Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tight parking space to fit into, so was quite keen to get a reverse camera fitted.

Having no experience of this in the past, I followed the power instructions from http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/Hardwiring...ble-t59207.html

With a little bidding on eBay, I picked a pair of theese up for £55

And the wireless camera for £15

The finnished result looks something like this,

The camera drilled into the towing eye cover, so if I ever need to remove it, its quite simple. Wired directly to the reverse light.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Scully, I absolutely love it! I have a very similar topic going about doing a tracker for under £70. I think them monitors look awesome can we have some more pics of where the wireless receiver is etc.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You remove the old sun visor, and thread the wire out.

Now remove the door seal, and shove the wire in under the door pillar trim, it comes out in the compartment at the bottom of the dash.

I just followed the instructions for power from the thread in post 1.

All of the wiring and reciever is under this trim.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
There isn't loads of space. I used some sticky back velcrow, and stuck it all to the back...

I hard wired the screen, and an accesory socket.

Then bought a 12v adaptor from maplins, to power the reciever.

NOw I have a spare socket under there for use in the future.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Great idea having the monitor in the sun visor, out of sight.

What's the view like when reversing into a space at night though?
I have 5% limo tints on my rear windows which reduces vision when reverse parking at night.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Can you do a photo not so close up of the camera,

It would be good if it could go on under the boot handle

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Having used this for a couple of weeks, the camera gets plenty of light, and visibility is good.

The only thing I would change is the camera itself.
In order to be able to judge distances you need a rounded bubble camera - so I wouldn't reccomend a camera with a flat lense.

I'll see if I can get another pic from the rear for you.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I completely forgot to attach the camera picture from the back. Hopefully theese will make up for it.

PS. You can't fit it in the number plate - As there isn't any space behind for the camera to hide.

Attachments

·
Former L&SE chef
458 Posts
Cut all that nonsense out with receivers and drilling holes in a £13000.00 car and go for this option.
The camera is like the pic in Therion's post.
Wouldn't it look stupid having odd sunvisors!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I admitted defeat - and the wireless option broke, it was never designed for exterior use... I have gone for the one fitted in the rear number plate light.

Much better result.

26052010365.jpg

26052010369.jpg

26052010366.jpg

Excuse the poor pictures, I've only just finished - and they were taken in the dark on my phone.

Anyone with any questions, drop me a PM

Attachments

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's pretty awesome - much tidier! Couple of silly questions as I'm getting a Kenwood unit soon...

The 'assist' lines that are drawn on the screen - are they correct for distances and width of the ST or can they be changed if required?

Also, as most of us have the LED numberplate lights, just wondered how the light in the camera unit looks? I imagine more standard than the white LED look? Not really an issue, but I like my white light at the rear! Not that I can even see it!

Was there enough AV cable with the camera to route to the front in the end then? I assume relatively easy to hook up the input to the head unit? And then just a case of putting reverse live into the mix to have it pop on when in reverse.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

Q.The 'assist' lines that are drawn on the screen - are they correct for distances and width of the ST or can they be changed if required?

A. I have no idea yet, they seem pretty good - but i'll need a few weeks to 'trial it'. They are fixed guide lines, and come as part of the camera - you can't alter them, or turn them on / off.

Q. Also, as most of us have the LED numberplate lights, just wondered how the light in the camera unit looks? I imagine more standard than the white LED look? Not really an issue, but I like my white light at the rear! Not that I can even see it!

A.It's a sealed unit, and doesn't have the option for LED's

Q' Was there enough AV cable with the camera to route to the front in the end then? I assume relatively easy to hook up the input to the head unit? And then just a case of putting reverse live into the mix to have it pop on when in reverse.

A. Yes, there is 5m, which is just about enough, I don't think there was much spare.

Edit. Some dodgy fitting pictures can be found here
http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/69501-ford-st-reversing-boot-camera/page__pid__719694__st__0&#entry719694

1 - 20 of 21 Posts