Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who invented these things, no one seems to know when they should and should not be used, I have done a few miles today and whilst it has been wet, I have been neable to see for atleast half a mile ahead yet despite this I have followed loads of muppets with not only their front ones on GRRRRR!!! but also their rears!!!!!!Then when you flash them nothing, you get past them and flay your rear and still nothing, have they got no idea of how dazzling fog lights are especially in the wet!!!!

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
How do I fit Fog lights on my F-IN'S Den mate?
Every other
has them on and I might as well have them on my Fins

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
One of my pet hates. There's just no need. Especially these eejits who use fogs with sidelights and make themselves almost invisible...

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They should make then so they only work with side lights as a step in the right direction, also it should restrict the car to 20 mph max, after all if you can see with your diped beeam on or visability is such you can drive at over 10 mph the fog is not dense enough to warrant fog lights, that will stop muppets from using them

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,760 Posts
Yes it's annoying and potentially dangerous. I'm never sure if people have then on because of ignorance or carelessness. Police sometimes pull drivers in - on another forum I help with (www.advanced-driving.co.uk) there is a traffic pol that regularly post and says he stops drivers with great glee as it gives him an excuse to check everything out. He sometimes gets the driver claiming they are 'driving lights' not fog lights but apparently the lens is marked with a code...he checks and if it's wrong he still gives them a ticket.

Just for those that aren't sure, you are only allowed to use fog lights when visibility is less than 100m....how far it that? Well, the small marker posts on motorways are 100m apart.
https://maps.google....1,49.31,,1,7.77

Coincidentally 100m is approx the overall stopping distance at 70mph according to the highway code (96m).

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
They should make then so they only work with side lights as a step in the right direction, also it should restrict the car to 20 mph max, after all if you can see with your diped beeam on or visability is such you can drive at over 10 mph the fog is not dense enough to warrant fog lights, that will stop muppets from using them
Whilst I don't agree with working only with sidelights (see my previous post) if it did limit the car's speed then that would work for me because it would stop the current trend of 'ninja' drivers who drive around on clear nights with sidelights and fogs, which makes them a lot less visible (not to mention restricting their own field of vision somewhat!)

·
Registered
731 Posts
In 20 years of driving I've only ever had to put my fogs on once, and that was when driving through a snowstorm halfway up a Scottish mountain. My girlfriend calls them Terwatt Lights - every time she sees someone driving with them on for no bloody reason she comments, "Terwatt!"

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Yes it's annoying and potentially dangerous. I'm never sure if people have then on because of ignorance or carelessness. Police sometimes pull drivers in - on another forum I help with (www.advanced-driving.co.uk) there is a traffic pol that regularly post and says he stops drivers with great glee as it gives him an excuse to check everything out. He sometimes gets the driver claiming they are 'driving lights' not fog lights but apparently the lens is marked with a code...he checks and if it's wrong he still gives them a ticket.

Just for those that aren't sure, you are only allowed to use fog lights when visibility is less than 100m....how far it that? Well, the small marker posts on motorways are 100m apart.
https://maps.google....1,49.31,,1,7.77

Coincidentally 100m is approx the overall stopping distance at 70mph according to the highway code (96m).
In my book 'driving lights' refer to additional lamps that have the same pattern as high beam, so they would be even worse!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Fronts never bother me, it is the rears that do as sometimes you cannot see the brake lights.

Les

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whilst I don't agree with working only with sidelights (see my previous post) if it did limit the car's speed then that would work for me because it would stop the current trend of 'ninja' drivers who drive around on clear nights with sidelights and fogs, which makes them a lot less visible (not to mention restricting their own field of vision somewhat!)
If you are not blinded by your dipped beam then you do not need your fogs on hence why they should not work with dipped beams (loads of chavs have them on so their car looks cool with 4 lights on)

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fronts never bother me, it is the rears that do as sometimes you cannot see the brake lights.

Les
Try driving an Elise when you
is about 6" of the floor and these thing are straight in your eyes (not to mention 4x4's) and when they are behind you you may as well take your mirror off (I have to dipped mine to the floor so serve not purpose but I still get dazzled by the door mirrors

·
Registered
874 Posts
Try driving an Elise when you
is about 6" of the floor and these thing are straight in your eyes (not to mention 4x4's) and when they are behind you you may as well take your mirror off (I have to dipped mine to the floor so serve not purpose but I still get dazzled by the door mirrors
I find the cyclists with the head mounted Xenon headlamps at eye level more dazzling.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I absolutely hate fog lights too! Ours hasnt got front ones anyway but if its foggy i only use the rears if i CANT see any other cars behind me! As soon as i CAN clearly see another vehicle behind i turn them off! Its even worse if youre on a bike in the pouring rain when each foglight splits into a million dazzling laser beams in the rain spots on your visor ffs! Why do people drive round London in traffic jams with them on?
! They really should ban the damn things!

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
Sorry but! They are no more annoying than them stupid ultra bright running lights!
Theres 40 foot lorries driving about looking like the house Santa forgot! These really get on my moobs!
when I see foglights I think what a
!
when I see a 40ft lit up like trafalgar square Christmas tree I wonder! 'one rule for one! One rule for another!
I had one behind me last night who supported Liverpool!
how did i know! It looked like a
liverbird was following me!
How do they get away with It?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
If you are not blinded by your dipped beam then you do not need your fogs on hence why they should not work with dipped beams (loads of chavs have them on so their car looks cool with 4 lights on)
If you're blinded by your dipped beam then wouldn't visibility be a lot less than 100 metres? Which means it would be contradicting when you're allowed to have your fog lights on. I would say that front fog lights are just as much for being seen as for being able to see.

At the end of the day it's all down to common sense - if you're in the middle of nowhere then fine, if you're sat in queue of traffic then turn them off. Unfortunately common sense seems to be lacking in far too many road users these days.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you're blinded by your dipped beam then wouldn't visibility be a lot less than 100 metres? Which means it would be contradicting when you're allowed to have your fog lights on. I would say that front fog lights are just as much for being seen as for being able to see.

At the end of the day it's all down to common sense - if you're in the middle of nowhere then fine, if you're sat in queue of traffic then turn them off. Unfortunately common sense seems to be lacking in far too many road users these days.
The 100 yards is the maximum you can see not when it starts to look a bit misty, if you can not make out the lights of a car in front at more than 100 then you would be blinded by the fog and you shouldn't be doing more than 10mph, 100yrs is not very far. But I do take your point re being on your own in the middle of no where then fogs can be useful to help dodging ditches and standing water.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
The 100 yards is the maximum you can see not when it starts to look a bit misty, if you can not make out the lights of a car in front at more than 100 then you would be blinded by the fog and you shouldn't be doing more than 10mph, 100yrs is not very far. But I do take your point re being on your own in the middle of no where then fogs can be useful to help dodging ditches and standing water.
To be honest I didn't know my dipped beams would travel 100 metres, which is why I was questioning the being blinded by them.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be honest I didn't know my dipped beams would travel 100 metres, which is why I was questioning the being blinded by them.
Next time you are on the motorway and approaching a sign turn them off for a second, you will be amazed how far they travel

1 - 20 of 52 Posts