy about it, thinking it was some race spec special and he said they had fitted the wheels themselves, so then I had a sit in and was instantly smitten with it. He'd sold that one, but I've looked at a few others now and I like them, and I'm really getting into the convertible one as well - just need to try out the different engines now as they do the 125 and 135i as well.

I'm a big bloke, and don't fit in a lot of coupe's but this is the first time I had to move the seat forward.

There is something quite cool about a smart diesel coupe though with 204bhp and good running costs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE(Dream Weaver @ 29 Jan 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't like them at all, and decided they looked like a squashed 3 series coupe.

But I was over at the BMW dealers in Blackburn looking at a 3 series they had in for the Mrs, and when I walked in they had a dark metallic grey 123d Coupe, with big black wheels fitted and it looked fantastic, such a cool stance.

I asked the sales guy about it, thinking it was some race spec special and he said they had fitted the wheels themselves, so then I had a sit in and was instantly smitten with it. He'd sold that one, but I've looked at a few others now and I like them, and I'm really getting into the convertible one as well - just need to try out the different engines now as they do the 125 and 135i as well.

I'm a big bloke, and don't fit in a lot of coupe's but this is the first time I had to move the seat forward.

There is something quite cool about a smart diesel coupe though with 204bhp and good running costs.

Yeh it seems to be best of both worlds - engine Alpina use in the D3 - although they add another turbo!

The 135's are pretty tasty too - used to be the fastest non M BMW - not sure if that's still the case.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(HollST @ 29 Jan 2010, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oooh I fancy a 123d coupe too - are we the only 2 people in the world who like them!?!
Nope.
(Although mine's not a coupé as I need to get stuff in the back..)

The Alpina D3 is the same engine as the 123d (which is also twin-turbo). Alpina get another couple of bhp out of it though (but a remap on the 123d will see it to around 250bhp easily). If anyone has any questions about what it's like day to day, I'm happy to answer questions if I can help. I'm not bored with mine in the slightest, and it's now covered 18k miles..

135i is indeed the quickest 1-series, although there is talk of an M-version. They just can't call it the 'M1' as that was the badge of their 80's supercar and I think they want to hold on to it in case they create an R8 competitor. The 135i has just had an engine overhaul (N54 > N55) which sees it go from being a 3.0 straight 6 twin-turbo to a single, twin-scroll turbo. Power outputs remain the same at 302bhp. The 135i can be remapped up to around 360bhp.

DW > the one you saw was probably a BMW Performance model. Lots of nice, trick bits (at a cost of thousands!).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dont worry guys , the
is still a very cool car! Despite Ford selling 'thousands' they are a rare site on our roads (by me anyway!!) I found it just as easy to drift around roundabouts (wet) in my CR285
as i do in my 330 , and it was waaaaaaay faster in all conditions!!!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I got my car way back in March 2006 and straight away I was getting questioned about it. I stay in a small village and I was getting people coming to my front door to ask questions about the car. It is by no means a rare car now but I still get asked about my car all the time and it still regularly has people turning their heads to see what is coming down the road.

I used to keep cars for around a year and then get bored and move on but with the ST I am now approching the 4 year old mark and there is no way I would consider selling up for something else.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.