Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

for a couple of months now Ive had as what can only be described as a sort of howling noise when the car is ticking over.

Its not the infamous oil diaphram failure, thats all ok.

The noise increases with engine speed and seems to be coming from where all the pullys are.

When I say howling I guess some would call it whining but its an unusual noise all the same.

There are no other symptoms.

CIA

Nick

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Without hearing the noise i would surmise that the noise is a bearing becoming noisy.
Your biggest concern should be if its coming from the timing belt area, eg water pump.
If that or a timing belt pulley gives way, then its gonna be bent valves and piston soup...
Remove the aux belt, start the car and see if the noise has gone, if it has then the noise is coming from something that is driven by the aux belt. If the noise is still there then its prob coming from the timing belt area, and that can be bad.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Dave.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for that...will get it checked as soon as I can...could it be alternator related, reason I ask is because tonight I noticed that when I put the car under load (headlights,heaters,screen demist ect) Im getting another noise and its not like the one thats normally associated with putting the car under load.

Car is an 07 plate with 24k.

Ta

Nick

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi the problem could be your altenator these normally go at 30.000 but when these go then the battery light normally comes on and the noise gets very bad. the most likely culprit if the battery light is not on would be the aux belt tesioner. remove the aux belt and run the engine as told in the last post.
mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts