Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Due to the fact my daughter is 17 and insurance is gonna cost £3000 on a group 1 car, I'm thinking of selling my 2008 ST3 to finance it (Only thinking!!). I must be mad.

Anyway, some ideas on what people on this good old forum think I should advertise it for would be good.

It's a red 5 door facelift ST-3 with SatNav and every extra bar cruise control. Full Ford SH (Due June), 4 New Bridgestones, 31000 miles, Everything works as it should and it really is a great car, can't fault it. It's totally standard.

I test drove about 6 and this one just drove miles better than any of the others. I bought it from a local BMW dealer in Feb last year and I'm the 2nd owner.

thanks in anticipation!

Trev.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Insurance for the young is ridiculous. I cant think why so many dont bother. It needs sorting out as it is spiraling out of control. £3k for a year, for goodness sake. Not looking forward to my lad turning 17. I always said we would buy, tax and insure his first car.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Thi is something i totally agree with nobody paid for my car and insurance.....girlfriend was gonna put her son on her old cars insurance!!....no chance...they need to stand on their feet otherwise they appreciate nothing..........and i definitely wouldnt be selling my pride and joy to get my son/daughter a car...you worked hard for your car....stand your ground..

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't get the consternation surrounding the premiums of younger people. In most circumstances cars are a luxury item, not a necessity. I used a bus for two years while I saved up to afford everything I wanted. Not once did I get in a huff about how unfair a high premium seemed. Such arguments would have been unfounded anyway.

Keep your ST and leave your daughter to finance herself. It will be character building and shell love her final purchase all the more for obtaining it using her own blood, sweat and tears.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
My dad bought and paid the insurance on my first car which I used to be rag and had no respect for. It blow up on me so a year later, after I had been working and earnt my own money I decided to I bought my own car which I treated well and drove much more carefully. It is amazing how much more respect you have for something when bought with your own sweat and blood!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
i think the max you'd get for your car is around the 9k mark if you sell private, then to hand over 3k to your daughter for insurance would leave you with just enough to buy an older prefacelift
still think your mad doing it though unless you agree for her to pay you back when she can afford it.
personally if my daughter convinced me to hand over 3k id sooner put it in a trust towards a deposit for a house later on rather than driving a car for a year

·
Registered
609 Posts
perhapse a compromise.My dad wasnt willing to help me at all at first until he saw the wuotes i was getting.He then agreed that as i wasd still at college with a part time job there was no way i was going to be able to drive as the insurance was nearly half my yearly wage!! So he agreed the best compromise would be i buy the car with my money then we go 50/50 on insurance and he kindly paid for my tax and 1st MOT.It relly isnt easy being yourng and unless your 17 in full time work which majority arent then they need financial help.Pride and respect for things has nothing to do with it as if parents didnt step in to help their kids they probably wouldnt bother learning in the first place.Starting from scratch learning to drive at approx £25 per hour is enough to deter most teen let alone the rest of the costs!! I think some of u fogies have forgotten how hard it was when you where younger and the fact is its harder now and more costly than ever before.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Try elephant trevor,i got our 18 year old a corsa and he got cove for £1700, a lot of cash but he had to start off somewhere,i paid it for him and he gives me £160 a month off his wages

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love the replies. You're right.

Made my mind up for me, gonna keep it.

This is what happens when I'm on 12 hour nights, I think up STUPID ideas!!!

Thanks, looking forward to the summer now and doing some mod's........yeehaaaa

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Love the replies. You're right.

Made my mind up for me, gonna keep it.

This is what happens when I'm on 12 hour nights, I think up STUPID ideas!!!

Thanks, looking forward to the summer now and doing some mod's........yeehaaaa
Yeah keep the car and buy her a yearly bus pass and maybe offer her a few lifts,

I sold my 1st to to get what I thought was a bigger and better car ,

Now I'm back in another st and I love it !

You will miss it if you decide to sell up

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Never sell your car to finance your kids first, they'll not appreciate it and only come to expect it again next time round. If they can't afford a car of their own, they don't have one, simple.

Things to try to bring the cost down:
Add on parents/relatives - Preferably female
Try parking on the street instead of the drive or garage
Play about with job titles, similar job titles can make a difference of £40-£50
Always ring, get a price from the comparison sites and then ring and start a quote from scratch over the phone.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
My daughter didn't learn to drive until she was 21. She passed her test last year, first time, both theory & practical. She worked first and saved her money, paid or her own car and insurance. She's 22 now, 1 yrs NCB and pays about £500 fully comp. The only thing I helped her with was an AA membership, half towards a replacement gearbox for her Corsa. A lot of kids rush in driving when it's really expensive and they can't really afford it without bank of mum & dad.
Don't sell your car, you'll regret it. Let the kids work & earn it, then they'll appreciate,and in the long run cost a lot less.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I paid for my gf to pass her test at 21 I've paid for the car insurance and cars she's had fair enough they been ones I like but she has never taken proper care or appreciated them fully like they was hers and brought with her money she's hit my old mondeo her 1st car twice the second quite badly on the rear quarter and let's the kids eat and drink in my st so it's not just teens that don't appreciate anything lol

·
Registered
614 Posts
i would like to know just how many people in this thread have got a 17 yr old daughter,, bear in mind IF trevs daughter is at college, then she can only work part time in the evenings or weekends, i for 1 would prefer to help with the running costs to help my daughter, and know that she was safe and not waiting around on bus stops in the dark with some of the weirdos that are about today..

i paid for my first car myself and all the bills that came with it and didnt have any help, as my parents werent in the financial position to help,
however my first car was a rover 216( the old square one) and the insurance was only about £700 which i agree was a fairly high price in 1993 but if it was todays prices for new drivers there is no way i would of been able to afford it,, when my daughter turned 17 we wanted her to have a safe way to travel to and from college and work, i didnt want her catching buses at stupid times of the night so (me+mrs) paid for her to pass her test, all lessons, theory and practical, but she had to pay her own way after that, she bought a punto and her insurance was about £650,,
we have the same planned with my son for next year, but after all the price hikes for new drivers we have already said that if he gets a sensible car, which he already has the money for, then we will help with his insurance
and although we will help him there is no way i would pay for it all

trev you do what gives you peace of mind mate,, personally i wouldnt sell my car but i would help with her insurance payments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i would like to know just how many people in this thread have got a 17 yr old daughter,, bear in mind IF trevs daughter is at college, then she can only work part time in the evenings or weekends, i for 1 would prefer to help with the running costs to help my daughter, and know that she was safe and not waiting around on bus stops in the dark with some of the weirdos that are about today..

i paid for my first car myself and all the bills that came with it and didnt have any help, as my parents werent in the financial position to help,
however my first car was a rover 216( the old square one) and the insurance was only about £700 which i agree was a fairly high price in 1993 but if it was todays prices for new drivers there is no way i would of been able to afford it,, when my daughter turned 17 we wanted her to have a safe way to travel to and from college and work, i didnt want her catching buses at stupid times of the night so (me+mrs) paid for her to pass her test, all lessons, theory and practical, but she had to pay her own way after that, she bought a punto and her insurance was about £650,,
we have the same planned with my son for next year, but after all the price hikes for new drivers we have already said that if he gets a sensible car, which he already has the money for, then we will help with his insurance
and although we will help him there is no way i would pay for it all

trev you do what gives you peace of mind mate,, personally i wouldnt sell my car but i would help with her insurance payments
You've hit the nail on the head there.
She is at 6th form and bus fares cost a fortune and it takes her ages to get there and back.
I think I'll hang fire and keep an eye out for a bargain car for her in the next 4 months or so (when her bus pass runs out!).
Might even wait til October til she's 18, that way it can be her Birthday present and she's not just getting it for nothing.
Unfortunately (or fortunately!) she doesn't have time for a part time job as she's busy with homework/music. (she's a good kid)
I'd rather she got good A Level results than a part time job!!
Not selling my car though, sure I'd regret it.
thanks Daz.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts