Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friggin awesome tyres, got a pair of Continental Winter Contact 245/45/18 tyres on the front, was surprised the 245's would fit without rubbing but they are perfect.

The grip is insane in the wet / cold. Steering is so sharp and responsive, never felt anything like these before.

Standard suspension and wheels and 245's fit with no rubbing even at full lock.

Full 5* rating from me. Got them part worn with 4.5mm tread and no puncture repairs etc for £70 for two.

·
Formerly Known As Shep4785
1,421 Posts
Friggin awesome tyres, got a pair of Continental Winter Contact 245/45/18 tyres on the front, was surprised the 245's would fit without rubbing but they are perfect.

The grip is insane in the wet / cold. Steering is so sharp and responsive, never felt anything like these before.

Standard suspension and wheels and 245's fit with no rubbing even at full lock.

Full 5* rating from me. Got them part worn with 4.5mm tread and no puncture repairs etc for £70 for two.
If you've only got two on the front then I would be very careful of the backend of your car. A guy at work fitted two winter tyres to the front and had a few trouser accidents before he realised he needed 4 winter tyres.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
That doesn't sound like a good setup at all.
You've changed the effective rolling radius of two of the wheels. The ESP should be complaining about this big style.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
+1 on all the above points, ESP more than likely to throw a wobbly, and if you hit some of the slippery stuff going around a corner just think of what the rears are going to do whilst the fronts are gripping!? All for winter tyres but should be used on all 4 corners IMO. Imagine this could cause a few insurance issues if you have to make a claim too as you are using a non standard wheel/tyre combo!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why does everyone on here moan about everything i do, like i have to follow the crowd or something... my tyres are all wrong, my cais is wrong, my stickers are wrong.

its christmas, liven up

·
1,421 Posts
why does everyone on here moan about everything i do, like i have to follow the crowd or something... my tyres are all wrong, my cais is wrong, my stickers are wrong.

its christmas, liven up
Its called advice, if you don't want me to warn you of miss matched winter tyres then that's ok but don't be surprised when there's part of a lamppost in your boot!

You've already said how well they grip on the front compared to summer tyres so imagine the lack of grip you will have in snow because trust me they grip like nothing else in the white stuff.

Also in regards to the traction control it will harm your ESP eventually as you have increased the rolling circumference on the front an not the back so whilst your rears have done a full rotation your fronts are slightly short of a full rotation if that makes sense.

·
1,421 Posts
Unfortunately text can come across like people are having a go at you. I ran winter tyres last year and in the snow its like driving on a dry road the grip levels are that high, I was going up hills and round bends that I really shouldn't of been able to. So its just a recommendation that you should run a full set of 4.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If I had a spare set of wheels and £1k for winter tyres, I'd have some, but I don't. But to be honest there's been no need for them for me really, weather hasn't been that bad ths year, and I don't think it's going to be too bad, just wet really.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
With that tyre size being 6.44% larger than the original tyre, your speedo will actually be out too, at 60mph on your speedo your real speed would actually be nearly 64mph so be careful with the speed cameras too

I am not going to get into the argument about putting winter tyres on the front and not the rear as well given that it has already been done to death on here

1 - 14 of 14 Posts