Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line Tech 230
8,096 Posts
300 BHP +/- 10 is about the safe limit , and if you look there are a lot of 300 BHP cars on here . 330 is possiable from Wolf/Code Red , after that you are into a risky area , cracked liners being the biggest problem . Also the clutch and drive shafts are not going to like that sort of power either

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Its hard to give a definite answer, but i would say anything over 330 bhp would be pushing the limits of the liners, unless you had a scan gage etc monitoring engine temps. Its so expensive to go down the route of having stronger liners fitted, that it's prob not worth doing.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
The ST struggles to put down the 225 bhp it comes with as standard! Unless you are getting an LSD theres no point in tuning above the 285 bhp mark in my opinion! Unless of course the only time you use your car is on rolling road days! As to safe limits for tuning, even some bog standard cars have split liners so its a bit of a lottery anyway! Up to 300 bhp you should be ok though unless youre unlucky!

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
QUOTE(darian @ 8 Jan 2010, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>More than 420 bhp can be squeezed from the t5. But you need gt 35 turbo, ported manifold, etc check pumabuild

He didnt said stock turbo or other

LE: Wolf uses a rebuild standard turbo o think. Also pumaspeed have the 340 bhp st350rs

When you refer to the 'T5' engine you have to define just which one you are talking about.

Yes, pretty much all the narrow bore T5 engines built by Volvo for their post '94 larger 850,S/V/C70 and P2 cars will produce well over 400bhp without modifications to their blocks, but the Volvo designed and built 'ST' engine which is also used in their current smaller Focus platform cars is profoundly different in its design in all respects.

I would agree that most modified STs running with reworked turbos will achieve arround the 300bhp mark on sensitively written software....maybe a bit more with some tightening of a standard actuator or an aftermarket one, but that is it.

There have been just a couple of owners that I know of who put together potentially more powerfull cars and in all their innocence or lack of knowledge the engines in their cars split their blocks.

I am intending to put an 'RS' KKK turbo on my own car shortly and fit some different rods that will address the high CR, which together with bigger injectors have the potential of 350bhp plus plus, that together with our knowledge of Ford's files may give us a robust engine if we use our wit.....maybe not. There are examples of Volvo's not dissimilar (in regard to bore dia. and spacing) recently discontinued R engines holding up in excess of 400bhp with a Garrett on, others can go pop arround 335/340. The secret is being very carefull and having all the relevant and neccessary files and a delicate and informed touch....to a point.......

Regards, Don.

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 8 Jan 2010, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The ST struggles to put down the 225 bhp it comes with as standard! Unless you are getting an LSD theres no point in tuning above the 285 bhp mark in my opinion! Unless of course the only time you use your car is on rolling road days! As to safe limits for tuning, even some bog standard cars have split liners so its a bit of a lottery anyway! Up to 300 bhp you should be ok though unless youre unlucky!

+ 1 for the diff mate, i need one so bad!

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
QUOTE(Simo @ 8 Jan 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't the Brand New STS use the same block as the RS? With the stronger liners? I'm pretty sure they do and there are RSs running 370bhp

Chris

Yes they do have the same liners, but it is difficult to ascertain exactly when the change happened.

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
QUOTE(razzleultra @ 8 Jan 2010, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hasn't the RS also got a reworked head along with running a lower CR so it can run higher boost trouble-free?

(I may be imagining this though).

There are a few other differences, hence me mentioning the liners specifically. However, the new design will eliminate the problem of failed liners. Whether this leads to other areas of weakness being put under stress is anyones guess at the moment.

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(razzleultra @ 8 Jan 2010, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hasn't the RS also got a reworked head along with running a lower CR so it can run higher boost trouble-free?

(I may be imagining this though).

it has differnt rods and pistons and a stronger block , just a stronger st engine really , could they not make the st's engine like that the

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
QUOTE(shug1986 @ 8 Jan 2010, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it has differnt rods and pistons and a stronger block , just a stronger st engine really , could they not make the st's engine like that the

From their point of view though, why would they bother?

It handles 225bhp no problem, and making it stronger would presumably just push the price up.

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(razzleultra @ 8 Jan 2010, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From their point of view though, why would they bother?

It handles 225bhp no problem, and making it stronger would presumably just push the price up.

i suppose so but as you see about 90% of the members mod their car's and would probibly want more power if the engine could take it

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
The block is the same as that of the ST and current small Volvos, otherwise the only difference is that the liners are now plasma sprayed with aluminium on the outside which then forms a bond with the molten metal poured into the mould when the block is cast.

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
QUOTE(shug1986 @ 8 Jan 2010, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i suppose so but as you see about 90% of the members mod their car's and would probibly want more power if the engine could take it

For probably 95% of those just with a remap, there aren't any problems when they get their extra 50bhp! It's only a small batch of members on here with clutch slip running just a remap (myself included at one point
).

But yes, it would be great if they sold it with a stronger engine, but thems the breaks I suppose.

If you look at how many STs have been sold, then how many of those are modders, and then how many of those end up running into the issues of a weak engine, I think your down to single digits really, and of those, they've pretty much all got several grands worth of mods on.

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(don kalmar union @ 8 Jan 2010, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The block is the same as that of the ST and current small Volvos, otherwise the only difference is that the liners are now plasma sprayed with aluminium on the outside which then forms a bond with the molten metal poured into the mould when the block is cast.

Regards, Don.

so could you buy an rs block and it would bolt directly on to the st engine there for making it able to run more power ?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I think the real answer to the original topic is 'HOW MUCH MONEY HAVE YOU GOT'.
There are several tuners offering reworked blocks, which in ST terms seems to be the
foundation of the mega tuning possibilities,the ST 5 pot in tuning terms is relatively
new 4yrs ish and the tuning to date really only consists of bolt on parts and ecu maps!
In the future the with work on fueling,crank,pistons and rods etc, the possibility of a
reliable 400+bhp is within easy grasp,but a billet crank,a reworked block etc will set
you back many £1000's of £'s.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.