Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Founder (retired)
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Its great to see so many of you enjoying the project forums and sharing your work with others, as either someone who just browses or someone who runs a project, how do you think we could improve this part of the forums?

As a secondary question... who knows about the Garage System (link in the main menu bar) and whats the reasons you use this forum section over that system?

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Jim

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The problem with the project forum is that the vast majority of threads are not unique. Perhaps having a dedicated build thread sub forum could help keep the unique project forum unique.

As for the garage system. I think it's a good idea, but it just doesn't get used properly. I think the main reason for this is that it feels seperate to the actual forum. I much prefer having a build thread over the garage.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
And the 500kb limit in the garage is ridiculous.
I don't want to spend ages resizing my pics to go under 500kb, so I don't bother. So the Garage function doesn't get used.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
As the main moaner i think you should either change the name to just Members Cars or split it into two categories? At the moment people are put off posting in it, A) Because they might feel that thier post is really unique or custom (although this doesnt seem to bother that many people lol) or B) Because they feel their post IS custom and unique but that it will get lost among the hundreds of threads about painted calipers and footwell lights! I must admit ive never even looked at the Garage System?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think there need to be 2 sub category's one entitled "garage" people's build threads, then one entitled "unique builds and projects".

I think the trouble might be defining what is "unique"

I don't think we want to lose all the usual build with footwell LEDs, painted brakes etc, because it is nice for users just to keep track of there own cars and can also be a useful source of information for other users.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
How about a form of search check list, so when someone has a SG car with different wheels/suspension/exhaust bla bla bla, they check the SG wheels and whatever else they have changed/modded.
So instead of having to search a specific phrase, you can check off what you want to look at, this way you stand more of a chance of seeing what you want to see instead of searching for "exhaust" and ending up with every mention of exhaust in the section, you actually turn out a result of a car with a modded exhaust in the specific colour you are looking for. Especially if you can search a specific word or phrase too.

Just an idea and imagine it'll be pretty complicated to set up??

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Get rid of the word Unique. Job done.
Best get rid of the word Project too as in my book a project is something like converting it to 4 wheel drive or putting the engine in the back not bolting on a load of off the shelf items and painting a couple of things? To be honest i wouldnt class our car as a project or unique! End of the day its a Focus ST with some tuning parts and some stripes!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Best get rid of the word Project too as in my book a project is something like converting it to 4 wheel drive or putting the engine in the back not bolting on a load of off the shelf items and painting a couple of things? To be honest i wouldnt class our car as a project or unique! End of the day its a Focus ST with some tuning parts and some stripes!
JUst change it to..members and their cars...no one has a unique car on here unless its something pretty radical and project isnt the best word to use.....unless your changing the look completely or the actual running gear nothing qualifies for this section......members and their cars..would do

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
So, If I'm reading this right, we're not allowed to use the words, "custom", "unique" or "project"?

Let's just call it the "I had too much time on my hands and was let loose with a spray can forum" and be done with it

No, on a serious note, I think we should just have another forum called "members cars" and leave the custom/unique stuff alone. I'd be more than happy to have my thread moved if needed.

·
Registered
649 Posts
a separate section actual custom/unique stuff and another for the usual build threads

i have a build thread and i also have a thread in there on a front splitter from a mk5 astra im making fit the car so to me that is custom/unique where as my main one is simply a build thread.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Get rid of the word Unique. Job done.
Couldn't agree more.

How do you know your project isn't unique without trawling through everyone's post so its perfectly legitimate at the moment to post something in that section which that person believes to be uncommon.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Couldn't agree more.

How do you know your project isn't unique without trawling through everyone's post so its perfectly legitimate at the moment to post something in that section which that person believes to be uncommon.
Have you read any of the threads? If people really believe what they are posting is unique then they obviously havent lol!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just follow topics you know you will want to read as it progresses in the future or remember the name or apart of the name of the thread titel and use the search.
Sure we could have it split into different sections but is anyone actually not happy with the current set up?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I think you should just change the name to " build threads" and then let people do this, and if you want to keep track on a thread, have a option that lets you, although I thought you could already do this. I have kept my own car stuff on photobucket, so I can look at the little bits I have done, but wouldn't post it in the section as its not unique etc. but It would be nice to put them on the forum.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts