Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
Alan St500
3,283 Posts
Wasn’t private nor from a dealership, it was a trader working from his home and didn’t think he would be dodgy as he had r32, mk2.5 rs and also a Nissan gtr he was selling but guess I was wrong and assuming it’s gunna be ridiculously expensive to fix
If he’s a trader then you still have the right to refuse the car unless you got it ridiculously cheap 🤔

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to say 🙈That looks like a shed tbh bud if there is major rot in the sills etc it’s going to get expensive to fix even more so if it’s orange lol
Luckily it’s not orange it all black and we bought it for £4250, have contacted him to ask to contribute to cost to repair he refused so I asked for a refund and he refused and not budging and ended up blocking us

· Registered
Mike Mk2 ST225
3,269 Posts
I always thought sold as seen doesn't mean anything. If it's a car, it needs to function as a car.

If the MOT is dodgy then from a legal fight that could get some really hot water and potentially stop him ripping off others.

You bought the car without being able to see under the bonnet?

Sounds like the car has been neglected and he's potentially an unregistered trader... Pretty sure there's a limit on how many cars you can buy and sell before you can get in trouble for that as well if so...

And if the cars not fit for purpose and won't pass another MOT I'm sure you can hand the car back if he's registered...

Hate to say it but all of that should have provided some knocking or play on a test drive and if you paid top dollar for a car that's rough without even being able to look at it, take it as a lesson learnt. Most people will screw you if it helps them.

Depends on if it's worth the fight or you just suck lemons and fix up a project car.

Good luck getting a better result than I would expect from them

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always thought sold as seen doesn't mean anything. If it's a car, it needs to function as a car.

If the MOT is dodgy then from a legal fight that could get some really hot water and potentially stop him ripping off others.

You bought the car without being able to see under the bonnet?

Sounds like the car has been neglected and he's potentially an unregistered trader... Pretty sure there's a limit on how many cars you can buy and sell before you can get in trouble for that as well if so...

And if the cars not fit for purpose and won't pass another MOT I'm sure you can hand the car back if he's registered...

Hate to say it but all of that should have provided some knocking or play on a test drive and if you paid top dollar for a car that's rough without even being able to look at it, take it as a lesson learnt. Most people will screw you if it helps them.

Depends on if it's worth the fight or you just suck lemons and fix up a project car.

Good luck getting a better result than I would expect from them
cheers for the info I’ve reported the mot test centre to DVSA they sending an inspector to look at car and put it through another mot to see if listed issues are picked up and if they are then I guess the centre who passed it will be in hot water,

I’ve asked that trader for a refund and he basically told me to do one, been citizens advice they even called him and told himthat I’m within my rights for a refund and he refused so citizens advice said only option is to take it to court but I can’t afford to do that,

spoken to numerous mechanics and they all said it’s not economically worth repairing it, so looks like I’m gunna have to take the massive loss and scrap it as I wouldn’t want to sell the car to anyone with what I know is wrong with the car just means I’m gunna be 4k down and without a car

· Premium Member
Alan St500
3,283 Posts
cheers for the info I’ve reported the mot test centre to DVSA they sending an inspector to look at car and put it through another mot to see if listed issues are picked up and if they are then I guess the centre who passed it will be in hot water,

I’ve asked that trader for a refund and he basically told me to do one, been citizens advice they even called him and told himthat I’m within my rights for a refund and he refused so citizens advice said only option is to take it to court but I can’t afford to do that,

spoken to numerous mechanics and they all said it’s not economically worth repairing it, so looks like I’m gunna have to take the massive loss and scrap it as I wouldn’t want to sell the car to anyone with what I know is wrong with the car just means I’m gunna be 4k down and without a car
Doesn’t cost much to take them to court bud all in it’s about £250 quid 👌

· Registered
Mike Mk2 ST225
3,269 Posts
Obviously you can't do anything with the car right now if you're going down the route of pricing mis sold or wherever this goes- mostly new territory for me but your position would determine your choices.

If you can afford the loss then fair play and do what you like, sell for spares or shell, just be honest with the list and don't hide the truth.

I don't think most of that list is particularly expensive individually to put right and anything is repairable... If the car has a genuine reason you bought it and is otherwise running fine might be worth actually getting prices rather than opinions after she's been examined for another MOT. Potentially depending how that goes as well.

But yea small claims isn't expensive, it's based on value of the claim I think. Definitely worth looking into and unfortunately is probably your best option if you can't afford this situation.

But bear in mind, with this st or a different one, they're not cheap cars and most of what we do with them, mod and maintenance is technically "uneconomical"

Sucks to get caught like you have though. Keep us posted

· Premium Member
Alan St500
3,283 Posts
Obviously you can't do anything with the car right now if you're going down the route of pricing mis sold or wherever this goes- mostly new territory for me but your position would determine your choices.

If you can afford the loss then fair play and do what you like, sell for spares or shell, just be honest with the list and don't hide the truth.

I don't think most of that list is particularly expensive individually to put right and anything is repairable... If the car has a genuine reason you bought it and is otherwise running fine might be worth actually getting prices rather than opinions after she's been examined for another MOT. Potentially depending how that goes as well.

But yea small claims isn't expensive, it's based on value of the claim I think. Definitely worth looking into and unfortunately is probably your best option if you can't afford this situation.

But bear in mind, with this st or a different one, they're not cheap cars and most of what we do with them, mod and maintenance is technically "uneconomical"

Sucks to get caught like you have though. Keep us posted
If the claim is under 5k then the process is easy and inexpensive 👍

· Registered
7,019 Posts
Many years ago I was looking at buying a Nissan GTR off a local trader. I gave them my XR3i plus money as a deposit then went on holiday whilst they said they were 'preparing' the car ready for when I got back. I used that time to get an AA inspection on the car to be safe as it was a good chunk of money. I got a call off the AA inspector as I came back off holiday warning me not to buy the car as his report was in the post. In short the car was a bad cut & shut job plus lots of other stuff & wasn't fit for anything but scrapping but was being sold for top dollar - with a recent MOT.
So started a small claims case & when I went to court the whole hearing took about 5 minutes. The trader tried to say the Nissan was good & as I had refused to buy it without a valid reason I couldn't get my car or deposit back - especially as they said they had since sold my XR3i. The judge just showed them the AA report plus pictures and told them to be quiet. Then instructed them to pay me the full market value of my XR3i (more they had given me in PX) plus my deposit, court costs, fees, consequential losses, time off work, compensation & even the cost of postage for my letters! Put it this way I went from a fairly old XR3i to a four year old ST24 plus nearly enough money left in the bank to pay for the holiday I had taken!
The trader then went bust shortly afterwards helped by the fact that my solicitor kept my documents as a basis for a class action for a few other people who he found out had been done over by the same trader. Also the MOT Centre next door to them doing them all their dodgy MOT's got closed as well - after being raided by VOSA.
Best couple of hundred quid I ever spent getting a small claims sorted!!!

· Registered
5,840 Posts
All well and good, but there is a difference between selling a cut and shut that shouldn't be on the road to selling a 15 year old car that needs remedial action. I do concur that it may have been advertised as being better than it actually was. The subsequent engineers report may also exaggerate the problems as well (they all look fixable). Very difficult to say much without seeing the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts