Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get my Eibachs off of the original shocks.

I tried yesterday, but the inner bit (with the allen key) appears split in two. So as you start to turn, it opens and doesn't work.
Obviously this is in conjunction with the 18mm spanner.

What's the easiest way to get it off?

·
Registered
786 Posts
you could try clamping the springs to take some pressure off the top mounts and then clamp the outside of the bolt with mole grips or something similar to stop it from opening?! ermm or maybe try what I just said plus add some heat to help expand everything a little, will make it a bit easier to loosen off! Or maybe try a larger allen key?

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you could try clamping the springs to take some pressure off the top mounts and then clamp the outside of the bolt with mole grips or something similar to stop it from opening?! ermm or maybe try what I just said plus add some heat to help expand everything a little, will make it a bit easier to loosen off! Or maybe try a larger allen key?
I did wonder if the springs needed clamping to take the strain off the top mount. It's possible and would explain why it aint budging!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I did wonder if the springs needed clamping to take the strain off the top mount. It's possible and would explain why it aint budging!
Definately worth a try! Worst comes to the worst you could tack weld the sides to allow you to loosen it then cut off the top (welded) bit once its loose so that you can remove the top mount completely, either way it sounds like you need a new bolt anyway! not sure if that bolt is part of the strut assembly though so I'd maybe not follow that advise without checking! Wouldnt want to be the cause of you having to buy a new strut

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
spring clamps are best. if the old shocks are knackered, squeeze the coil down so you can grab the shaft with vicelocks and turn the nut with a spanner. sounds like the end where the Allen key goes is damaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts