Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered an Road Sport intercooler from Pumaspeed and was wondering how to modify the plastic air deflectors. Any one got a how to guide?

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I guess there not needed then James.
No mate, once you start going for bigger intercoolers they take up more space anyway. It's the fact that the standard one really is small means they are required.

Pumaspeed fitted the Roadsport intercooler to my car and just removed the deflectors and gave them back to me with the standard intercooler.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No mate, once you start going for bigger intercoolers they take up more space anyway. It's the fact that the standard one really is small means they are required.

Pumaspeed fitted the Roadsport intercooler to my car and just removed the deflectors and gave them back to me with the standard intercooler.
Ahh right, Got any pics of the Road Sport intercooler fitted?

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Ahh right, Got any pics of the Road Sport intercooler fitted?
No sorry mate I had the black one like you have ordered and as its black with no logo you don't notice it behind the grills. It's very stealth.

I've it the larger stage 3 Roadsport intercooler now for bigger power. I really rate the Roadsport products that's why I stayed with the same brand
The one I have now is black with a red logo.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No sorry mate I had the black one like you have ordered and as its black with no logo you don't notice it behind the grills. It's very stealth.

I've it the larger stage 3 Roadsport intercooler now for bigger power. I really rate the Roadsport products that's why I stayed with the same brand
The one I have now is black with a red logo.
Yeah, wanted the stealth look too, thats why i went for black with no logo. Just didn't want it to stand out.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I cut my deflectors down when I fitted my airtec and it's just a case of cutting the rubbery bit off the back of them (you'll see what I mean when you have them off
) it is a case off trial and error cut a little off first and then put back in to see how much more to take off
I do recommend you refit them as on the drivers side the belts are a little exposed and it's only 10 more minutes work...

I wish I took a picture off them now
with the amount off threads like this that pop up.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Would you say the black effects any heat transfer? or the cooling compared to the metal alloy. Do you know what I mean lol I think im just talking p o o o o

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I had a Radtec fitted at Collins and Gary just took my deflectors off and gave them back. Not had any issues not having them refitted

·
Registered
333 Posts
I did modify and cut the deflectors, tbh that took the longest time out of the job, thy're not perfect but I would say their adequate!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I cut my deflectors down when I fitted my airtec and it's just a case of cutting the rubbery bit off the back of them (you'll see what I mean when you have them off
) it is a case off trial and error cut a little off first and then put back in to see how much more to take off
I do recommend you refit them as on the drivers side the belts are a little exposed and it's only 10 more minutes work...

I wish I took a picture off them now
with the amount off threads like this that pop up.
What did you use to cut them?

Would a sharp stanley knife do it or am i going to need a good hacksaw?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am lucky enough to have a dremel but a junior hacksaw would be ok too. I had to trim then fit them, put the new intercoller in and remove intercooler to make final trim, a bit of a faff but thats how I did it. drivers side could have done with a bit more but as 07stash said at least belts are not exposed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I fitted a airtec gen 3. I refitted the plastic deflectors and like most didn't take any pics. My only word on the subject is you trap the air inside and it can only go throught the intercooler. Tried after the event, it looked good, black deflectors against a black intercooler on a black car. My top tip would be don't rush it and get a dremel. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
What did you use to cut them?

Would a sharp stanley knife do it or am i going to need a good hacksaw?
A sharp Stanley might do it as its only a bt off rubbery plastic but iirc I used a hacksaw

I kept my intercooler in when test fitting the cut down deflectors its a tight squeeze but as they're plastic they bend and squeeze in to position
honestly its not as hard as it sounds its just quite hard to explain but you'll see more clearly once you have all bits in front off you

Oh and take some photos for the next thread like this

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A sharp Stanley might do it as its only a bt off rubbery plastic but iirc I used a hacksaw

I kept my intercooler in when test fitting the cut down deflectors its a tight squeeze but as they're plastic they bend and squeeze in to position
honestly its not as hard as it sounds its just quite hard to explain but you'll see more clearly once you have all bits in front off you

Oh and take some photos for the next thread like this
Cheers Ashley,

I'll get some pics up when i fit it next week.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I shall be keeping an eye out.
When I fitted my new radiator the other week I had to take these off for access so took some photos

This is what i did to mine.... I just cut off the rubbery bit on the back all the way down from top to bottom (you'll see which bit I mean when you have yours off
)

It's a bit trial and error, cut a bit refit to see how much to take off but quite easy

Cknott20 are you getting the radtech?? This was for the airtec so I'm not sure if it would be the same

1 - 20 of 22 Posts