Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all

Has anyone got any suggestions on what to use to get rid of rust from the metal bit on the callipers (see piccie below taken before they went rusty). I can't take the wheel off, so it needs to be something that won't muck up the alloys if I get some on them, oh and also something that won't stop the brakes from working

Babygurl__115__copy.jpg

It doesn't need to be a great job, but I just need to remove the worst of it from around the edges as I have some sweet little calliper badges to put on.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
QUOTE(Donna @ 19 Feb 2010, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Afternoon all

Has anyone got any suggestions on what to use to get rid of rust from the metal bit on the callipers (see piccie below taken before they went rusty). I can't take the wheel off, so it needs to be something that won't muck up the alloys if I get some on them, oh and also something that won't stop the brakes from working

View attachment 37607

It doesn't need to be a great job, but I just need to remove the worst of it from around the edges as I have some sweet little calliper badges to put on.

the only thing that a can think of is a small wire bruch and some brake cleaner if your not takin the wheel off, you would be better takin it off tho might be tricky other wise

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
why cant you get the wheels off ??

i sanded mine down when i painted my calipers but left them alone , mine have since gone rusty .. so im either going to take them off and sand them down then spray them silver with loads of lacquer or just buy some more and spray those .. i also have some of the small ST stickers from dmb that i need to put on

either way you need to take your wheels off to get to them properly ...

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(focus149 @ 19 Feb 2010, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>why cant you get the wheels off ??

Because I'm a rubbish girly and can't do anything remotely technical like taking the wheel off

Also, I wanted to get it done by Sunday so I'm lacking in time to take it anywhere to get it done, which is why I wondered if there was some sort of 'super' product!

Thanks for your replies guys

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Unfortunately there is no quick fix either with the wheel on or off.

For the best finish, have them blasted then primed/painted/laquered.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(Donna @ 19 Feb 2010, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Because I'm a rubbish girly and can't do anything remotely technical like taking the wheel off

Dont be daft

As previously stated I'd use small wire brush and some brake cleaner spray. One advantage to doing it with the wheel on is that with small girlie hands you shouldnt have a problem!

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(DaveCHCI @ 19 Feb 2010, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One advantage to doing it with the wheel on is that with small girlie hands you should have a problem!

Thanks for all your replies, I'm off to try and find the wire brush. Luckily the autosol is already out from doing the exhaust early - I did try it on the offending metal bit without sanding/wire brushing, but it wasn't having none of it!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
It'll clean up nicely with a small wire brush or a bit of scotch pad and then some autosol, but it will go rusty again unless you have it plated or painted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts