Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After upgrading to the Mountune 275 kit and having the original parts living in the garage for the last year, the other half has ordered them gone. Not really knowing the value of these bits (only used in the first 6 months), I was hoping one of you kind gentlepersons might point me in the right direction or give me a good guide on what I could sell them for. Is there any market for these bits?

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
271 Posts
After upgrading to the Mountune 275 kit and having the original parts living in the garage for the last year, the other half has ordered them gone. Not really knowing the value of these bits (only used in the first 6 months), I was hoping one of you kind gentlepersons might point me in the right direction or give me a good guide on what I could sell them for. Is there any market for these bits?

Thanks

Adam
Adam, I see plenty of these on facebook groups, the stock parts don't go for much unfortunately. Do like I did, stick them in the loft where the wife can't see them!

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,662 Posts
As above stock parts don't go for much in case someone is wanting to revert a car back to stock for selling it which with most Mk3 owners is probably a little way away at the moment! On the subject of Mk3 intercoolers though I am still trying to get my head round them. Most tuning places say that the standard upgrade 'kit' for the Mk3 is intercooler, induction, exhaust, & map - like the Mk2. However talking with Collins they say that the OEM Mk3 intercooler is the same spec as the Mk2 RS intercooler & is good for up to the 320bhp kit they sell?

Therefore their upgrades don't include an intercooler. Did you notice any difference with having yours fitted & was it noticeably bigger/thicker than the OEM one? It is just that if one is not needed that is some £500 odd that can be spent on something else! The only bonus I can see with fitting a bigger intercooler may be if it comes with the larger diameter/big bore boost pipes as fitting those to my old 500 certainly made a difference.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Im in the same boat got all these standard spare parts up in the loft intercooler, active grille shutters, cat/downpipe etc, trouble is the mrs has spotted them so theyve got to go.
I have advertised the intercooler on Facebook for £50 but no takers so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, totally new here and this is my first post! I've had the same dilemma with intercoolers but decided to go ahead and buy one. I bought a forge motorsport one which came with big bore hard pipe kit as well which was a bonus! After talking to a few different tuning companies i decided to buy one as they all highly recommend I got a better intercooler because they saw heat soak on the standard one as soon as only one pull on the dyno. I understand what people say about it was on the rs mk2 but I guess that's a totally different engine to our 2.0 EcoBoost. I reckon with our little turbos working so hard creates far higher egts and inlet temps than the bigger turbo did on the mk2 rs. My only experience I can share after putting the intercooler on (despite a tiny bit of lag as I ideally need a map) is that the car doesnt dial back the power at high rpm. This is something I noticed with my st sometimes... more in summer, I could feel the power die of higher up the revs and this doesnt seem to happen anymore with my bigger intercooler... thus creating a feeling of more power up top! I'm by far no expert but thought I would share my experience! Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,662 Posts
Having spoken to Collins again they have again confirmed that a bigger intercooler is not needed on the Mk3 to see a safe 320bhp. You would only need something if you went forged & went for Mk3 RS power or more. They say if anything the Mk3 is overly cooled for once by Ford! Hence the need for the active grille shutters which are there to regulate the I/C temperatures. The y sometimes can be a little slow to open or close at which point you can see a brief spike in temperatures but once open these temps drop right down. They have done multiple tests & can prove this?

What they say is that a lot of these tuning companies don't make the maps as well so are selling someone else's map hence want you to buy as much as possible from them hence buying a very expensive intercooler which gives minimal additional benefit - other than to their bank balance! I agree - as to Collins - that the design of the Mk3 turbo & manifold is not ideal however without swapping all of it out fitting a bigger intercooler adds so little to the car it is not worth doing.

Therefore for me that is another £500-£700 I can spend on other mods then that do add power.......................like twin OTT racing stripes..................................!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts